FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Swarovski considered a luxury good?

Author Topic: Is Swarovski considered a luxury good?
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to get my significant other a swarovski braclet and necklace, but I don't know what reputation this company has with the general public, could someone please tell me if they are considered good quality?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they are. I have a necklace and earrings set and I love them.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, definitely.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
The great thing about Swarovski is that there is something for every price range. I have a gorgeous pair of earrings from them that only cost me $30 at a high end department store. Those earrings were sitting right next to a $400 tiara.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is Swarovski considered a luxury good?
For some definition of luxury.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Swarovski is considered 'luxury' by the majority - but I do know that when I walk into the store there are sparkles, the feeling is nice and the view is pretty. That's quality to me, regardless of 'luxury to the majority' status. Plus... when you get up close you can actually see the care that went into each one. According to my 1981 Webster (3b) - luxury is "something adding to pleasure or comfort but not absolutely necessary", when used as an adjective.

I'd say that Swararvski counts as luxury. ; )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
When I think of "luxury," I don't think of Swarovski. If, however, you're asking if Swarovski is reputed to produce high quality products at relatively reasonable prices, then the answer is "yes."
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Reasonable? Yikes.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For some definition of luxury.
LOL.

I liked the crystal champaigne/wine glasses they have, but most things are too sparkly for me.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I work as a Fine Jewelry manager, and they are top quality crystals, the best being sold right now, so I would say they are a luxury item. They add value to any item with them .

[Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It is precisely because Swarovski crystals are glued to cheap crap to somehow increase that crap's perceived value that I have some difficulty thinking of Swarovski as a "luxury" manufacturer. I think of them like Godiva or Tiffany and Co.: a once-exclusive brand that now really markets to the shopping mall set, but trades on the luster remaining in their name.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I love swarovski crystals and beads, and for bead making and crafts they are the best crystals out there. That said, they are very expensive for that sort of project, so depending on the project, I'll buy knock-offs.

Example: I've made t-shirts for my daughter in her high school colors. I buy a cheap t-shirt, then applique letters in contrasting material, then hotfix rhinestones around the letters to make them sparkle. I was using swarovski crystals, but they were waaaay too expensive when I began getting requests from other girls for shirts. 10 gross of swarovski rhinestones were around $85. 10 gross of hotfix crystals that are NOT swarovski are $18-20. Big difference. And yet, I can hotfix a swarovski next to a cheap version and no one can tell, even if they're side by side.

In beads though, I find the swarovski are FAR superior to knock-offs. For beading, when I want crystals, swarovski is the only one I use.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
Swarovski crystals are not gemstones.

However, it seems to still be an attrative gift to those attracted to shiny things. I find that girlfriends prefer the small Swarovski animals hidden in Easter eggs to, say, a mini Milky Way bar. A Mily Way bar is very matte, albeit tasty.

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd much rather have Swarovski crystals than diamonds, personally.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
Why? (I don't understand the appeal of either.)
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

'Cause they're shiny and fun without being so expensive that I would be really upset if something happened to them (other than sentimental reasons, the person who gave it to me), and things happen to my stuff a lot with little ones in the house, and also, you know, the whole blood diamond thing.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
^ Yup. Exactly.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
What with grow-your-own 300carat flawless diamonds removing most of the scarcity value, one would have to be daft to purchase natural diamonds for more than a small fraction of current prices.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of Swarovski before. But I'm not a very luxurious type of person as far as that type of thing goes. I find refrigeration and indoor plumbing (hot water especially) to be luxurious, though.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.