FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » possibly coolest pics ever

Author Topic: possibly coolest pics ever
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
From this year's "Fleet Week" in San Francisco. There was a big hubub about whether or not to allow the Blue Angels to perform. I don't know if that had anything to do with these pics, but this is extraordinary, even for them.

http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1a/

Scroll down... there's pics of a low altitude high speed pass by lead solo (#5). In some of the shots, including a great blow-up to get a close-up, you can see the shockwave starting to form as he approaches the speed of sound. In another shot, the plane is nearly obscured because he has flown behind a *boat*.

I'm fairly enthusiastic about aviation and I've never seen anyone this low and fast simultaneously. Enjoy.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a lower res version of the shockwave one earlier this week and didn't quite get it at the time. That is wild.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] It would have been bad if he'd hit a boat... or the water, but that's more normal. Taking out somebody's mast: not so expected.

coool pictures.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty dang cool.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka -- that's the exact same page I linked on GC when I posted the shockwave image.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, that's got to be loud. A jet plane passing you pretty much at eye level, maybe 50-100 feet away, over water.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Going at just under the speed of sound, to boot!

Those picture are absolutely amazing.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, pretty sweet pictures.

And I have to say, the Raptor is a thing of beauty. It might be the last new air superiority fighter we make, and if that's the case, we certainly went out with a bang.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what makes it for me? The gee-whiz fanboy captions.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude... those guys were flying as close as people drive cars in bumper to bumper traffic... but several hundred miles per hour! That's ridiculous! Paint me a gee-whiz fanboy...
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
If he had broken the sound barrier, he would shattered every pane of glass on every boat in the bay.

I'd pay to see that! [Smile]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I thought this was gonna be kid pictures. I'm a little bit disappointed. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Man, I thought this was gonna be kid pictures. I'm a little bit disappointed. [Wink]

Well...SOMEone's kids are flying those jets, and if I were a parent of one of them, you can be darn sure I'd be pretty proud of them!
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The low altitude ones are awesome! Especially where you can see the shockwave.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
awesome pics. really amazing. how could those people on the boats not have anything to protect their ears? are they crazy?
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they weren't expecting the close air support?
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

Seconded! I've been cheated! [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - those are some pics!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
My uncle could die a happy man if he had been there.

As for myself not wearing ear protection would be part of the experience, like going to a rock concert and standing next to the speakers.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some of the most amazing aviation photos I've ever seen. Good link Jim-me.

I'd love to see video shot from the cockpit of the low-flying planes over the bay.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Great pics!
Those shock wave ones blow me away!
Thanks Jim.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to the dudes (and dudette) who fly.
[Smile]

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/index.htm

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen them at an air show here in Alabama - the Blue Angels, that is - it was a horrible drive, lots of traffic, uncomfortable, sitting on the ground, major frustration, huge crowds.....and worth every second of inconvenience and every dime we spent to get there.

If you have a chance to see them, GO.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are very cool pics, Jim-Me. I was very impressed with the quality of the photographs! I'm guessing you already saw the video of that one jet streaking across the water around fourth of July? (hmmm, I don't remember who posted that - maybe it was you!)
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't post the video, but I have seen it.

Kid pics may be forthcoming someday after I get a digital camera... [Smile]

Glad everyone enjoyed these, though.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kid pics may be forthcoming someday after I get a digital camera...
Want our old one? It's only, like, 4 megapixels, but it's a digital camera...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
Dang, that's got to be loud. A jet plane passing you pretty much at eye level, maybe 50-100 feet away, over water.

Not quite eye-level. According to Wikipedia, the F/A-18 Hornet is 56 feet long. You can extrapolate that the aircraft is about 20-30 feet off of the ground based on scale.

Still a remarkable feat, but hardly eye level.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you're standing in a big yacht, like some of those people were, I imagine it had to be going by at about eye level. Or 10 feet above you, maybe.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, very impressive photos! The shockwaves are like glass!

I was in Golden Gate Park that weekend seeing the Flecktones at the Hardly Strictly Bluegress Festival and saw some pretty good aerial maneuvers on the way there. Far away, though.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I was in Golden Gate Park that weekend seeing the Flecktones at the Hardly Strictly Bluegress Festival
*jealous*

I have not been to NEARLY enough music festivals and events since I got married and started having kids.

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

There were plenty of people with kids there. Some of them were probably even married, too. [Smile] (Yes, even in San Francisco!) Get thee to a music festival!

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.