FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mormons, Evangelicals, and a Stupid Robber. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mormons, Evangelicals, and a Stupid Robber.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, do you think you are mistaking ignorance for malice?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
On the other hand, I don't think you actually understand that Mormons are often treated like you rather than at a different level than you.
Mormons are only treated like pagans in towns where there are so few legitimately non-Christian people that the "real" Christians need to start counting the points of the stars on their bellies. I'm not expecting Mormons and atheists to align against the Baptists any day soon; the reverse, however, happens fairly often.

In other words, Mormons only get discriminated against when there's no one else conveniently to hand.

That made me life like crazy. Even in areas where there are a vastly larger number of Mormons than Evangelicals, the Evangelicals tend to be so vitriolic and hateful towards us that it boggles the mind. Furthermore, are you honestly implying that those who don't believe in a supreme being are 100% benevolent in dealing with those who do? You've GOT to be kidding me.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Furthermore, are you honestly implying that those who don't believe in a supreme being are 100% benevolent in dealing with those who do?
No. I'm saying that people tend to fear and distrust things and people they don't understand, and that religion is a common point of misunderstanding and disagreement. Ergo, people can be expected to fear and distrust those who do not share their religion until they get to know them better.

However, evangelical Christians and Mormons have more social policies and broad beliefs in common with each other than they have with, say, liberal atheists or Hindus. Moreover, evangelicals and Mormons both enjoy sizable geographic regions of the country in which they make up a demographic majority, giving them a cultural and political power lacking in truly minority cultures. For this reason, it can be expected that it is generally more convenient for them to ally against other groups until they run out of those groups in their immediate sphere of influence. Once that happens, it's human nature for them to start inspecting "their own" population for more subtle forms of deviance. In other words, once all the public atheists, Muslims, etc. in the immediate field of fire have been successfully silenced, only then will the various Christian sects bother to turn their full guns on each other.

If a Muslim were running for the Republican nomination, Romney's religion wouldn't come up. It is only because there is the safe expectation of Christian values that the subtle (and not-so-subtle) distinctions between sects becomes relevant.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree- I think if a Muslim were running, they would still go after Romney's religion. In part, because there is no fear that anyone will confuse the evil Muslim with a good Christian. Same with persecuting the atheists. They don't need to because it is so obvious. But their kids and co-workers could easily be confused by the LDS and tricked into thinking that Mormons are not evil. Therefore, they need to have classes on how evil we are and constantly repeat it.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, the Mormon bashing goes on in many churches even with the presence of other religions in the area. In fact, they're sometimes seen as more of a "threat" because of their similarities. I've been in some churches where there is a lot of fear of the Other, and I'm disgusted (but not surprised) that many of you have been on the receiving end of quite a bit of nastiness.

Having said that, I don't think that things will get better for you even if the common perception is that Mormons are a type of Christian. Some of the more conservative evangelical churches tend to think of more moderate or liberal Christians (and also Catholics) as inferior, and some go so far as to say that a majority are not "saved."

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the classes exist only because the Mormons actively recruit, and the doctrinal differences between the sects (real and imagined) are often not "fairly" discussed during that recruitment. It's not necessary to hold a class in order to establish why a Hindu is going to Hell, but it takes a fair bit of understanding to "realize" why a Mormon is.

When I was a Baha'i, I was amused by the anti-Baha'i pamphlets and "classes," too. They basically consisted of, "Yeah, Baha'is believe in Christ. They also don't think Christ was God, and look pretty Islamic to us. 'Nuff said."

--------

Here's something I genuinely don't get. I often hear LDS complaining about Baptist portrayals of them "eating babies" or having horns. I'll take this at face value, and assume that this kind of rumor still actually exists. But I have never heard a Baptist accuse a non-Christian of "eating babies" or "having horns" or anything like that; they may go for the "X has sex with sheep" winky slander, or the "you can't trust those Y," but I don't know anybody who truly believes that even a Satanist has a third nipple or a lazy eye or a telltale birthmark. Does anyone else? Where does this sort of concrete demonization still happen, and to whom?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this kind of "X eats babies" kind of thing has a pretty long history.
e.g. http://www.religioustolerance.org/jud_blib1.htm

quote:

Perhaps the most common, and probably the most long-lasting and hurtful is the "Blood Libel" myth.

