FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Car engine problems

Author Topic: Car engine problems
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
My '04 Ford Focus runs funny when it's humid. This is consistent enough to be somewhat predictable. Specifically, it tends to run rough, jerky, and loses a lot of power when going uphill or suddenly accelerating from low speed to high speed. What's the issue? Is this fixable? Anybody got any thoughts?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Once upon a time, the first thing ya'd check for woulda been a cracked distributor cap. Assuming the exhaust wasn't smoking.
Nowadays [Dont Know] there's too much electronics feeding back into each other.

From your mention of the car's age and of a problem exacerbated by humidity, I'd suspect DPFE*Sensor failure.

While the workaround might be useful in diagnosing your problem, DO NOT operate your car in that condition. You WILL pay for such abuse, heavily.

If you aren't an amateur mechanic with a strong car hobbyist background, don't even try the workaround. Too easy to really gum up the works, and end up having to shell out a LOT of bucks to repair what wasn't broken before ya decided to tinker.
Cheaper to just replace the DPFE sensor than to mess up an experiment. From the looks of things, you'll only be replacing something that'll need to be fixed sooner or later anyways.

* DPFE stands for DifferentialPressureFeedback for EGR

[ November 24, 2007, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I don't see how DPFE sensor failure accounts for the fact that humidity makes the problem much worse.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought was bad plug wires. If I remember right, it's fairly easy to test for, too. Get a spray bottle of water, start the car, and pop the hood. Spray a couple of times over the plug wires, and if they arc, you know they're bad and need to be replaced.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a way to get one HELLUVA shock, possibly heart-stopping. Have you tried it?

DPFE and moisture. High humidity condenses into moisture as the air containing it cools: eg hot showers and bathroom mirrors.

[ November 24, 2007, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Here's what happened. On Tuesday, I left the lights/radio on most of the day by accident, and it needed a jump. When we finally got it jumped off, we could see blue sparks jumping out all around the wire leading into the engine block, I guess where the spark plug is. When I saw those blue sparks, I know Jon Boy had been right.

It cost me $150 (fuel filter and air filter needed replacing too), but it runs better now. [Smile]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you figured it out and that it wasn't too expensive of a fix.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.