FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Baby things, carseats, and Quid - help?

Author Topic: Baby things, carseats, and Quid - help?
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you may know, Abhi and I are headed to India this December for our Hindu marriage & to visit family. Abhi's sister will be nine months pregnant at the time, and we're planning on bringing baby things as gifts for her. However, we're at a bit of a loss as to what would be good things to bring.

1. Abhi's parents have suggested a carseat, as the ones in India are not as good nor as cheap as in the US, so we're definitely going to bring one. Question - what type to buy? The family has two sedans, and seats that fit in American cars should fit fine in their cars. In fact, I think they have Fords...

2. What are other things that are good gifts? We're trying to figure out what type of things might be available here that aren't available there. So complicated electronics, or new items on the market might be better than old standards. For instance, baby monitors cost $150 (yes, dollars) in India, and are very rare. While the cost of the items doesn't matter much (first baby of this generation, we're all very excited!), packing size does. So smaller things that won't take up too much luggage space would be best.

3. Quid, I put your name into the subject line to get you to check out the thread. While Sri Lanka isn't India, I imagine there's some homogeneity in the two markets. Can you think of anything baby-wise that's missing or difficult to find in Sri Lanka that you could get in Canada or the US?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, gee, I have no idea. Let me ask around a bit.

ETA: Okay, I asked Fahim, and he confirmed what I suspected. Since your sister in law is from the region, she's very likely used to what's available, so she probably won't care. People here don't seek after the latest and greatest like some people tend to in the west. Added to that that most things here are available - disposable diapers, soothers, toys, whatever. Maybe not the latest and greatest or the big brand names, but I don't know anyone who cares about that here. So, I don't know.

I would suggest that you ask her if there's anything in particular that she wants. I, for example, almost always have a running list of "things I'd love to get if someone were coming for a visit from Canada". Semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate lives on that list because that isn't available here at all that I've ever been able to find, but milk chocolate is. If that makes sense?

I'm sorry it's not the answer you're looking for. Good luck. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

It's less about the latest and greatest, and more about things that make life easier. For instance, after babysitting my step-niece and step-nephew while they were infants, I know that those electronic baby swings are amazing at getting a fussy, colicky baby to sleep. Since both my sister-in-law and her husband work at high-pressure jobs in fast-paced Bombay (she's India's first female chief underwriter), I imagine anything that helps out some would be appreciated.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a convertible carseat. If you're only bringing one, it's best to get a nice convertible that can go from 5 to 35 lbs. rear-facing, 20 to at least 40 front-facing, then be used as a belt-positioning booster. That will probably last as long as the child needs to be in a car seat for safety.

I suggest the Cosco Alpha Omega Elite, we've had it since Emma was switched from an infant carrier and it was wonderful. It comes with a head insert for newborns, a toddler pillow, arm rests... You can also adjust it very easily while it is already installed, which is nice. If you don't want something that big (it does take up a lot of room rear-facing but we found it to be worth it) I have other suggestions.

If you can bring them two, you might also bring an infant carrier. I can make suggestions on those too if you want.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(May I also suggest this thread for recommendations on stuff Hatrackers have found to be useful for babies?)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Thanks kq! I remember seeing a baby rec thread awhile back, but didn't pay much attention at the time. Appears to have been bumped recently. Wonder how I missed that...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Jhai, what I'm saying - and probably very badly - is that people here tend to make do with what they have, so they don't notice the lack as much as someone from the west would. They're used to what's available.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
I second kq's recommendation for a convertible rear-facing/front-facing carseat. Something to ask your airline about is whether they will allow you to check it without it counting as an extra piece of baggage. The last few times we've flown they've done this for us for free, and they even wrapped it up in plastic so the straps wouldn't fly around or get lost. You may have to take it out of its box for them to do this, however.

Additionally, a booster seat that straps onto a regular kitchen chair is far more economical than a highchair, and could probably be brought with you in your suitcase.

Otherwise...if I were in India, I'd find out what Indian women have been doing for centuries to care for their babies. They've probably got a pretty good system going.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Its been several years since I visited India, but one thing that I found usefull (More so on my visits to Russia where we brought home a child) was "Handy-wipes". These alcohol coated disposable cleaning cloths were not to be found during my India stay, but a box of them were great for everything from washing hands before eating to sterilizing/cleaning utensils.

