FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Dark Knight: Full Trailer Now Online! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Dark Knight: Full Trailer Now Online!
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
the Joker is nothing more than a psychopath with a clown fetish
The Joker is nothing more than a psychopath with a clown fetish.
I thought that was the point.
No no no. The Joker, regardless of context, is supposed to be merely a psychopath with a clown fetish--not just in this particular version.

Just as Batman is merely a rich guy with a savior complex. And suit.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I know my opinion isn't very popular, but I've never really liked Tim Burton's style in any of his movies. I applaud that they're different, breaking from the norm, often creative, and dark in humor.

But I don't think ANY of his movies register on my "classics" or "greats" list. The closest is Edward scissorhands, because the story is so well done. The rest of them seem like a vehicle for his weird/morbid sense of humor.

That said, I have no ties to the old Batman, Jack Nicholson, or Tim Burton. I *loved* Batman Begins, and Dark Knight looks awesome.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe my problem is that I've never even experienced the 1989 Batman flick. Perhaps I'd have mixed opinions if I'd seen the classic.

But this is a new take on the series, and I feel that it's probably the best so far. I mean, it's really difficult to top Batman Begins. Even the Spider-Man movies somewhat pale in comparison.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think pfresh's beef with a makeup-oriented rather than permanent skin tattoo oriented Joker is pretty darn silly, and that the Joker really is basically a sadistic, murderous lunatic with a clown'n'laffs'n'Batman fetish (consider the things that define Joker, not just are associated with him), but it's a personal taste issue. No big whoop.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if they'll have the guts to keep The Joker alive at the end of the movie?... I'd actually be curious to see what Nolan might do with, say, Harley Quinn...
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. I am rather tired of the bad guy having to die at the end of all the batman movies. The joker is supposed to be his arch enemy, lets not kill him off after an hour and 29 minutes or so from meeting each other.

Although, scarecrow didnt die. And we didnt actually SEE the body of Raj Al Ghoul (you can correct me on spelling if you feel like it). Although I dont see how he would have survived.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I recall, Nolan has stated in an interview that they were going to keep the Joker around until the end of the trilogy, at least.

And Cillian Murphey is listed on IMDB as being in The Dark Knight. So we should see Scarecrow again, as well.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
First I heard that it was a trilogy. Thats kind of dissappointing.

I'd like it to keep going, as long as Nolan keeps directing, we dont have new people playing batman every movie and that we NEVER EVER have to see something like the batman on ice movie that killed the first series.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Batman!
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Not only did we not see the body of al'Ghul, we don't really know if it even was al'Ghul. I mean, in movie terms, both Liam's character and al'Ghul are still in play, if they aren't the same person that is.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

I adopted the idea that the older man was al'Ghul, and when he died, Liam then took the name. When Liam dies, some other leader of the group takes the name. That way the character retains the immortality that the series suggests he has, without introducing anything supernatural into the series.
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been very surprised at the support for Tim Burton's Batman. I was never a big fan of it. It just came off too cheesy for me. Admittedly, he did some interesting stuff, It just didn't play as Batman to me. This new Joker is one I can be excited about, Jack Nicholson, although he did a great job with it, was not the Joker I feel he could have and should have been.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Who says the first al'Ghul we saw even died? Honestly. He was pinned under a wooden beam in a burning fortress, but was left with his throat unslit and his head firmly attached to his body. He, too, is still totally in play if the creators want him to be.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.