FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Deleting rows from a gridview/datatable? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Deleting rows from a gridview/datatable?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, do exactly what I describe. Create ten items. Check #2, #7, #9, and #10. Click your "Delete" button.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I did do what Tom showed, works just fine on my end.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd expect that when you went to delete #7, you'd actually delete #8 (because the index is off by one at that point because of the previous delete of #2).

Note that deleting a single row will work. Also, because of your if/else, deleting x number of rows at the end will also work. What I don't expect to work is deleting a row in the middle, then another row in the middle.

Edit: No, deleting at the end won't work either. It'll start deleting rows from the beginning once the index gets high enough. Deleting ALL rows will work though, since you'll always delete the quantity of rows that you are asking to delete, just not the rights ones, but if you delete all rows than it doesn't matter that you aren't deleting the correct ones since your if/else fall back will cause the first or last row to always be deleted once the index goes wonky.

Again, think about it. You already know the index is getting out of sync with the rows, but the only time you deal with that is when the index exceeds the total number of rows. How do you make sure that the index matches the middle rows once you've started deleting some? Why would it be off by one (or more) only when it's on the last row?

[ November 26, 2007, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
THere's a difference between didn't throw an error and works fine. If you did what Tom described, you'd end up with

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Yeah, oops, I took that out, then I looked back and thought "Why did I take 3 out? 1 and 2 would be deleted by the 9 and 10 calls." Silly me.

edit: Which is to say, the list should look like

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

Oops. I was having doubts and deleted my post. Sorry about that.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

[Embarrassed] I just had to grandstand, I could have just left it alone but nooooooo my 6th sense just had to force me to double check and no of course I just had to stick to my guns I just couldn't stay quiet, fix my code, I just had to make an ass of myself before realizing I was slightly a smigden mistaken.

code:
        Dim count = 0
For Each GridViewRow1 As GridViewRow In GridView1.Rows
'---Look at each checkbox here
CheckBox1 = CType(GridViewRow1.FindControl("chkSelector"), CheckBox)

If CheckBox1.Checked Then
'chkBox = True

'---Get the database id
KeyId = GridViewRow1.RowIndex
'KeyId = CType(GridView1.DataKeys.Item(GridViewRow1.RowIndex).Value, Int32)
'---Use the KeytId to delete from the database.

If KeyId = gt.Rows.Count Then
gt.Rows(KeyId - 1).Delete()
ElseIf KeyId > gt.Rows.Count Then
gt.Rows(KeyId - KeyId).Delete()
Else
If count = 0 Then
gt.Rows(KeyId).Delete()
Else
gt.Rows(KeyId - count).Delete()
End If
End If
count = count + 1
End If

Next
GridView1.DataSource = gt
GridView1.DataBind()

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

That's still not going to work. And like 4 people have told you exactly how to address this problem.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*blink* okay I am 101% positive that this does the job, as the rows merge it now anticipates it so that it will delete the proper rows regardless of how far they've moved sicne each time I delete something I am 1 row off, thus if I dlete 3 things I am 3 rows off, hence, I use a counter to keep track of how many times I dleted something and adjust what row to dlete accordingly.

I have taken 9 rows, dleted 2, 5, and 7 and I got the correct results only the rows I wanted to dlete were dleted, none were shunted.

Maybe the way those "four" people said would work, but I know that my way also works, code is code there is more then one way to crack a duck.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

And yet, your code does not work.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

What are you trying to compile it? It works just fine.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Huge difference between compiling and working. Using your code will result in rows being deleted that shouldn't be.

Also (and man do you not deserve this and you won't appreciate it), your solution even assuming you tweak it so that it actually works is a very poor one for a common issue. You should learn the proper way to do this that people have been hitting you over the head with because, if you show someone a code sample with this sort of coding in it, you'll mark yourself as a very bad programmer.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*blink* okay I am 101% positive that this does the job, as the rows merge it now anticipates it so that it will delete the proper rows regardless of how far they've moved sicne each time I delete something I am 1 row off, thus if I dlete 3 things I am 3 rows off, hence, I use a counter to keep track of how many times I dleted something and adjust what row to dlete accordingly.
If I understand you, you intended to add a bit of code (probably after you realized from my example that we were right) that increments every time you delete a row, and then subtracts that from the gridviewrow index to retrieve the new index of the datarow.

