FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Romney's speech on Faith (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Romney's speech on Faith
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a bit surprised to read it from OSC
From my perspective, OSC has been writing this way for years. I'm somewhat surprised that people are surprised by this. Is it because he's writing about religion, as opposed to the other subjects which he has treated in this manner?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it is an aspect of human nature to retire from the effort involved in participating in an understanding of God
I'm not sure I agree. I look around and see a whole lot more humans trying to understand God than trying to understand physics.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I like Huckabee.

quote:
Right now, I feel like we CAN understand Him-- if anything is possible with God, than so is that.

This is a very interesting point, Scott.

quote:
The thing that bothers me about Scott and pooka's participation here is that they really don't seem to me to be looking to understand how other religions see things, btu rather looking for avenues to attack them. Maybe that's not their intent, but it does seem that way to me.
Squicky, I guess you're not seeing all the places I point out that Mormonism is subject to the same ecology of pride and detachment of form from function.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
I guess you're not seeing all the places I point out that Mormonism is subject to the same ecology of pride and detachment of form from function.
I don't see why that would affect your intention of attacking, rather than understanding others' religions that I am seeing.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Because my "intention" is in your imagination?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, not again...
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
it is an aspect of human nature to retire from the effort involved in participating in an understanding of God
I'm not sure I agree. I look around and see a whole lot more humans trying to understand God than trying to understand physics.
I wonder if you see humans trying to understand God or thinking that they already do?

Besides. God is more interesting than physics. [Wink]

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Hey, if that's not what you are doing, then that's fine. I'm just telling you how it looks to me.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:

Could not disagree more. Physics is so much cooler! [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT:

I'm not looking for an avenue of attack. Ain't how I roll.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Squicky, what do you feel is the best way to understand God? How do you try to do it?
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:

Could not disagree more. Physics is so much cooler! [Wink] [Razz]
Au contraire-- as a system of thinking, ideas, and examination, and fact, physics' temperature is...well, non-existant.

From the Mormon point of view, since God has a physical body, He can tentatively be said to have a measurable temperature. Since some temperature is both cooler and warmer than a non-existant/non-possible temperature, God is cooler (and hawter) than physics.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Squicky, what do you feel is the best way to understand God?
For starters, realizing that there is no "best" way to understand God.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you prefer to do it? What ways of understanding God have you found to be the most rewarding?
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I don't think you understand. You are treating understanding the divinity like it is a separate, distinct act. For me, it's not.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

You're ducking the question.

Come on - everyone else is putting their hearts on their line. Why not offer yours?

What, exactly, do you do or think or feel when you want to understand God?

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

No, I'm not ducking the question. If you are not going to respect my beliefs, why the heck should I entertain your requests?

Try thinking about what I've said. You don't understand it right now and your questions aren't productive for you because of that.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

You haven't said anything straight and you are ducking the question. Stop dancing around and give a straight answer that isn't just wiggling or insults.
Scott R
Member # 567

Excellent questions.

Illuminating answers.

Scott R
Member # 567

I would just like to point out that I have not "laid my heart on the line."

Also not how I roll.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that Squick thinks of divinity in a manner fairly close to Kate.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If its any consolation Dana, I felt exactly the same way. OSC does to mainstream Christianity in this essayexactly what we Mormons complain about when other Christians do it to us. I am always dismayed when I see members of my church doing this. I was particularly disappointed and a bit surprised to read it from OSC.
Rabbit, it's a consolation to hear you say that, and not surprising in the least - based on your previous posts on the subject, I would have been shocked had you approved of those aspects of the article. Your desire to understand other religions is abundantly clear, even when you are confronting those who aggressively misunderstand yours.

There are numerous other Mormons on the board who also seek to understand. I certainly don't think OSC is representative of Mormons in this regard.

The reason I wasn't surprised by OSC's latest article was because of this post he made in response to a correction I sent him concerning the beliefs of Catholics.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:

I know this is not meant for me, but hey, it's a public forum, so ...

I personally feel the same way as when I'm left out on an inside joke. I ask questions and nobody answers, all they say is inconsistent and then still claim they do understand it and I don't. So basically, I'm waiting for an answer that never comes. [Confused]

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Mircea Eliade described a major aspect of religious thought as a separation of the sacred from the profane. While this is certainly evident in many of the world's religions and it seems to work for many people, I don't accept this distinction.

Terry Pratchett has a character say something much more in line with the way I see it: "Either all days are holy or none of them are." Likewise, for me, either all moments are holy, all experiences are holy, or none of them are.

I choose to believe that they are holy.

