FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is your happiness rational? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is your happiness rational?
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
We get annoyed with how the family members tell the contestants that they should keep going because they deserve good things, as if that actually affects what is in the suitcase.

Clearly not a gambler. These things matter!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
The tricky thing about money is to remember that the more money you have, the less each additional unit of money is worth.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
The tricky thing about money is to remember that the more money you have, the less each additional unit of money is worth.

Uh...my gas is $3.49/gallon, whether I'm rich or poor.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:

Right, but we're (presumably) talking about value with respect to "utility" here, and not in terms of quantity of dollars possessed. If you're loaded, $3.49 means less to you than it would if you were working from paycheck to paycheck.

It's a case of diminishing marginal utility.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what Tres might be referring to is the idea that there's decreasing marginal utility to money - generally people tend to care less about getting that 101th dollar than they did about getting the 1st dollar or even the 100th dollar. This is equivalent to the idea of people being risk adverse (rather have $499 than a 50% chance of $1000 & a 50% chance of nothing).

People also tend to show decreasing absolute risk aversion - the more money you have, the more risks you're willing to take. There's also nonincreasing relative risk aversion - people are willing to take higher risks in proportion to their wealth as their wealth increase. So you'd be more willing to take a gamble with $100 if you have a $1000 than you would be willing to take a gamble with $5 if you have only have $50.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
If you would not do something for a million dollars, there is very little chance you would do it for ten million. But if you wouldn't do something for 10,000 you may do it for 100,000.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you would not do something for a million dollars, there is very little chance you would do it for ten million.
I'm not sure I agree. I am confident that if I had ten million dollars, I'd be set for life. I am far less confident that I could safely retire right now if I only had one million dollars.

I would be much more likely to do something that could keep me from ever being able to work again for ten million dollars than for one million.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
mph- maybe $10 million vs $100 million is your threshold?
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

One million dollars just isn't that much.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer to the question in the thread title doesn't really have anything to do with my answer to the question posed in the post. My expected return on choosing option I is $500,000, and option II is $695,000. So in any game of chance I would choose II if I was going strictly by the numbers. But like Eros and others have mentioned, the utility of having that much money outweighs the chance of having much more. So I may be inclined to choose I. Though knowing me I'd probably go with II anyway.

This is similar to how in a poker tournament I may conceivably make a decision to not play in a pot where the numbers say I should stay in. This happens if I'm on the cusp of "getting in the money". Since winning the pot may only make me marginally better off on the table while losing the pot could cost me any chance of getting paid off at all(which is actually why the time just before the cutoff for who makes it in the money is a great time to be aggressive and steal pots from people who are wary of risking not getting paid off).

going back to the original question though, I think it is rational. Assuming happiness does not equal money. And given that assumption, taking the utility value of that money into account(and whatever other factors you can think of) is the only rational way to go about it. Though from a completely monetary perspective, yes, II and 2 are the obvious correct answers.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For a very rich peson, paying $3.49 for gas might just mean he has $3.49 less to invest in stocks. For a very poor person, paying $3.49 for gas could mean he doesn't have money to buy food for his family that day. So, I would say the gas literally costs more for the very poor person than for the very rich person.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.