I know, its sounds very A-Retentive, but they were very useful, even cooled me off during the hot July-in-Dehli heat.

And a large box of them from Wal-Mart is not expensive. Put them in a Tupperware container so the liquid doesn't evaporate, and they last for years. (container left open, they last for a lot less time).

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya probably know this, but since it's easy to forget things while preparing for travel...

1) Other than medicines, toothbrushes to use while in flight, and the clothing on your back (possibly carry-on a spare set in case your flight gets delayed), ya really don't need to take anything for personal use. Use that space for gifts and "special ordered" items instead.
2. You can buy clothing, toiletries, etc while there, with the added advantage that your new clothing will make you look less like a tourist waiting to be fleeced. Even "Western wear" looks different depending on the country in which they are purchased.
3) Plus you'll have plenty of room in your luggage for bringing back clothing, memorabilia, gifts received, etc on your return flight.
4) If you buy clothing for yourselves while in India, wear them and launder them in India. Otherwise you can be hit with import taxes upon returning to your home country.

4) Given how import taxes usually work, cameras are probably FAR more expensive in India than in the US. Consider leaving your camera behind as a gift. Just download your pictures and burn a few copies onto disc before giving the camera away.
And yes, (slightly-but-noticeably) used is better than new...unless you want to pay the import tax, or get busted for smuggling.

5) India's electricity standard is 240volts at 50hertz. The US uses 120volts at 60hertz as standard. If you intend to give gifts bought in the US that need to be plugged in (especially including battery chargers), make sure beforehand that electricity converters are available at a reasonable price in India. If the price is too high, buy a converter for each electricity-using gift and pack them in your luggage before the flight.

[ November 19, 2007, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in India visiting friends I left my camera, and the cam-corder, and all the accesories, and a nice leather bag, as gifts--for the robbers on the train.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If you decide to take a booster seat, consider the inflatable travel one I mentioned on the first post of the thread I linked. We've found it to be one of the most useful baby things we own. It's sturdy, it's held up to two kids now and that means several years. It's versatile. It's portable. And I'm sure nothing like it is remotely available in India.

We took it to Boon's house for Her Royal Heinzness to use while we visited and Boon liked it so incredibly much that we left it for her and bought a new one when we got home.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Handy wipes are now easily available in Colombo, Sri Lanka's big city - they started appearing a couple of years ago or so. They're in every grocery store. I imagine it's probably the same in India, but check on it first.

Electricity converters, in our experience, overheat very fast and blow out. I wouldn't recommend any electrical device that would rely on the use of a converter for a long period of time.

And yes, electronic devices in Sri Lanka are much more expensive than in the west. Importers pay steep import taxes and bribes to get them into the country, plus the cost of shipping is added. I don't know that it's the same in India, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I definitely agree with buying the majority of your clothes in India if you'll have the time. They'll be relatively cheap. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I just wanted to let you know that I just saw a Big Lots ad for the car seat I recommended for $80. Now, these things tend to be regional, but sometimes they're not, so I recommend checking your local Big Lots ad (I think you can do that online at their site) because $80 is the lowest I've ever, ever seen that car seat at.
Jhai
Member # 5633

Abhi and I checked out car seats, and figured out that, with the decreasing dollar, car seats are now about the same price in India as they are in the US. $80 might be cheaper, though, so we'll check it out. We do, however, appreciate the advice given in this thread! We decided to go with the swing recommended several times in the thread linked, along with various other toys.

As far as general travel, we both plan on bringing minimal clothes to India, and purchasing what we need there. I'm looking forward to getting my own Indian clothes (rather than stealing Abhi's), and will be wearing a sari during the two days of the wedding. Abhi says handy wipes are now available in India as well, by the way.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I should mention that the regular price on that carseat is $140-$160. I got Emma's on sale for $125. $80 is an incredible price.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Jhai, have you worn a sari before? [Big Grin] It can be a... fun experience. I highly recommend using safety pins, whether whoever's dressing you "allows" it or not. [Big Grin] Have you already had the blouse and underskirt made, or are you a standard enough size that you can get ready-mades, if they exist there? Ready-made blouse and underskirts here are not common - everyone has theirs handmade.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.