You are asking my questions from the sacred/profane background assumption. They don't really make sense with the latter perspective.

I've given you what answers I can. If you want to understand, you're going to need to change how you think about them.

---

Plus, I don't think there is a single active member of Hatrack who would think that you are asking these questiongs in good faith or with a sense of respect.

---

edit: Because I'm pretty sure most people here would need to know me better to get this off the bat, the juxtaposition of Eliade and Pratchett (especially who they are) is a deliberate part of my answer.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
I'm pretty sure that Squick thinks of divinity in a manner fairly close to Kate.
I think this is only true in the manner of general approach. Our specifics seem to me to be very, very different.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by suminonA:
quote:

I know this is not meant for me, but hey, it's a public forum, so ...

I personally feel the same way as when I'm left out on an inside joke. I ask questions and nobody answers, all they say is inconsistent and then still claim they do understand it and I don't. So basically, I'm waiting for an answer that never comes. [Confused]

A.

Charles Ives: "The Unanswered Question". Take a listen, I think you will find it to be a good match for your feelings.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
Charles Ives: "The Unanswered Question". Take a listen, I think you will find it to be a good match for your feelings.

Thanks, I will look for it. [Smile]

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Mircea Eliade described a major aspect of religious thought as a separation of the sacred from the profane. While this is certainly evident in many of the world's religions and it seems to work for many people, I don't accept this distinction.

Terry Pratchett has a character say something much more in line with the way I see it: "Either all days are holy or none of them are." Likewise, for me, either all moments are holy, all experiences are holy, or none of them are.

I choose to believe that they are holy.

You are asking my questions from the sacred/profane background assumption. They don't really make sense with the latter perspective.

That makes sense to me. It doesn't appear to me to be "ducking" anything.

And I agree with it.

If think that MrSquicky understands my theology (at much as I do anyway); I don't think he agrees with it.

oooo! have you hear Peter Mayer's song "Everything is Holy Now"? It is one of my favourites and I think you would like it. At least the ideas if not the tune.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
"Either all days are holy or none of them are." Likewise, for me, either all moments are holy, all experiences are holy, or none of them are.
I dislike the extreme nature of that sentence, but I'm not going to build an argument around the extremes.

I think that most moments are neither holy nor profane. I think that they're events, and that they're neutral in that respect.

That is-- the birth of my children is not holy. The moment of my marriage isn't sacred. The days and years of my marriage are not intrinsically holy.

Unless I make them so. The world happens; glory and holiness, tragedy and profanity are thrust upon it by those who act within it.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

quote:
I personally feel the same way as when I'm left out on an inside joke. I ask questions and nobody answers, all they say is inconsistent and then still claim they do understand it and I don't. So basically, I'm waiting for an answer that never comes.
You're not the first person I've heard that from, and it always leaves me not quite knowing what to say.

The closest I can come to understanding is how people talk about music - how it's transcendent. In August Rush, the kid says he believes in music the way others believe in fairy tales. I've certainly tried to listen, and taken years of lessons, and done my best, and I still always try, and while I can hear that it's beautiful, it never clicks the way...the poetry or science or visual arts do.

I imagine it's something similiar. I don't get answers all the time or even most of the time, but I've had enough glimpses and enough miracles that I'm very sure of the Lord's existence even when I don't see or hear him at the present time.

pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
Likewise, for me, either all moments are holy, all experiences are holy, or none of them are.

Well, I'm sorry that previous digressions have made anything I want to say likely to be misunderstood.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Scott,
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Not a problem, just letting you know that it doesn't seem to me like you get it.

That's not a statement of extremes. It's one of perspective.

pooka
Member # 5003

But you (Squick) are saying one has a choice whether to see one's life as sacred or profane?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Well, I'm sorry that previous digressions have made anything I want to say likely to be misunderstood.
Why yes, I would like some tea.
Scott R
Member # 567

Perspective is exactly the meat of my post.
pooka
Member # 5003

Mormons talk a lot about God's perspective. It seemed like very often they meant he was very far away. But I think part of what makes God so amazing is that he can see us all and still see each of us closely.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

I very rarely hear of "God's" perspective. I often hear about taking an "eternal" perspective, but I think that's different. That's putting this life in the context of our lives before and after.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

hmmm...I thought I just posted this. Oh well, I'll try again.
quote:
But you (Squick) are saying one has a choice whether to see one's life as sacred or profane?
While I'd agree that people have that choice, that's not the one that I was talking about.

Rather, I was talking about the choise between seeing a distinction between the sacred and profane versus not seeing one.

