FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This Sounds Like Excellent News - Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells

Author Topic: This Sounds Like Excellent News - Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Labs Create a Stand-In Without Eggs, Embryos

quote:
Researchers in Wisconsin and Japan said yesterday that they have turned ordinary human skin cells into what are effectively embryonic stem cells without using embryos or women's eggs -- the previously essential ingredients that have embroiled the medically promising field in a nearly decade-long political and ethical debate.

The ability to turn adult cells into embryo-like ones capable of morphing into virtually every kind of cell or tissue, described in two scientific journal articles yesterday, has been a major goal of researchers for years. In theory, it would allow people to grow personalized replacement parts for their bodies from their skin cells and give researchers a powerful means of understanding and treating diseases.

I'm left with my usual skepticism about scientific progress reported in the press, although this article seems much more thorough than most.

If the promise suggested in the article comes to fruition, it seems like a serious ethical controversy will be made moot by science (although of course the underlying ethical controversy will still remain).

Does anyone have any insight into whether the optimism in this article is warranted?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=050825;p=0&r=nfx#000000
Phanto explained it well there. [Smile]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

See, this is what I get for traveling for Thanksgiving. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question though....why would the ethical considerations remain? If no fetuses were used, and now eggs, doesn't that pretty much overcome all the serious objections most religious groups have?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

To clarify: "the underlying ethical controversy" I referred to was the one about the status of embryos - including what to do with frozen embryos nobody wants, in vitro fertilization, early medical abortions, etc.

This controversy, if this technique fulfills its promises, will no longer apply to stem cell research.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks...I was wondering. [Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.