FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Its done.

Author Topic: Its done.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My dogs were a bit cramped in the fenced in area in our back yard. Doing some thinking I came up with an idea for a fence that was cheap, easy, and quick.

Six years later, and after a load of expense, hard work, and more than one wounded finger, its done.

The dogs for which this fence was being built have moved on. One died, another ran off.

Our new dogs are a bit of a problem. One climbs/jumps this new fence with grace and ease. The other has found weak spots where I concreted, and routinely digs her way out.

So basically, it was a bust. My hopes are that last longer than it took to put up.

I could write the long tragic history of its construction, something suitable for "Modern Marvels" on "The History Channel" (or Myth-Busters on Discovery), but I don't have the time.

Just say it cost three pallets of Garden Ties (where I thought I had a source of free ones from my family), two new drills, countless drill bits, one Black & Decker workbench, one saw blade, and a small fortune in liniment, band-aids, Tylenol, and ruined shirts.

So if this big project was such a non-success, why do I feel so proud that its done?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Because you have not yet come to accept the reality of your situation of absolute failure? [Big Grin]

Perhaps your efforts would have been best spent working on training your dogs?

But in all seriousness were I you, I'd probably be feeling the same way, there is something awesome about constructing and erecting any structure.

For men any sort of erection is truly something to be happy about.

And with that I am going to clean my mind with a bar of soup. Kudos to you Dan, will you build me a fence should I ever need one down the road?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It makes for good neighbors, though, if you believe Robert Frost.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Train the dogs? If the fence posts didn't fit right I had a nice large mallet to make them fit.

They really frown if you try and use that technique to train puppy dogs.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Any kind of erection
[Laugh] Bar of soup!
[ROFL]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom has told me a story of when I was about 3 years old and my dad built a fence to keep me in the yard. The neighbor asked what he was doing, dad explained,and the neighbor said it would never keep me in. Dad insisted it would, and I promptly climbed over it.

Apparently, I'm related to your dogs. [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.