Blood Libel is the accusation by "religious group A" that "religious group B" is committing unbelievably despicable acts of ritual murder. Typically, the story contains a number of riveting details:
* a victim is kidnapped by members of "religious group B."
* the victim is usually an innocent person. An infant, young child or a blond blue-eyed teenage virgin girl are typical.
* the victim may be abused or tortured. They are ritually killed in order to meet the requirements of the perpetrator's religion.
* in an act of cannibalism, the victim's body is eaten and/or the blood is consumed.
* obscene sexual orgies (sometimes involving incest) are held during or after the ritual.

There are about 12 examples of accusers versus accused. Christians are involved as accusers eight times and as accused four times.

Despite the length of the list, Mormons don't even make the list of the 12 major examples [Wink] Although...
quote:
For example, a public opinion poll in Utah revealed that 90% of the population believed in evil Satanic cults ritually abusing children.
Here's a fun quote:
quote:
R.V. Canning of the FBI commented in a 1992 report: "In books, lectures, handout material, and conversations, I have heard all of the following referred to as satanism: Church of Satan, Ordo Templi Orientis, Temple of Set, Demonology, Witchcraft, Occult, Paganism, Santeria, Voodoo, Rosicrucians, Freemasonry, Knights Templar, Stoner Gangs, Heavy Metal Music, Rock Music, KKK, Nazis, Skinheads, Scientology, Unification Church, The Way, Hare Krishna, Rajneesh, Religious Cults, New Age, Astrology, Channeling, Transcendental Meditation, Holistic Medicine,Buddhism, Hinduism, Mormonism, Islam, Orthodox Church, Roman Catholicism." To this list, can be added Wicca, Druidism, various other Neopagan faiths, Goddess Worship, a number of 12 step self help organizations such as Alcoholic Anonymous, and even the Society of Friends (Quakers). This modern form of blood libel myth is called Satanic Ritual Abuse or Sadistic Ritual Abuse (SRA).

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To be honest, I'm just disappointed that the Mormons are apparently only now realizing that some right-wing Evangelicals have a nasty streak. (Note: that "some" is in there quite explicitly. I do not mean to imply that all or most or even a significant minority of Evangelicals are "nasty." However, I think a disproportionate number of politically-minded and/or media-savvy Evangelicals are very nasty, indeed, perhaps because it's exactly that sort of person who's drawn to politics and/or mediavangelism.)
It's nothing new. It's usually just par for the course. But with Mitt Romney's Mormonism in the national spotlight, suddenly it's become something we have to respond to in a PR/national news sort of way. All of a sudden the average LDS church member has to be able to clearly vocalize how they feel about it.

quote:
Here's something I genuinely don't get. I often hear LDS complaining about Baptist portrayals of them "eating babies" or having horns. I'll take this at face value, and assume that this kind of rumor still actually exists. But I have never heard a Baptist accuse a non-Christian of "eating babies" or "having horns" or anything like that; they may go for the "X has sex with sheep" winky slander, or the "you can't trust those Y," but I don't know anybody who truly believes that even a Satanist has a third nipple or a lazy eye or a telltale birthmark. Does anyone else? Where does this sort of concrete demonization still happen, and to whom?
I ran into that to some degree as a missionary in southern Belgium and northern France. Nothing so Weekly World News-esque as Mormons having horns, but we did meet people who thought we were there to steal their daughters and lock them up in the Mormon temple in Salt Lake City, etc. But those people were usually drunk.

kmboots and Dagonee, I genuinely didn't (and still don't really) understand how central the doctrine of the Trinity is to you in being Christian. I can see how it would be hard to think about Mormons as Christians in that light.

