FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Electoral Process

Author Topic: The Electoral Process
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, I ran for the office of Seargent-at-Arms at Demosthenian Literary Society (I lost). DLS is the oldest society at UGA; they specialize in debate and extemporaneous speaking.

When I got up on the stump to give my speech, I was wearing
1 track jacket
1 sweater
1 dress shirt
2 t-shirts
2 shoes
6 socks, distributed variously over my body to, um, accentuate some things
1 pair of jeans
1 pair of pajama pants
1 pair of shorts
2 pairs of boxers

Yeah. Lots of layering.

At the end of my speech, I was wearing
1 pair of boxers

There are many reasons for this. One was that I was ill-prepared, and decided to add a gimmick. Another was that elections go very late, and it was 2:00 AM before I spoke--I needed to get my audience's attention.

Interesting observation, though. I am very very body-shy; very uncomfortable with my body. But I felt just fine speaking in my boxers--a good deal more than I do speaking fully clothed. I should wonder how full nudity affects my speaking. My speech began with a lot of jokes; the end was more serious. And it was delivered half-naked. So. Fun.

By the way, I shall have to hurt my brother. I asked him if anyone had done this sort of thing before--I'd not like to copy anyone else. Turns out there is a precedent--except that he didn't keep anything covered.

So. This is another step in breaking me of my body-shyness. Yay!

And I think the fact I did well at all in the elections (though I lost) had a lot to do with my, um, presentation.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen a speech like that. And now my mind it trying to picture it, and failing.

Sorry for your loss. Congrats on your body-shyness reduction.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Taking a quick look at our current crop of presidential candidates, I'd just like to say that I hope your example does not become a common part of the electoral process.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet if I gave a speech where I ended up wearing nothing but a pair of boxers, I'd get the vote of every straight male in the audience.

I'm curious. Did you just start stripping with no explanation? How did the removal of clothing figure into your speech?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
I've never seen a speech like that. And now my mind it trying to picture it, and failing.

Sorry for your loss. Congrats on your body-shyness reduction.

It was pretty awesome. When I took off my hat and jacket, I don't think they thought anything of it. When the shoes came off, however, I think everyone in the room realized what was going to happen soon enough.

I'm not upset that I lost. I didn't have my heart set on it--but it was a great experience. Besides, precedent is against me: because the office requires a level of strength (the SoA's job is to eject unruly persons by force, etc), traditionally they like to elect petite girls. As a little gay dude, I hoped to have a fighting chance. And indeed, the first vote was a tie between me and the girl running.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
I bet if I gave a speech where I ended up wearing nothing but a pair of boxers, I'd get the vote of every straight male in the audience.

DLS has a lot of women and gay guys, so I hoped that would help me. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
I'm curious. Did you just start stripping with no explanation? How did the removal of clothing figure into your speech?

At no point did I reference the fact I was stripping. It did not figure at all in my speech. I simply and deliberately removed one article of clothing at a time. Nothing lascivious about it--just gradual nudity.

Really, if it hadn't been so deadpan and non sequitur, it wouldn't have worked nearly as well.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but I just imagined a debate between Hillary Clinton and Fred Thompson, and now I have to go poke my eyes out.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
errrm... You're s'poseta imagine the audience in their underwear.

Which was the punchline of a (possibly recent NonSequiter) cartoon.

[ November 30, 2007, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

This works better. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.