FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The 100 word story exercise(game?)

Author Topic: The 100 word story exercise(game?)
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
My English homework yesterday was to write a story that consisted of only 100 words, all of which were monosyllabic. She's going to post the stories in the room to read at our leisure because they're generally entertaining. I thought the people of Hatrack might appreciate this ?exercise? game?
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's a neat idea. So where's yours? [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Drabbles! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
"What's that?" Jane asked.

I tried to hide the box, but it was too late.

"Uh... what's what?" I tried. I moved to stand in front of it.

Jane tried to grab it from me, and I held it up, out of her reach. She jumped and grabbed at it, but I have a good foot on her in height.

I ran up the stairs with the box and slammed the door to my room just as she got there.

"Get lost!" I yelled. God, she was such a pest. I sat at my desk and looked at the box. I thought I could hide it, but that was out now. Jane had seen it, and I knew she'd tell Mom or Dad. And if they saw it, I was doomed.

I pulled out my phone and called my best friend, Liz. She'd know what to do. Or at least I hoped she would.

"Liz?"

"Hey, Ruth!" That's one of the things I liked about her. You could hear the smile in her voice.

"Liz, Jane saw the box."

"Oh, crud." I could hear her smile fade. "What did you tell her?"

"What do you think I told her?" I asked. "She's ten. She has no clue, you know? Like I could trust her."

"I know, but..."

"But what?" I felt so trapped. "Liz, you have to help. You have to tell me what to do. If they find out I have this..."

"Has it moved?" she asked.

"No," I told her. "At least I don't think so. Not while I've been home. But I don't know what I'll do if it does. Can't you hold on to it?"

Liz sighed. "You know I can't, Ruth. The note said you had to do this. We can't take a chance like that. Just make it through the next day or two, is all. Hide it on the top shelf, if you want. Jane can't reach up there. She can't see that high, right?"

I squirmed. Mom and Dad could, I knew. They'd stay out of my room if I asked them to, but what if they asked why? It's not like I won't lie, but if your folks catch you in a lie...

I took a deep breath. "Fine. But if they don't come and get it by the end of the week, I'm done. I can't do this. I won't do it. You can tell them it's my fault, if you want, but that's it."

"That's fine," Liz said. "I swear it won't be long now. They said they'd be here this week, and there's not much week left, right?"

"But what if..." That's all I got out, when I saw the box twitch. "Oh, no..." I choked.

"What is it?!" Liz cried.

"The box..." I said, but it was too late. There was a red glow, and the box seemed to get warm. It twitched just twice more, but the glow stayed strong and hot.

"Get out of there, Ruth!" Liz yelled, but I just put the phone down and sat on my bed. The box sat on my desk, and I knew that if I turned my lights off, the glow would light the room.

=======================

God, I must really be trying to procrastinate. That's 529 words, as far as Word can tell. And I have no earthly idea what's in the friggerty box. It's like finger exercises.

[ December 06, 2007, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I don't think I'd realized how much I need polysyllabic words.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Also, monosyllabic is in the accent of the speaker. The word "smile", for example. It's technically one syllable, but I've never heard it pronounced as anything other than two syllables.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
You used the word "nothing" in the 3rd line. Pretty good though, I wouldn't be able to do it.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Argh. I have to fix that.
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I finished mine off at school so I don't have it with me to post, and I can't currently find my flash drive sooo yeah. I'll probably write another one sometime though..
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad's completing his masters in English, and he had to re-write a paragraph from his book without the letter e (ommitting a particular letter from a story/chapter/book is called a lipogram).

He said it was one of the most difficult assignments he's ever had.

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
The word "only" is two syllables. You use that towards the end.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I have no earthly idea what's in the friggerty box.
A bad ham.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
The word "only" is two syllables. You use that towards the end.

Thanks. That's two. I fixed it.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
A bad ham.
Maybe. I was thinking more like what was in the suitcase in Pulp Fiction or the trunk in Repo Man. But we'll never know.
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

I am John. I met my friend Sue at the park last week. We had brought food to eat. I brought a can of peas. In our thrill for the peas we did not see the bulge in the can. We talked of our schools, our sports, our lives, and how that Kim Jung Il is such a bad man. It was a grand old time. Sue soon felt sick and went home. The next day I got a call from the doc. Sue had died. That bulge in the can had been her bane. It was caused by rot.

There we are.

Edit: botulism-->rot

[ December 06, 2007, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Starsnuffer ]

Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Err, Botulism is 3 syllables.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Maybe if you say it really fast?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the box, the one with the red glow, is a thing not seen here on this earth.

You tilt the lid of the box a bit, so the light pours out, a strange red light the holds sounds that in this world are new to our ears.

The lid is flapped back, and the box is gaping, a chasm of escaping something, rushing over the chamber in a thunder of colour and music: the second beat. The box is op-en.

And inside the box, under all the flashing lightening, under the rumpled paper, there is a second box, smaller, rounder, more complex. It is glowing, giving out the same red light as before.

With your hand you crack the lid, you open the patterned cover: you und-er-stand.

[Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Fine, but why does Ruth need to hold on to it? And why is it such a big secret? She's clearly freaking, and even though she thinks of Liz as her friend, I don't entirely trust Liz. I mean, you'd think she'd at least go over to Ruth's house, no? Share a bit of the burden, or something. She seems just a bit too willing to let Ruth carry the whole thing.
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

Maybe she lives too far away to get there in a timely enough fashion? Maybe she feels like it would be better to just stay and advise than risk something happening to Ruth while she was coming over.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she had it before Ruth and now knows better than to keep that thing anywhere near her. Which would mean that she might know what's in the box, and isn't telling Ruth for some reason.

The plot thickens.

Also, she is now dating Ruth's boyfriend's evil half brother (who has a mustache like Snidely Whiplash).

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

"Liz?"

"Hey, Ruth!" That's one of the things I liked about her. She has a short name, just like me.

Fixed that for ya. ;-)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Starsnuffer:
Maybe she lives too far away to get there in a timely enough fashion? Maybe she feels like it would be better to just stay and advise than risk something happening to Ruth while she was coming over.

Maybe. But she seems awfully cool about the whole thing.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

"Liz?"

"Hey, Ruth!" That's one of the things I liked about her. She has a short name, just like me.

Fixed that for ya. ;-)
Her last name is Strauss, though, which is fairly long, considering it's a single syllable.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.