With the amount of active proselytizing that members of the LDS church do, there is going to be friction. We are not a close-out-the-rest-of-the-world kind of church. I'm not saying we're inviting the attacks that are launched against us, and the persecution we do face right now is nothing compared to that suffered by the early church. Neither do we particularly revel in being martyrs. But we're not some poor little boy huddled in the corner whimpering while the crowd throws sticks at him, either. We expend considerable energy making our beliefs known to the world, we know they're fairly peculiar to many people, and we know some persecution is bound to come of it. My real fear, personally, is that some LDS church members somewhere will decide to give as good as they get.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
I think this kind of "X eats babies" kind of thing has a pretty long history.
e.g. http://www.religioustolerance.org/jud_blib1.htm

quote:

Perhaps the most common, and probably the most long-lasting and hurtful is the "Blood Libel" myth.

Blood Libel is the accusation by "religious group A" that "religious group B" is committing unbelievably despicable acts of ritual murder. Typically, the story contains a number of riveting details:
* a victim is kidnapped by members of "religious group B."
* the victim is usually an innocent person. An infant, young child or a blond blue-eyed teenage virgin girl are typical.
* the victim may be abused or tortured. They are ritually killed in order to meet the requirements of the perpetrator's religion.
* in an act of cannibalism, the victim's body is eaten and/or the blood is consumed.
* obscene sexual orgies (sometimes involving incest) are held during or after the ritual.

This can easily be traced back to the fourteenth century when stories of Jews ritually murdering Christian children (in ways which mocked the crucifixion) began circulating as ways to rouse a crowd. Not exactly a shining moment in history. Not exactly stuff to be proud of, then or now, but good to remember in the hopes of not repeating it.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
This can easily be traced back to the fourteenth century when stories of Jews ritually murdering Christian children (in ways which mocked the crucifixion) began circulating as ways to rouse a crowd. Not exactly a shining moment in history. Not exactly stuff to be proud of, then or now, but good to remember in the hopes of not repeating it.

Wow. My eyes jumped over "stories of", and for a second I thought you were claiming that Jews actually did those things. First time I've been shocked in a long time. Not on my Hatrack!

Luckily, it's just late, and my sleepy eyes deceived me. [Blushing]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandparents were convinced that part of temple marriage involved having intercourse witnessed by all the bishops, to prove that the girl was a virgin. I am not really sure that she ever really believed us when we told her that isn't what happened. Not quite eating babies but pretty ucky.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

EL: Actually, if you follow the link you'll find at least four examples before that with one example occuring when Christians did not even exist yet.

The Jews ritually murdering Christian children thing is just the first example they go into detail about.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think those people on the other side of the river, you know.... THEM... those so called "Discussions about Orson Scott Card" people... I think they kidnap kittens and ritually sacrifice them to their heathen gods, then eat them and use their fur for wall decorations. I heard they do that.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with that? [Big Grin]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana, I'm a frequent attendee of that side of the river, and I can honestly say that no one over there treats kittens that way.

Except me.

> [Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
<watches her kittens zealously>
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you're baptized as a Baptist, that's good in a Methodist church, an Assembly of God church, a Lutheran church, etc. The specific subset is irrelevant so long as the doctrine matches what they view as Christian.
This is pretty late in the game, but I just wanted to throw this in, because it's late and I'm bored. The quote above isn't actually true. Many denominations reject the baptisms performed in other denominations unless they are almost exactly like their own. For example, the Southern Baptist churches reject the baptism of the members of the Church of Christ because supposedly the Church of Christ believes that you HAVE to be baptized to be saved, whereas the Southern Baptists don't. They don't actively speak out against them, but a member of the C of C can't join a Southern Baptist church without being baptized again in the new church. There may be exceptions to this, but this is the official position as far as I know, or it's the one that's enforced most often. (It's pretty silly of the Southern Baptists, IMO, for them to claim that baptism isn't essential to salvation, but that it IS essential to being a baptist, and that not any baptism will do.) So, very small differences in doctrine can keep you out of the club, as it were. And don't even get me started on sprinkling versus immersion.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:
Originally posted by Philosofickle:
Not on how we are saved, or why we are saved, or even what saves us, but on the exact characteristics of that savior.

What's more important?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For trinitarian Christianity "how we are saved" and "what saves us" are absolutely dependent on the those "exact characteristics" of the savior.
Unquote (from dkw)
That applies exactly to Mormons as well. Joseph Smith emphasised that, using as a text John 17 (can't remember the specific verse, sorry), which says, "This is life eternal, to know thee, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent."

