FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you worked at Pastwatch, what events would you follow? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you worked at Pastwatch, what events would you follow?
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Would you search for your long lost ancestors? Would you watch the signing of the Declaration of Independence? Would you look into the personal lives of famous figures? Would you follow the life of Jesus? Would you attempt to isolate the invention of fire, the wheel, or tools? Pastwatch is basically the door to all sorts of information, and it can be used and abused.

So what would you watch in the past? What events tickle your fancy; what would you want to witness (the TruSite II seems high-quality enough to support 1080p [Taunt] ).

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I would follow the lives of all the major prophets and see what really happened.

*I haven't actually read Pastwatch.

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The life, times, and effect of Malcolm X.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's well worth reading.

I'd watch the interactions between homo sapiens and its cousins.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
The life, times, and effect of Malcolm X.

Oh! Good answer.

I'd follow Jesus, Muhammed, Buddha, all of them folks.
Then I'd write a book about it.
Then I'd follow every historical event EVER.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat question.

I would try to see my mother, who died when I was a baby.

After that, I would love to see ancient Ireland, Scotland, and Britain.

Next, I would travel to ancient Sumer.

I would change...nothing.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd try and follow my family history, because it's been so concealed and twisted and rethreaded . . . if nothing else, it would be a fun challenge.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The final dedication of the Parthenon.
The battle of Gaugamela.
The building of Stonehenge.

And anything else that struck my fancy. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
What, none of you would stop the Kennedy and Lincoln assassinations?

Heartless jerks.

I would observe the founding of every major civilization and then go to the 1986 AFC championship game and stop John Elway.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:
I would observe the founding of every major civilization and then go to the 1986 AFC championship game and stop John Elway.

D'oh! That reminds me - I'd go to the Ice Bowl. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd witness the Exodus from Egypt and subsequent events at Mount Sinai. There was some special stuff going down around there!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenox
Member # 8987

- posted      Profile for Zenox   Email Zenox         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd watch religious events, follow my lineage, and observe important historical figures - mainly political/military geniuses and mathematicians.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I would find out who really committed various crimes, living memory or not.

Either learn Aramaic and listen to Jesus, or more likely read translations from Aramaic experts. Certainly I'd want to watch his interactions with others.

Observe my own childhood, to get a new perspective on it.

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see how big the Great Flood really was.

I would like to follow Crazy Horse around. He was so solitary and mysterious.

I would like to follow the lives of both Jesus and the Buddha.

I, too, would track my family history and would love to learn about each ancestor. I would like to watch my mother's parents when they first met and started dating as young teenagers.

Man, there isn't a lot I *wouldn't* want to watch. I mean, aside from actual acts of brutality, almost everything on every continent is interesting to me. (The brutality is interesting, I just don't know how much I could watch.) Most people and places become fascinating the more intimately you know them.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and dinosaurs. I have a thing for pterodactyls. ( I don't remember if that was possible...to follow before there were hyoomans.)
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd be able to stop myself from watching Salome's Dance of the Seven Veils. For the, uh, historical and cultural aspects. Yeah.

Maybe follow the life of Siddhartha Gautama. And Rasputin. Then I'd go looking for Pan.

I guess I'd be looking for some sort of Answers. And thrills, of course.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So many things, I don't know how I would choose! After following my own family for a while, probably take some time watching some people in ancient Greece and Rome-- did those events really play out the way the state-sponsored historians say they did? And I would look for mythological figures-- Oddysseus, Arthur, people like that.

I'd spend some time figuring out what happened to the Anasazi, and then I'd go find out what's really the answer behind some of the conspiracy-theory inspiring events, like JFK's assassination.

Of course, someone else would probably already have done all this 'cause I'm not very imaginitive and I could just read their report. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, and I would totally go watch some really great concerts that happened before I was born. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Heartless jerks.

Hey, if Sam couldn't do it, what hope do I have?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd prove once and for all if Shakespeare was the author of the plays attributed to him.

It would also be interesting to search for King Arthur and see how much truth there might have been to the legends.

Oh, and I'd second the Pyramids (both in Egypt and in Meso-America) and Stonehenge, just because the question of exactly how they were built remains the subject of speculation.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a thing for the history of the British monarchy. It'd be nice to get some perspective on guys who were only written about a couple hundred years after their deaths.

I'm also a little fuzzy on where different groups of settlers came from. I think it would be easier to get if I could see it in action.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenox
Member # 8987

- posted      Profile for Zenox   Email Zenox         Edit/Delete Post 
OH, also...
I would want to watch myself when I was younger. I've always thought one of the coolest things ever would be to have a conversation with yourself, at a different age, and this isn't far off.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I too would like to find out more about Shakespeare---not so much whether he wrote the plays, but how fast and with how much deliberation whoever the author was wrote them.

I'd also see whatever I could find out about Jesus and some other religious figures, though I think that in the world of the novel actual miracles are invisible.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
"Hey, if Sam couldn't do it, what hope do I have?"

Lol, that is actually the last episode I watched.

1000th post well used.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
First thing would be Jesus' life. Next thing would be the lives of all the major patriarchs in the Bible going back to Adam, assuming he was a real historical person. I would be all like "Abel, dude, look behind you!. [ROFL]
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, would check out Jesus to find out if he was a real historical person.

Then I would go back and watch the formation of Rome from the beginning. I'd need a few buckets of popcorn for that. [Smile]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
We could also use it to be Peeping Toms on some of the great beauties of history, couldn't we? Did OSC say in the novel how long ago an event had to have taken place for the Pastwatch machines to view it?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It does say that it's supposed to only work for things a certain distance past, but there's a scene were a guy does the "impossible" and shows the devastated rain forests by looking back very recently (like 15 minutes or something).
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
"Hey, if Sam couldn't do it, what hope do I have?"

