FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Snow Day

Author Topic: Snow Day
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
And to think, I've got no less then FOUR exams in the next two days, each lasting three hours.

Nothing personal, but I hate you.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't hate me. Hate the weather here.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, Flaming Toad. Two tomorrow, one Wednesday, and one Friday morning.

Oh, and I had one last Thursday, too. My hardest, actually.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I have two -- both three hours, both one week from today.

As you can imagine, my motivation to study is nonexistant.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenox
Member # 8987

- posted      Profile for Zenox   Email Zenox         Edit/Delete Post 
We are definitely going to have one tomorrow; 100% chance of freezing rain for 24 straight hours [Big Grin]
Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh how I miss the days when they would actually cancel classes. They did last year for the first time in 60+ years. I'm not really counting on them doing it again.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I really want a snow day tomorrow. I mean really. I have so much to do and am supposed to be on campus really early. I miss having them cancel classes too, ad. I think my campus believes that you, the student, probably should have gotten into a dorm, and they hav no regard for commuters.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Originally posted by adfectio:
Oh how I miss the days when they would actually cancel classes. They did last year for the first time in 60+ years. I'm not really counting on them doing it again.

Here too... where do you go to school?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

We had at least four or five snow days a year when I was in high school. Our school district was a "walking district," which means nobody was bussed to school, everyone was expected to walk, regardless of how far away you were. They closed it a lot for the elementary schools I guess for fear of toddlercicles, and since we had to walk so far for high school they closed it a lot for us too.

I've yet to have a college snow day, but we did have a wind day two years ago. The campus is kind of spread out and there's a bunch of big hills all over the place so there are always bad winds, but two winters ago there was a really windy day on top of record cold, so they told everyone not to bother coming to class (well, it was sort of unofficial, since all the of the "they" was college profs sending out mass emails).

That's Oakland University for you, three feet of snow? Suck it up and go to class! Bit windy outside? Cripes, stay home!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
They cancelled evening classes before the precipitation even started to fall. Now that it's raining and freezing, they've closed the college for tomorrow. The air temp keeps rising, though, so I'm not sure if this will keep up. The forecasters seem to think the freezing temps will stick around, and they're calling for up to an inch of ice.

After sliding out of the parking lot at work and driving home, I'm not going anywhere. The flashlights and other handy items are ready, in case the power fails. It's only a matter of time...

[Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No snow days here.

And I'm really ok with that. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
We sometimes have rain days. Well, my husband's college does, mine down the street in a worse flooding position does not.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
Here too... where do you go to school?

Mount Vernon Nazarene (it's in central Ohio, in case you've never heard of the tiny, tiny city [Big Grin] )
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Oh, ok. I'm in IN, so I guess it makes sense that we'd have similar weather conditions. [Smile] For some crazy instant, I thought maybe we went to the same school!
adfectio
Member # 11070

That would have been pretty crazy. I've got a friend I grew up with that goes to school out there at Anderson University. I'm not sure how close to you that is, just listing people you might actually have some physical proximity to. lol.
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have exams this week, all three hours. One was today, one more on Wed, Thurs, and Friday. On the other hand, it was 76 degrees here (NC) today. The thought that after my exams I'll have to go back to New Jersey where it's been in the low 30s is almost enough to kind of make me not be looking forward to finishing. Almost.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by xtownaga:
On the other hand, it was 76 degrees here (NC) today.

Warmer than here! We've been in the chilly 60s all week. *shiver*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

We're in the middle of a major ice storm.

Last night, I measured between 1/4" and 3/8" of ice...now there's surely more.

The power periodically dies or browns out, now. I don't trust it. I'm using my laptop, plugged in while I can still get power, so I don't have to let my desktop handle the surges and spikes.

I'm going to venture out later and try some photos and ice measurements. I'll be careful. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
That would have been pretty crazy. I've got a friend I grew up with that goes to school out there at Anderson University. I'm not sure how close to you that is, just listing people you might actually have some physical proximity to. lol.

I think that's about two hours from here (DePauw). One of my friends on campus is dating a girl who goes to Anderson.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I got my snow day (turned into an ice day) sort of. Classes were canceled until 12, meaning I still have to do my presentation at 2:30. Darn.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't have Snow Days at my old university, only "Terrorists are Attacking Days."

We did, however, have a "Dancers Shouldn't Dance in Smoke" day at my school in Santa Monica this semester.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Well, the power didn't just quit here, so I consider myself lucky. We wound up with between .50" and .75" of ice, plus a layer of sleet/snow/ice pellets. The air temperature hovered just under 30 degrees, which probably prevented the roads from freezing into solid sheets of ice. They'll get their chance tonight, when the air temperature plummets into the teens.

I took the opportunity to walk around town this morning, camera in hand, to take some photos. It wasn't hard to find a tree dropping branches, either. I saw a few limbs fall in person, and I heard even more. Because of this, I was scrupulously careful not to stand under any trees. [Smile] (In fact, I think that's what woke me up this morning, the sounds of a tree collapsing.)

There are many towns in northern, central, and northeast Kansas that don't have power tonight. Emergency planners have opened shelters in many of those towns, but I expect it will be a few days until all the outages are fixed. Work tomorrow, oh the joys of driving on ice!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in school. I'm working a job, and there are no snow days. We are expected to come in through snow, ice, flood, fire, and terrorist attacks.

Thus, I do not celebrate the snowy accumulations and the icy roads.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Snow? I'm so jealous. It got up to 80 here today. [Frown]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Want to trade places for a day?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to be warm. Alas.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
DePauw didn't close in 94 or 96? I know IU did, and most of the state was closed, suprising, though I guess you have way less commuters.

It was 65 here today, we'll probably have snow by Friday.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If it was Michigan it'd be 65 during the day and have snow that same night.

Though we haven't gotten much above freezing lately, it was like that all through September and October. 70 during the day and high 30's at night.

My brother told me when he was in the Marines and stationed at 29 Palms, one of the things he hated the most was that it'd snow overnight, they'd spend the early morning shoveling, only to have it melt when the sun came up. Talk about an exercise in futility.

Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
DePauw didn't close in 94 or 96? I know IU did, and most of the state was closed, suprising, though I guess you have way less commuters.

It was 65 here today, we'll probably have snow by Friday.

Nope. Not since 1940-something. Maybe 60-something. Anyway, a long time ago. Until last year, on Valentine's Day.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I remember when IU closed in 94, my mom was working there. It was sooo cold, like -10 or something. Then 96 we had 18 inches alternating ice and snow.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in Michigan, we never had snow days. Like Lyrhawn, we just walked to school. In snowpants and parkas. I guess we all lived close enough that no one cared.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.