The Mormons have horns thing goes back to the 19th century. From what I understand, the same types of stories that have been referred to in relation to temple marriage, for example, also circulated in very early Christian times about the virgin birth etc, so there's a very long history of such things in a Christian context, but that sort of thing is found in all contexts.

I had a Baptist friend years ago who told me she grew up being told Mromons are weird. She really struggled with the belief i was going to hell. It was difficult for her because I was the face on the Mormon stereotype she'd been taught about. She never accepted that i was Cristian, I came to realise because I didn't fit her definition. Felt to me like the word Christian had been 'hijacked' and no one else was allowed to use it. To her Catholics weren't Christian, Jehovah's Witnesses definitely weren't and she was quite vocal about it. I found it very judgmental, and it bothered me that she and others like her are so quick to judge what's in a person's heart.

That's not what I have been taught repeatedly in my church that I should do. Mormons' view that God expects us to do all we can with the knowledge we've been given and not condemn others for having less knowledge makes us very tolerant and accepting of the beliefs and efforts of others while still placing responsibility on us for enlarging that knowledge.

In my experience many "fundamentalist Christians" take the exact opposite view. They try to destroy, working negatively. Thus the demonisation of Mormons stories.

One of my favourite quotes from Joseph Smith was along the lines of this: "Mormons are all going to hell? I can't think of a better group of people to go there with. Give us a month and we'll turn it into paradise."

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
In my experience many "fundamentalist Christians" take the exact opposite view.
In all fairness, it has been my experience that many Mormons (along with most other groups, including atheists and football fans) also take the exact opposite view, whether they're conscious of it or not. It's very easy to fall into smugness precisely when you think your group is, as a class, less likely to be guilty of it.
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
In a large group, you're going to get a variety of attitiudes. But again in my experience, attitudes similar to what I've said about many fundamentalist Christians are not common amongst Mormons. When they exist they tend to be regarded as unacceptable and spoken against. In fact, a few years ago I was assigned by the stake president, as part of my church calling, to give a talk specifically to correct that attitude. A member had expressed some attitudes in a talk she gave in church critical of other churches, and the stake president was concerned to correct that.

I won't deny that some few members have those attitudes, but they don't get much traction in discussions with other Mormons. As opposed to my Baptist friend, whose friends, after she told them I had invited her to my son's baptism, told her she shouldn't even be friends with a Mormon.

As far as smugness is concerned, individually sure, but again not anywhere near the norm, in my experience.

And, institutionally, the LDS church never criticises other religions. We don't run classes about what's wrong with other religions, our bookstores don't carry material of any kind attacking others. We don't try to block the construction of other churches, or picket them. We don't try to kick other denominations off of community church councils, we don't let our buildings be used for meetings denouncing any whose doctrines contradict ours. All of this, and more, fundamentalist Christian churches do to Mormons and others.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps opening a whole other can of worms:

I was raised Roman Catholic in a Roman Catholic extended family. Devote Catholic. As in church multiple times a week, confession at least every week, fish on Fridays, saying the rosary everyday, etc. I also went to Catholic schools which meant my friends, family, and most other people I knew and associated with were Catholic's. As such it wasn't until I was a teenager and started to associate more with "others" that I was introduced to certain ideas. I had taken classes on world religion, etc. but I was 15 or 16 years old that I came to understand/realize that what I thought Christianity meant it didn't mean.
At this age I discovered that other Christian groups didn't believe good works were necessary. It really shocked and appalled me. Accepting Jesus meant to me (at 15) knowing he was God and our Saviour and to try to be like him as much as possible (helping the poor, being understanding of other people, not being selfish etc). The idea that there were other groups that called themselves Christian and didn't feel like they had to help those in need, those who suffered, etc. was completely alien and did not compute. It was only after this I made sense of why not everybody liked Christians. Heh.

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Works can be a tricky subject for Protestants. They're not required for salvation, but we're supposed to want to do them. Heck, I thought trying to be like Christ was the definition of Christian until I read this thread.

