FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *sigh* thats one place I'll probably not get a job with now.

Author Topic: *sigh* thats one place I'll probably not get a job with now.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
There's this computer store that while I deslike it for a large number of reasons I wouldn't mind given my desparation for a job work there, the store is MDG but my dad sent them a registered letter regarding outstanding issues between them and us and so probably they won't hire me now assuming there was a position I was qualified for.

*sigh*

the issues being that after upgrading my grpahics card fome 6 months after getting my computer my powersupply blew up luckily taking nothing with it.

The default videocard that they sold us with it they charged some 200+ dollars for (ATI Radeon Sapphire X300SE) which wasn't anywhere worth near 200$ at the time.

The RAM they gave us a deal promising to double our ram (from 512-1GB) for an extra 7$ but without telling us halved our ram speed, magically when we brought it in to have them look at this the speed of the ram double back to what it was supposed to be.

And sometime before the warranty expired my moniter failed on me and for some reason no matter how much I prodded my parents we never got it looked it.

MDG has a rather bad reputation in Canada. link

But despite all of this I would be willing to work, but I doubt they'ld hire me now [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Apply for a job anyway, the worst that can happen is that you don't get it, which you won't if you don't try. Maybe you will. Just go in very neat and tidy, be very polite, be positive about their business and enthusiastic about getting a job there.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Just like TFDH said - you'll never know if you don't try, and you really have nothing to lose in the trying. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Would the person doing the hiring necessarily know that you are the one involved in this issue? (especially since your father sent the letter, not you.)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
There is ZERO chance that Hiring would be checking with Complaints about the suitability of an applicant. It would take a series of wildly improbable coincidences for Hiring to find out that Complaints had contact with your father. And another series of wildly improbable coincidences for Hiring to link your father to you.
A more likely scenario would be getting hit by lightning on the way to your first day working for the computer store.

Even if such coincidences were to occur, there'd be ZERO chance that Hiring would care about what Complaints has on file.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:

A more likely scenario would be getting hit by lightning on the way to your first day working for the computer store.

Don't be a jinx!

See, there you go Blayne, now you don't even have to apply as Bladrey.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luna 9
Member # 11326

- posted      Profile for Luna 9           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he could apply as "Aloysius McPoot".

OK, that's probably not helpful.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably a moot point now, but is there any particular reason why you couldn't do the upgrades yourself? I know some people don't like to fiddle around in their computers, but I've found it's easier to do stuff like change the RAM and video cards myself than to have to turn to people in an electronics store. A lot of the time they try to charge you for stuff that they shouldn't.

But TFDH is right. Take a few minutes to give them an application. Worst case, they say no and you're no worse off than you were before.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine recently applied for a job at a company to which her husband had written a complaint letter about service they received. During the testing process of the second interview, they had her type up mock responses to client letters - and gave her the one that her husband had sent in! Oh, and yes she was hired.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I have the worst credit record in history (even going so far as to get money taken off my paycheck) and I worked for Citibank, MasterCard and several other financial services.

One thing should not have anything to do with the other. The problems you are describing have nothing to do with your ability to perform the job at hand.

You have to have a little more confidence when you look for work, don't think they'll say "no" right off the bat. Try anyway. As stated, what can you lose?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.