---

edit: One thing that I'd like to mention is that, from my perspective (though definitely not from the s/p view), the choice one makes is much less important than the choosing.

pooka
Member # 5003

[JH] No one has ever talked about eternal perspective in a way that made me think my problems were as big as they seemed to me.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Here is a link to Peter Mayer's website because I shouldn't post the lyrics to the whole song:

http://www.petermayer.net/music/

And here is a taste:

When holy water was rare at best
It barely wet my fingertips
But now I have to hold my breath
Like I’m swimming in a sea of it
It used to be a world half there
Heaven’s second rate hand-me-down
But I walk it with a reverent air
‘Cause everything is holy now

Mick from Mars
Member # 11347

- posted      Profile for Mick from Mars           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my opinion, all explanations of God are gross oversimplification. And that's okay.

If Hatrack had signatures, this would be mine.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The closest I can come to understanding is how people talk about music - how it's transcendent. In August Rush, the kid says he believes in music the way others believe in fairy tales. I've certainly tried to listen, and taken years of lessons, and done my best, and I still always try, and while I can hear that it's beautiful, it never clicks the way...the poetry or science or visual arts do.

I can personally attest to getting rather extreme emotional rushes while listening to trance music. I have to be in the right state of mind though.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag: I'm typing this on my wii so forgive the shortness. I think the geometry metaphor was more a comprehensive comparison of the dialogue that goes on when mormons and TC converse on the topic of the trinity. Before joining hatrack all discussions I had about the trinity were very similar to Cards mock dialog. Having said that I was not impressed with the overall message of the post. I remember Mr. Card's response to your question and found it a bit dismaying. He sounds so pleasently kind when he speaks but comes across as quite sour in his opinion writing. And now my wrist hurts [Razz]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the geometry metaphor was more a comprehensive comparison of the dialogue that goes on when mormons and TC converse on the topic of the trinity. Before joining hatrack all discussions I had about the trinity were very similar to Cards mock dialog.
If that was his intent - and I don't doubt that such conversations happen regularly - then he did not make that at all clear in his writing. It's presented as "a theological argument between a traditional Christian (TC) and a biblical Christian (LDS)."

If he added "conveniently selected inarticulate and ill-informed" before "traditional Christian" he might have been accurate. But he presented it as the traditional Christian view.

This is especially frustrating from a man who very recently decried the "standard biased-media methodology" that "[g]ive[s] a quote (usually inadequate or inept) from the side you oppose, then finish the piece with an eloquent quote from the team you're on."

quote:
And now my wrist hurts
I'm glad this isn't an ona...

er, thanks for braving the wii to reply. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
If he added "conveniently selected inarticulate and ill-informed" before "traditional Christian" he might have been accurate. But he presented it as the traditional Christian view.

If he added "a conviently simplistic and uninformed" before "Biblical Christian" (LDS), it would be even more accurate. The LDS church and scriptures also teach that God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are both three and one. We differ from creedal Christianity in that we specify in which ways they are three and in which ways they are one and not that we claim they are three period.

I just looked up Trinity in the Catholic Encyclopedia and it begins
quote:
The Trinity is the term employed to signify the central doctrine of the Christian religion -- the truth that in the unity of the Godhead there are Three Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, these Three Persons being truly distinct one from another.

Thus, in the words of the Athanasian Creed: "the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and yet there are not three Gods but one God."

I think those statement are reasonably compatible with the LDS understanding of the Godhead.

Of course if you dig much deeper, the views start to depart. Most notably Catholics describe the Trinity as a mystery which cannot be clearly understood, while Mormons believe they have a very clear understanding of how the members of the Godhead are both three and one.

To be fair however, I do know Christian theologians who do view God pretty much as OSC describes. In fact, much of what he said stems from the Westminster Confession of Faith (1646) which reads

quote:
There is but one only living and true God, who is infinite in being and perfection, a most pure spirit, invisible, without body, parts, or passions, immutable, immense, eternal, incomprehensible, almighty, most wise, most holy, most free, most absolute . . .
I know that many Mormons confuse this confession with the creeds and presume it is authoritative in all creedal Christian denominations. I have no idea how widely accepted it is in Christian denominations. It is accepted by the Presbtyrian church of America but I don't know if it is recognized currently by any other denomination. I do know of other Christian theologians who espouse this view of God. I spent a week this summer with a Benedictine monk who had very similar view of God.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

For me, God (the Creator) is all those things... and personal, intimate and desiring of communion with me.

(I believe they meant "passion" somewhat differently than we understand it today.)

TomDavidson
Member # 124

How can something be ineffable and intimate?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

It's God.

Besides, I, at least, am incapable of adequately describing several intimate things.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.