You know how Catholics have a couple groups, some who show up every Sunday and some who just show up for Christmas and Easter? Protestants get a trickier version of that. Some folks try to follow God's teaching all the time while Sunday Christians just like to show up and look good. The worst part is that some folks really think they're exemplary people while being mean and petty because they're just pointing out where others could do better. I can never decide if they're oblivious and lacking any semblance of tact or if they're tearing others down to make themselves feel more holy and found a really great cover for it.

So please don't paint us all with the Sunday Christian brush just because we don't require works. And remember that even if we're bad Christians, we may be perfectly aware of it and trying to work on it. (I have issues with taking my problems out on other people when I'm in a bad mood. That's a toughie to break.)

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A member had expressed some attitudes in a talk she gave in church critical of other churches
The LDS Church claims to be restoring Christ's Church on Earth, which had allegedly been absent for 1500+ years because of the apostasy of all the other Churches.

Criticism of other churches is built into the very foundational story of your church.

quote:
The idea that there were other groups that called themselves Christian and didn't feel like they had to help those in need, those who suffered, etc. was completely alien and did not compute.
This is not a very fair summary of Protestant teaching on faith, not works. I don't know of any such denomination that does not teach - and act - to help those in need, etc.

Moreover, I don't see a huge difference in the average participation in such activities by the general membership of Protestant and Catholic churches.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

AvidReader- I long ago learned that people of all kinds are part of every religion. I hope I don't bring in a preconception of who a person is by what faith they profess.

Dagonee- I was saying how I saw things at age 15/16 [Smile]

To be clear I do -not- have any illusion that Catholic's are better people, etc.

(Point of note I married this summer a baptized Protestant who goes between calling himself agnostic and Buddhist)

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Criticism of other churches is built into the very foundational story of your church.
What do you mean by criticism?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some folks try to follow God's teaching all the time while Sunday Christians just like to show up and look good.
This is true of every religion, I think.

Except for those who go to church on Saturday.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
What do you mean by criticism?
That the other churches have all become (or were from their inception) apostate.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee,

While I agree that this is a critism the similar arguments could be made for any religion that for one reason or another believes itself to be the one and only church/path to heaven. It is just in the nature of the claim of exclusivity.

I think the argument was that the LDS Church does not go out of its way to convince their members that other churches are evil but focuses on teaching why the LDS beliefs are correct.

As for me, I could really care less what other churches are teaching about us. I don't think it is an effective use of their time and sometime alienates their own members but that is their perogative.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
While I agree that this is a critism the similar arguments could be made for any religion that for one reason or another believes itself to be the one and only church/path to heaven. It is just in the nature of the claim of exclusivity.
I think that's largely the point I was making.

quote:
I think the argument was that the LDS Church does not go out of its way to convince their members that other churches are evil but focuses on teaching why the LDS beliefs are correct.
Edit: never mind - I misread what you posted.
Scott R
Member # 567

Ah. Let's look at Cashew's whole post so that we can get context on how he used the word "criticism" and then contrast with your use of the word.

This to make the point that your criticism-- while certainly true-- does not make Cashew's statement untrue. Your statement seems to imply a level of hypocrisy in Mormon doctrine. While that hypocrisy certainly may exist, it does not logically exist in the argument as framed by Cashew.

quote:
in my experience, attitudes similar to what I've said about many fundamentalist Christians are not common amongst Mormons.
Here is the attitude he's talking about:

quote:
I had a Baptist friend years ago who told me she grew up being told Mromons are weird. She really struggled with the belief i was going to hell. It was difficult for her because I was the face on the Mormon stereotype she'd been taught about. She never accepted that i was Cristian, I came to realise because I didn't fit her definition. Felt to me like the word Christian had been 'hijacked' and no one else was allowed to use it. To her Catholics weren't Christian, Jehovah's Witnesses definitely weren't and she was quite vocal about it. I found it very judgmental, and it bothered me that she and others like her are so quick to judge what's in a person's heart.
It's clear from this statement that he's talking about a perception that Christian fundamentalists judge people by their religious affiliation.

He then iterates the Mormon stance on such criticism:

quote:

That's not what I have been taught repeatedly in my church that I should do. Mormons' view that God expects us to do all we can with the knowledge we've been given and not condemn others for having less knowledge makes us very tolerant and accepting of the beliefs and efforts of others while still placing responsibility on us for enlarging that knowledge.