(I note, by the way, that the code you've listed above does not actually do this. Your "if" statements here actually prevent this from working the way you would expect. You would be far better off just declaring x to be 0 when you enter the foreach, then incrementing x every pass and deleting x from every index.)

That should work, provided none of your deletes fail for some reason; I'd probably throw up a try...catch around the whole thing just to be sure. That said, it seems remarkably clumsy compared to just -- as everyone else here has suggested -- iterating through the collection from right to left.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Tom,
3 item list (1, 2, 3), delete 1, delete 3 -> 3

TomDavidson
Member # 124

If you did it right, on a ten-item list, it'd work like this:

Delete 1. Correct.
Delete 3-1 (2). Correct.
Delete 8-2 (6). Correct.
Delete 10-3 (7). Correct.

So while Blayne's code doesn't work, and indeed this method is clumsier than it needs to be, you could conceptually subtract one from the index value per item deleted.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually either:

1) Go through the list backwards

...or...

2) Rather than using a "for" or "foreach" loop, use a temporary variable as the position counter, only increment the counter when I'm *not* deleting, and only loop until the counter is greater than the size of the array (no, I'm not going to write code for this now...).

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

k, i revised the code once again for while it worked for 7, it didnt quite work for 10 as by this point it would go into the KeyId-KeyId if case and screw up my results BUT by expressing that if there's avalid rows past the current row and KeyId > gt.rows.count.

Thus now it goes where its supposed to go and now works even with Toms example.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
My preference was "DELETE FROM table_name WHERE primary_key IN (1,3,8,10)".

(Yes, I know that the rowindex isn't the primary key - I would account for that.)

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

Yes, it's possible to keep track of how many deletes you've done and update a delta variable as you go along, but that's hard to read, hard to maintain, and unnecessarily complex.

Even if you do decide to go that route, all of those 'if's and 'else's are not necessary. The only 'if' you need is the "If CheckBox1.Checked Then" line. Anything more than that is an indication that you don't understand what exactly is happening.

For instance, why would you need to conditionally subtract count only when it's non-zero? If count is zero, subtracting it has no effect so there is no need for this:
code:
If count = 0 Then
gt.Rows(KeyId).Delete()
Else
End If

and you can just have this:
code:

Similarly, if you are properly incrementing the count variable, there is no need for the checks to see if index exceeds count.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Don't like one SQL statement myself either becuase I need to write more code to maintain the collection array and eventually convert that in to the actual SQL statement.

Pseudo-code... in C#, 'cause I don't have to think about the syntax as much.

code:
int iPos = 0
while ( iPos < gt.Rows.Count )
{
if ( delete row iPos? )
delete row from DB using the unique key
delete "gt.Rows[iPos]" from collection
else
iPos++
}

This accounts for "gt.Rows" shrinking during the delete.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

The sad thing about all of Blayne's "fixes" is that, as he fumbles closer and closer to discovering the things we're already telling him, I'm being more and more convinced that at no time has he understood anything we've said to him, or even why his own workarounds are "working."
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Actually, it just occurred to me why Blayne might be resisting our suggestions to iterate backwards; he might not know how, since you can't use foreach backwards. He'll need a for loop for that, and his teacher may not have shown him that.
MattP
Member # 10495

That could be, but I'd be surprised if they were having them muck with databases before learning for loops. But who knows these days.

[ November 26, 2007, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I only know how to loop backwards in C.

For (e=0;e<10;e--)

MattP
Member # 10495

It's simple in VB

For e = 9 to 0
Next

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Actually, it just occurred to me why Blayne might be resisting our suggestions to iterate backwards; he might not know how, since you can't use foreach backwards. He'll need a for loop for that, and his teacher may not have shown him that.

If his teacher has been doing data binding, collection management and user interfaces before doing a "for loop", then I refuse to believe this is a "programming" course.

*EDIT*

MattP, don't you need a "Step -1"? I admit I haven't done that myself in VB for quite some time...

MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
MattP, don't you need a "Step -1"? I admit I haven't done that myself in VB for quite some time...
Not with VB.NET, as far as I know.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I only know how to loop backwards in C.

For (e=0;e<10;e--)

Er... check that again. That code right there is going to loop for a lot longer than you probably want it to.

