FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Someone please fix our traffic light.

Author Topic: Someone please fix our traffic light.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that thread I started about how when the traffic lights go out, people don't just go smashing cars into each other at intersections a la Die Hard with a Vengeance?

The light outside my building has been stuck on yellow since I got back from the cruise yesterday. For some reason, when the lights are yellow, people DO feel the need to speed through the intersection...despite the fact that the light has stayed yellow far, far longer than it should have. Which is obvious to anyone paying any attention to what is actually going on. The result is a bunch of near-misses outside my house coupled with horn honking wars of doom. [Mad]

Yellow does not mean speed up, people!

/rant.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you doing inside at the computer? Get out there and direct traffic, girl! You can do it!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, maybe it's a psychological experiment. Also, I think that was Live free or Die Hard. The one where the computer geeks sabotage the traffic system? Or did that happen in more than one? I only saw the last one. Well, the fourth one. You never really know with Die Hard. I guess that's the point. But yes, that is a nightmare.

P.S. What does the opposing light say?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Wow, maybe it's a psychological experiment. Also, I think that was Live free or Die Hard. The one where the computer geeks sabotage the traffic system? Or did that happen in more than one? I only saw the last one. Well, the fourth one. You never really know with Die Hard. I guess that's the point. But yes, that is a nightmare.

Yes, that Die Hard is the one that I meant. My brain is not working properly today. [Razz]

But I think I will go out of my way too avoid that intersection altogether. I had to go through it yesterday and was terrified that trucks would not slow down, which meant I sat at the light forever just in case someone decided that the prolonged yellow light meant "barrel through as fast as you can."

It reminded me of that Simpsons episode where MENSA takes over the town and changes all the traffic lights to only include yellow and red so that cars will move faster.

Edit: I think one of the lights stays yellow, and the other one is either yellow or off altogether. The thing is, in the past when BOTH lights have been off altogether, people have automatically treated the intersection like a four way stop...which is why I'm surprised that everyone seems to be freaking out now.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You went on a cruise?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the traffic light mess up by hackers also happened in the Italian Job (the recent one). Not sure...
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The recent one? Did the Brazilian Job already come out? Or do you mean the remake vs. the original?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.