Cashew then reiterates his previous point:

quote:

In my experience many "fundamentalist Christians" take the exact opposite view. They try to destroy, working negatively. Thus the demonisation of Mormons stories.

Further, he goes on to say what happens when Mormons fall into the trap of criticizing other churches:

quote:

When they exist they tend to be regarded as unacceptable and spoken against. In fact, a few years ago I was assigned by the stake president, as part of my church calling, to give a talk specifically to correct that attitude. A member had expressed some attitudes in a talk she gave in church critical of other churches, and the stake president was concerned to correct that.

We've discussed this before on this site. It's a matter of degree. No Mormon is justified in saying that Pope Linus was the devil's tool in founding the apostasy, even though we do maintain that an Apostasy occurred, and was in force until Joseph Smith's first vision.

Saying that Mormons-- as a church-- are guilty of the type of criticism that Cashew found in his friend is simply wrong. While I don't know if you were trying to make this point or not, Dagonee, I want other readers to realize that there is a difference between saying, "Mormons are going to hell because they eat babies," and "The Mormon doctrine of the Godhead is wrong."

It is the first attitude that was being criticized by Cashew; it is the second attitude that you seem to be criticizing. They are not related.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Your statement seems to imply a level of hypocrisy in Mormon doctrine.
I'm sorry it seemed that way. It was not my intent. I was discussing over-generalization, not insincerely held beliefs.

quote:
It is the first attitude that was being criticized by Cashew; it is the second attitude that you seem to be criticizing.
To me, it seemed as if Cashew was pointing to evidence that the LDS Church does not engage in one particular type of criticism to support the proposition that it does not engage in criticism of other faiths. In relating the story of his talk and the talk that motivated it, it was not clear to me that it was "Mormons are evil because they eat babies" type of criticism.

quote:
No Mormon is justified in saying that Pope Linus was the devil's tool in founding the apostasy, even though we do maintain that an Apostasy occurred, and was in force until Joseph Smith's first vision.
There seems to be a HUGE disconnect concerning the word "apostasy" between Mormons and others. Apostasy as I've always used the term and heard it used can only be applied to willful, knowing abandonment of Christ.
Scott R
Member # 567

When we talk about an individual apostatizing, then you are correct.

However, when Mormons talk about the Apostasy, it has elements of both of willful abandonment of true doctrine, and a greater weight of just-not-knowing what's right, and continuing uncorrected because what's right isn't available.

My Sunday School manual points up several reformers as tools of God in making the Restoration possible; we do not condemn those who lived during the Apostasy; our doctrine doesn't even condemn those who promulgated it unknowingly.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a sticky topic, since the “classes” that Cashew referenced are open to the public and not all LDS teachings are. I have been told that until a recent change in the temple play/movie it depicted protestant clergy as in the service of satan. If that is true, I consider it just as bad as the “what’s wrong with Mormons” classes. Possibly worse, since it would be a part of the most central teaching by church authority, whereas the Baptist anti-mormon lectures are done by individuals, and are not a part of centralized doctrine.

And I know this is not something that can be discussed. I just don’t think it’s fair to leave it unmentioned when accusations are being made in the other direction.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

dkw:

It's not something I've ever heard of. I know the actual ceremony was changed within my lifetime; I don't know how the protestant clergy would have been depicted in the ceremony.

"Recent" does not mean within the last 13 years, though. (Which is when I started attending the temple, so is the time period I can vouch for)

MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Dagonee's right, to some extent. There's been in the past twenty or thirty years an attempt to replace a discourse in which other churches are deficient with one in which Mormonism 'adds to their light.' This is the sort of language you usually hear in testimony meeting - about how happy coming to the truth has made us, and how important it is that we share that with others. It's well intentioned and sincere, but is easily read as condescention by those outside the group - which is, not coincidentally, I think, how Mormons tend to percieve Jehovah's Witnesses or evangelicals who mount missions to Mormons who have not yet been saved. This is a problem inherent in the very nature of proslytizing religion.