Edit: or, depending on the data type, I suppose it might be shorter than you intend. At any rate, it's likely not doing what you want it to do.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Actually, I didn't even notice that: your "for" loop in C *is* incorrect...
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
*still don't get why you are making the row index do double duty as a unique key for the item. Just (in this case, manually create one or) have the db autogenerate a key (in the non-trivial implementation you are working up to). Then when populating the datagrid, set the datagrid row's key to an actual unique key (and not a changing index value). Then just delete the row whose unique key is equal to the one that's selected. This is standard, whether in datagrids, listboxes, dropdowns, etc. That way, the ORDER you delete is completely irrelevant, and you can be sure that the only thing being deleted is an item that has a key that is truly unique and equal to the one you want. (Similar to dagonee's SQL statement)
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Don't like one SQL statement myself either becuase I need to write more code to maintain the collection array and eventually convert that in to the actual SQL statement.
The code to make the SQL statement was a single function call for me.

The big difference was that I was doing stateless* ASP, so I didn't have to coordinate with a UI control at all - I didn't even have that option.

*It wasn't entirely stateless - I had a user context - but we couldn't save anything like a datacontrol to the session.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I know my C was incorrect but I'm too lazy to hit the edit button, ironically the post to explain why i didn't edit it took more calories.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

code:
        Dim count = 0

'chkBox = True

'Dim ProductID As String = GridView1.DataKeys(GridViewRow1.RowIndex)("pr_code").ToString
'---Get the database id
KeyId = GridViewRow1.RowIndex
'KeyId = CType(GridView1.DataKeys.Item(GridViewRow1.RowIndex).Value, Int32)
'---Use the KeytId to delete from the database.

If KeyId = gt.Rows.Count Then
gt.Rows(KeyId - 1).Delete()
ElseIf KeyId > gt.Rows.Count And (gt.Rows(KeyId - count)(1) = Nothing) Then
Else
If count = 0 Then
gt.Rows(KeyId).Delete()
Else
End If
End If
count = count + 1
End If

Next
GridView1.DataBind()

Revised, this should now work in all cases.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
This line simply says gt.Rows(0).Delete(). Is that really what you mean here?
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You still have silly things like gt.Rows(KeyId - KeyId).Delete() in your code.

Blayne, what's 1-1? What's 5-5? What's x-x? What's KeyId - KeyId?

And most of your code is still extraneous (and based on incorrect logic). I think its wrong, too.

I think the only reason it might work is because you've added lots of qualifiers to unnecessary statements to make them not trigger except when they're equivalent of what you really need, which is silly.

Btw, what does gt.Rows(KeyId - count)(1) get you?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Bleh, Dagonee beat me to it.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

Um, wow. Remember what I said before, Blayne - even with your current scheme all of those if/else constructs are completely unnecessary. It's like adding 2 + 2 like this:

2 + 4 - (3 * 27) + (2 * 51) - 5^2 + 2

You need an If to check if the checkbox is checked. That's it. Everything else is baling wire and duct tape. This whole thing should be 10-15 lines of code, not 30.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

*sigh* If we must....

code:

Dim count = 0
gt.Rows(GridViewRow1.RowIndex - count).Delete
count = count + 1
End If
Next
GridView1.DataBind()

[ November 27, 2007, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

MattP
Member # 10495

Fish giver! [Wink]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Ah, now i see what you mean. [Eek!]
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, a few days ago I was idly paging through Joel's archives, and I came across this article,which contains among much wisdom the words

quote:
I know a few superstar programmers who could crank out a Fortran compiler by themselves in one week, and lots of programmers who couldn’t write the code to print the startup banner if they had six months.
For some reason I thought he was exaggerating. I can't imagine what I was thinking. Although cheer up, Blayne, google "Paula Bean" and realise that you haven't yet hit rock bottom.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

code:
package test;

public class paulaBean {

private String paula = "Brillant";

public String getPaula() {
return paula;
}
}

Smrthel.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
You know, a few days ago I was idly paging through Joel's archives, and I came across this article,which contains among much wisdom the words

quote:
I know a few superstar programmers who could crank out a Fortran compiler by themselves in one week, and lots of programmers who couldn’t write the code to print the startup banner if they had six months.
For some reason I thought he was exaggerating. I can't imagine what I was thinking. Although cheer up, Blayne, google "Paula Bean" and realise that you haven't yet hit rock bottom.
Thank you for that article. I recently was the applicant and went through a similar interview process at a major medical company in the area, and although it was awkward at the time I now understand the reasoning behind it. And I agree with all of it.

And I've met my share of Paulas...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.