Lol, that is actually the last episode I watched.

20th anniversary con in 2009! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Also, I'd check out that whole Trojan War thing. And see if that Homer guy was real.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I would want to go back and trace some of the great literary works, see what oral traditions and stories they stemmed from. Track Beowulf back to its origins, and the tales of King Arthur.

That would be [Cool] .

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Those assassinations were probably the best things that ever happened to those two men. Particularly Lincoln. It turned him from a highly controversial and contentious figure into a genuwine Amurrican saint.

Actually, for that reason alone, I might actually stop Booth.

What I'd really do is check out Sinai and see if I really have to be Jewish. I'm sufficiently convinced to act on it, but certainty would be nice.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I can certainly see the attraction in tracing your lineage (I imagine backwards would be an entertaining way to watch that, and the best way to find your ancestors).

In the spirit of the Pastwatch program in the book, I think my personal project would be to track the history of particular pieces of land throughout human history. Obvious examples were ones as mentioned before (Sinai, Jerusalem, Rome). But, I think it would also be just as interesting to watch a random location, and see how many people passed by it, how many took the time to look at it, how many changed it for better or worse.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The Reader, the question posed in the OP was what would you watch, not what would you change. Not everyone who worked at PastWatch got a chance to actually go back and do anything, that was kind of a big deal.

I think I'd start with the conspiracy-theory stuff: JFK assassination, Roswell UFO crash, stuff like that. Actually, depending on the results of that second one I might get sidetracked trying to verify/debunk other alien/UFO reports.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the book in a long time, so I forget if this is within the rules or limitations of the technology...

...but I'd want to go back and see early solar system and universe events (in time-lapse of course!) to get a better idea of how our planet came to be. I'd love to watch the birth of the sun, or how the moon got to orbit us, or what the asteroid belt was before it was what it is now, any big rocks to crash down on our planet, and when that big black obelisk came and taught our ancestors how to use blunt weapons. [Wink]

And I'd go back and see the first people to play bagpipes and uilleann pipes, because they're so freaking complicated.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Because of the thread title order, I just saw this:

If you worked at Pastwatch, what events would you follow?
NBA Basketball

[Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to track down Socrates and see what he was really like. Then I'd track down George Lucas and convince him that another couple of drafts of Episode I might be a good idea.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But in Pastwatch you can only watch, not interact (well, not unless you WANT to change your own existence and the world you live in.)
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote from Lisa--"Those assassinations were probably the best things that ever happened to those two men. Particularly Lincoln. It turned him from a highly controversial and contentious figure into a genuwine Amurrican saint."

It's always a little jarring when we actually sort of agree. I think that Lincoln had some fairly serious shortcomings as a commander in chief, and that those were demonstrated by how he handled the slave issue, as well as the fact that he directly ordered Sherman to burn Atlanta to the frequin' ground.

question for Lisa--Where does you anti-Lincoln bent originate, if I may make so bold?

[ December 04, 2007, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: steven ]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I would want to follow Nikola Tesla's life. I'd also want to follow the Basque and learn about their origins.
Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

I want to track all the migrations to and from the American Continents pre 1492.
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
If I worked at Pastwatch I’d like to know first how is it possible to time travel (even if it’s only information passing through). I think that would be quite interesting [Smile]

Beyond that, there surely are lots of interesting things and events to be witnessed in human history, and the ones that would clear debated points in nowadays “conflicts” would be on the top of my list. Many such events were noted above.

I’d mostly like to witness any “divine intervention” in action, if it were possible.

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
God blocks divine intervention from being shown to Pastwatch, duh. [Wink]

I would watch an accelerated version of humanity. The history of the world part 10.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I would need to know what Richard III was really like and, as a corollary, what happened to the princes in the tower.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
God blocks divine intervention from being shown to Pastwatch, duh. [Wink]

You see, if that were the case, and all the rest of the "information" were available using scientific principles, than the blocking itself would be "divine intervention" ! [Wink]

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
How could you tell? Would the pillar of fire have a black rectangle covering it up and the meteor that hit Sodom be pixelated?
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
quote from Lisa--"Those assassinations were probably the best things that ever happened to those two men. Particularly Lincoln. It turned him from a highly controversial and contentious figure into a genuwine Amurrican saint."

It's always a little jarring when we actually sort of agree. I think that Lincoln had some fairly serious shortcomings as a commander in chief, and that those were demonstrated by how he handled the slave issue, as well as the fact that he directly ordered Sherman to burn Atlanta to the frequin' ground.

question for Lisa--Where does you anti-Lincoln bent originate, if I may make so bold?

<shrug> I'm an Objectivist. The first time I heard that someone pointed out to Lincoln that the Constitution doesn't bar states from seceding, and he responded with, "It doesn't say they can, either", I realized that he was a thug and a bully.

Even during the feudal period, the right of removal was generally respected. Tyrant Abe couldn't even do that.

Since then, I've read books about him, and it's just appalling what he did to this formerly free nation. There were always blackguards who wanted to imperialize America, but he was the one who finally succeeded.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I'd also want to follow the Basque and learn about their origins.
Oooh, good one. And the Roma (Gypsies.)
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The right of removal wasn't generally respected in the feudal period, it just usually wasn't possible to do anything about it. If the one being removed from had a larger army and no other pressing concerns, they certainly did disrespect it.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

At least lip service was given to it. Abe enslaved a nation.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.