Further, notions of apostasy are deeply, deeply ingrained in Mormon identity and history - in the First Vision, Joseph Smith is told that other churches "were all wrong," and many drew near to God with their lips, though their hearts were far from him. This is canon. It's been increasingly downplayed in official discourse recently; I think Mormon leadership is increasingly interested in positive, rather than negative, relationships with other churches, but it's still there.

For the vast majority of Mormon history, Mormon leaders and writers of every stripe were very unapologetic about it. There's a strong, strong strain of thought that describes Catholicism as the 'great and abominable church' of 1 Nephi, for example - I can think of three or four sources for that off the top of my head, from BH Roberts to Bruce R. McConkie.

This is not _official_ doctrine, of course - and indeed, the only official declaration on the subject, a First Presidency declaration in 1977, is very conciliatory, but it's definitely there in Mormon culture, and you still get it. In my priests quorum growing up, a friend of mine once came in with a photograph of John Paul II captioned: "I never said it would be worth it: I only said it would be easy." I think he'd certainly be horrified if I brought that up to him now - we were both sixteen at the time. But some things are hard for a culture to shake.

Edit: The Protestant minister controlled by Satan was removed from the temple ceremony in 1990.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Jaiden:
(Point of note I married this summer a baptized Protestant who goes between calling himself agnostic and Buddhist)

Out of curiosity, is it that he publically calls himself agnostic or atheist, but is really Protestant in private? Or is the baptized Protestant part more of a "historical" note?

Also, if it helps his wavering, he can easily be both agnostic AND Buddhist [Wink]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
It's well intentioned and sincere, but is easily read as condescention by those outside the group
To clarify, since I did not say this above, I do not see Mormon teachings regarding apostasy as condescending in any way that is qualitatively different from, say, the Catholic Church's teachings regarding other churches and communities of faith. That is, if the Mormon teaching is condescending then so is the Catholic teaching, and for the same reason. I don't think either teaching actually is condescending, but I can see why others would think so.

(The obvious difference is which group I think is right in this regard, but that's not the issue here.)

MattB
Member # 1116

Oh, of course, Dag. I wasn't talking about you in particular there. And I fully agree with your second sentence.
Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to argue something that was being discussed at the top of this page, that ACEs (Attacking Christian Evangelicals--a small by loud group) will go after LDS only after more obviously different foes have been purged from the vicinity.

That just isn't so.

Humans have a tendancy to attack with more vengeance and less mercy those closest to us.

I am not saying that Souther Baptists and Northern Baptists will commit mutual Genocide. Neither is in a position of power over the other, so such attacks are not made. LDS is enough like what ACEs consider "True Christianity" and worse, claim to be "True Christianity" that for a variety of reasons, they are attacked far more vigorously than a Shi'ite Mosque.

1) LDS threatens ACE's by not only poaching on ACE's recruiting ground, but by attempting to convert ACE's friends, families, and congregational "brothers and sisters".

2) Unlike the Jewish looking Jews, the Indian/Asian looking Buddhists, and the Arab Islamic competitors, you can't tell a Mormon from a "regular Christian" just by looking at them (The Catholics are almost as bad. The Atheists all wear glasses, tweed jackets, and live in New York or Baltimore.)

3) You turned down "Real Christianity" as ACEs know it for some secret stuff, and you won't tell the ACEs what the secrets are.

No, historically speaking, the meanness and viscousness of an attack on Apostates is much much worse than that shown to people who have never been a member of your beliefs. Whether its Shi'ite/Sunni wars, or the petty politics directed at a "Born Again" biologist by the rest of his lab, Apostates get the brunt first and foremost.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Humans have a tendancy to attack with more vengeance and less mercy those closest to us.
I disagree -- even though I know some people consider this a truism. But history and human nature both seem to disprove this one.

We have a tendency to attack with more vengeance and less mercy those nearest to us; we won't go a great deal out of our way to exterminate somebody. But we generally only get around to exterminating those closest to us when we've eliminated the other weirdos.

The War of the Roses didn't happen until the threat of Islam had already faded; Baptists don't preferentially slander Mormons in areas where Jews are a powerful voting bloc. And since you mentioned Sunni/Shia disputes, it's worth noting that Christians, Jews, and Baha'is tend to get it even worse in those countries (as do atheists) -- this despite specific doctrinal commandments in Islam to leave those groups largely alone and go after the apostates.

