FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Scrabble

Author Topic: Scrabble
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to be temporarily Google-stupid (maybe it's the rum?) but I can't find a comprehensive list of what qualifies as a legal word in Scrabble. The last time I played, I believed I used Norse gods, math terms and African countries and I don't know if I was duping my competitors with my "those are totally legal, take my word for it" claims or not.

Anyone willing to help me out? Last time I was here there was a Google master named Kayla (?) but she doesn't seem to be around...

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Proper nouns aren't allowed. So yes, you were cheating.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

Thanks. I will keep that in mind next time. I just couldn't make the Z work without the word "Zaire."

I had something like three proper nouns the last time I played. I'm a bad person.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hasbro.com/games/adult-games/scrabble/home.cfm?page=Dictionary/dict

online scrabble dictionary

the short answer is no capital letters.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Some Scrabble hilarity on the DS (language warning for kids?)

link

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Hasbro's Web site is based on the Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary (OSPD4, to be precise). Tournament play allows a slightly larger number of words, which can be found in the Official World List (OWL--OWL1 corresponds to OSPD3, and OWL2 corresponds to OSPD4).

The main differences are 1) that OSPD is explicitly "family-friendly" and thus has curse words, racial slurs, and other derogatory terms removed (though its notion of what is offensive is sometimes a little random) and 2) that the OWL contains words up to 9 letters long (plus extensions) while the OSPD for the most part only contains words up to 8 letters long (plus extensions). Oh, and also that the OSPD has definitions, while the OWL is exactly what it claims to be: a list of words, no additional information provided.

There also exists a Long Word List (LWL) that contains words 10-15 letters long (plus extensions).

I've never used the LWL, but my Scrabble group makes fairly frequent recourse to the OWL (twice last game, I recall). I've found copies of OWL1 easily by Googling, and there are probably copies of OWL2 out there if you look a little harder. Since I'm fairly certain they're all copyright violations, I'm refraining from linking.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EmpSquared:
Thanks. I will keep that in mind next time. I just couldn't make the Z work without the word "Zaire."

I had something like three proper nouns the last time I played. I'm a bad person.

Raze.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
"Zaire" is an acceptable word because it's the name of a currency, like "dollar".
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

IIRC, "Z" had to be the first letter.

On a side note, I've taken to playing scrabble online against a computer. I've learned a lot about two letter words.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned a lot of two letter words from doing crossword puzzles.

AA = pillow lava
AI = two-toed sloth

(or maybe it's the other way around)

At one point I memorized all the two letter words in the scrabble dictionary but then my family said that was cheating. I didn't get that. How is it cheating to remember stuff?

What are your favorite two letter words?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

qi
xi
xu
ox
ax
ka
ki
jo
za

Very nice for getting rid of difficult-to-play letters.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Definitely! Do you know what they mean? I guess I can look them up on dictionary.com.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
zee was always my favorite "begins with z" word.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
qi = universal energy force ("chi")
xi = Greek letter
xu = Vietnamese currency
ox = uh, large mammal that pulls plows
ax = thing you chop things with
ka = the soul, in Eygptian theology
ki = universal energy force ("chi")
jo = sweetheart, from the Scottish
za = pizza

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Ah, ambyr, I didn't realize you could use non-English words. I get ox and ax, though. Of course in crossword puzzles any- and everything is legal, and they'll cheat like crazy making up the clues. But in scrabble I was thinking the rules were a lot tighter about what constitutes an English word. Those are very handy to know.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Those words were all taken from English dictionaries when the official Scrabble dictionary was made. Of course, it's worth pointing out that some of those dictionaries were of questionable authority and have gone out of print since then.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

My ka delighteth in za with my jo.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.