FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Remind me not to be optimistic (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Remind me not to be optimistic
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: I apologize for my part in hijacking your thread. (I know I hate it when my threads drift to distant places.)

PSI: Just a quick grammar nazi... it's "fewer penises" not "less penises."

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:

PSI: Just a quick grammar nazi... it's "fewer penises" not "less penises."

Actually, it's "fewer penes."

What does Hatrack call that again? Davidson's law?

... *scans post for typos*

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, both pluralizations are correct.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I checked Wikipedia and it lists both Penes and Penises. I prefer the "penes" plural because it sounds cooler, but then I would have seemed like I was correcting the plural of penis rather than the lesser/fewer issue. Plus my spelling checker lights up "Penes" as a misspelling, but not "Penises."

I was going to make a reference to Davidson's law in my post, but decided to let someone else find it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penis
quote:

The penis (plural penises, penes) is an external sexual organ of certain biologically male organisms.

And here we go with a fresh new hijack. Sorry again Lisa.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I know exactly what you mean. But it's a marvelous gift to have been wronged and to still give the wrongdoer the opportunity to right it. I'm very glad you have taken this approach.

Well... she didn't wrong us. And I can't really know what her husband's issues are. Maybe his parents divorced when his mom came out and he has a hard time because of that. Not that I know anything about him (or his mom or his parents in general), but that kind of thing is always possible. Beyond that, the average Orthodox Jew really does think -- not based on any personal learning of the material, nor based on having asked a rabbi, but merely based on a kind of "everyone knows" -- that gay/lesbian = icky/wrong. This guy is probably just operating on the basis of what he considers to be "common knowledge". I'm not angry at him. Just hurt. Again.
I meant that in reference to the husband not the wife, but you seem have gotten that. Try to minimize the hurt feelings, I'm sure it was nothing personal on his part, meaning if two other women of similar circumstances had invited him over he would have objected all the same. Again I'm glad you are taking the moral high ground rather then cutting off what could still evolve into a friendship with both husband and wife.

edit: Oh and don't forget to not be optimistic. [Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
Hmm...I don't buy it.

I'm a heterosexual female, and I completely buy it.

Have I ever made out with another woman? No. Do I see the appeal? Yes. Do I see the appeal it might have for a man? Yes.

That's kind of the crux of it. The idea that men are the "standard" for sexuality is the problem, imo, in this breakdown of our sexuality.

When we say women are sexually "flexible," why do we not say that men are "inflexible," because that is far more true. Men really do prefer to go straight off in one direction or another, and don't trust those who claim to be bisexual often times, assuming they are "gay with a publicist."

From what I've learned in basic psych courses and from loveline (where they often talked about active scans of the brain in various states of arousal), men view the sexuality of other men as threatening. It is not so much that women find each other attractive because women are more inherently attractive, but because women are naturally more receptive to sexuality and less threatened by it. It would stand to reason that women would not be sexually threatened by other women in the same way as men are by other men, because of the roles of the sexes that are common among all mammals.

So guys, I think it's we who are uptight. Though I have no reason to believe that nature did not intend such a state- I prefer a woman who is at least interested in sex, and I think seeing someone (or two someones) being sexually evocative is appealing. I tend to believe I was made that way.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Actually, I checked Wikipedia and it lists both Penes and Penises. I prefer the "penes" plural because it sounds cooler, but then I would have seemed like I was correcting the plural of penis rather than the lesser/fewer issue. Plus my spelling checker lights up "Penes" as a misspelling, but not "Penises."

I was going to make a reference to Davidson's law in my post, but decided to let someone else find it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penis
quote:

The penis (plural penises, penes) is an external sexual organ of certain biologically male organisms.

And here we go with a fresh new hijack. Sorry again Lisa.
Hah, alright, I concede. [Smile]
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just it - there's nothing here but various anecdotes and some made up science to justify them.

I counter them with my own anecdotes which certainly do not match what has been expressed in the thread, and no one is the wiser either.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Pix- But "less penises" makes me giggle more.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I counter them with my own anecdotes which certainly do not match what has been expressed in the thread
They don't countradict what has been expressed in the thread either.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.