That said, I agree that "ACEs" in this country will generally regard Mormons as a more insidious enemy; on the other hand, they will gladly and happily exploit those Mormons for their votes (and vice versa) on social issues, and will with great joy claim to share the same God until everyone who does not make that claim is silenced.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Likewise, prominent people outside the Christian church are deciding what Christians do and don't believe in.
But you seem to have missed the point. Mormon's don't think they are outside the Christian church. In fact, its not even clear what you mean by "the Christian Church". There are hundreds perhaps thousands of demoninations that consider themselves to be Christian churches. These churches have no common leadership and no commonly accepted body of doctrines. We could start classifying these churches based on common doctrines and then declare that only churches that teach X and Y are Christian, but since there is no commoly recognized leadership body -- how would we decide who has the right to decide what set of teachings are essential to be Christian?

That is the bottom line. Mormons don't recognize the authority of evangelicals for defining who is and is not Christian. In the end, we believe that only Jesus himself has the right to make such judgements. If the Baptist assembly wants to claim that we aren't baptists, fine. If the Methodists want to claim we aren't methodists, fine they have that right. If Catholics want to claim we aren't Catholic, I see no problem. If Coptic Church want to claim we aren't Copts, they have the right. But since all those churches and hundreds of others including Mormons claim the name Chrisitan, how can any of them claim the authority to say which church, other than their own, is or is not Christian?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But since all those churches and hundreds of others including Mormons claim the name Chrisitan, how can any of them claim the authority to say which church, other than their own, is or is not Christian?
I understand the point you are making but really they're equally at liberty to define what is or is not Christianity and anyone else is equally at liberty to accept or reject this definition.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

quote:
Mormons don't recognize the authority of evangelicals for defining who is and is not Christian.
Perhaps this is the source of the confusion - for many of these evangelicals, the church is as the Reformers put it, 'invisible' - made up of the saved across denominational lines. Thus, a 'Christian' is someone who has undergone the evangelical conversion experience, accepted Christ, and thusly gained salvation.

Mormons deny that salvation works this way, and theologically speaking, believe in a different Christ. Thus, not Christian. A lot of them deny the appellation to Catholicism as well, for similar reasons.

Jaiden
Member # 2099

Mucus: Sorry for only responding now- I've been very busy. My husband was baptized as a child and is nonpracticing. He does realize he can be both Buddhist and agnostic [Smile]
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mormons don't recognize the authority of evangelicals for defining who is and is not Christian. In the end, we believe that only Jesus himself has the right to make such judgements.
Here, here! I'm non-denominational, so when my Dad explained what he was going through to join the Presbyterian Church I was floored. It sounded more like applying for a loan at the bank than being cool with God. I still don't understand why he'd bother, but he seems to like them.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
When sematics come to blows, the only appeal is to Websters (for us Americans that is):

Christian: (noun) one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
As one whom the media would classify as an Evangelical, though not partisan toward a certain denomination of Christianity (I attend a Christian-Missionary Alliance church), I am disgusted when I hear about inter-Christian quarreling. The Bible specifically warns against separate churches bickering about their differences and condemning each other. The Apostle Paul details this problem perfectly and heartily advises against such division.

So really: Catholics, Protestants, Mormons... can't we all just get along? We all believe that Jesus is the Messiah, and the Bible says that's what it takes. The path to heaven may be potentially treacherous and dangerous, but it is wide and allows for everyone to find it. It doesn't matter whether you take the path on stilts or in a wheelchair or in sandals or on a bus... just so long you follow the path.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The path to heaven may be potentially treacherous and dangerous, but it is wide and allows for everyone to find it.
Oops on that one. Matthew 7:13-14. "(13) Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
[14] Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."
A wheelchair or crutch might work. But, I'm not convinced that a 30 year-old school bus will.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
This was a favorite quote when I was young. I could've sworn it was Dante. *shrug*
quote:
Facilis descensus Averni
“It is easy to go down into Hell; night and day, the gates of dark Death stand wide; but to climb back again, to retrace one's steps to the upper air - there's the rub, the task”

Virgil, Aeneid
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.