FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recommend a college to me. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Recommend a college to me.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Obviously these things have to be traded off with taking classes that your actually interested in, but I think some big picture thinking is needed here.)
Apparently most folks don't have this problem, but when I was young I thought the point of education was to help me find the answers to these big questions. Happy is the person who knows these answers before they begin.

I can also say from experience that education did not bring me these answers, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. (I'm 37).

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit's advice is excellent. However, this is incorrect:

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Moving and working in the city where you want to study will have two advantages. It will <snip> make you independent so that you don't have to include your parents income when you apply for financial aid.

This has not been true for federal aid since the late 80s (IIRC). To be independent now you must be at least 24, married, an orphan, have one or more dependents, be currently serving in the US military or a veteran, or be working toward a post-baccalaureate degree.

However, having income/savings to help pay for his own education is certainly a good idea. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Uhh, California Technical Institute?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, it's the California Institute of Technology, if we're being formal. [Wink] And if you don't believe me they spell it Caltech and not CalTech, check out their website. (Hey, Firefox's spellcheck knows which one is correct! [Big Grin] )
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, California Institute of Technology, it's late. My bad.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No worries. [Smile]
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here is a strategy I recommend.
This is spot on. I've known this strategy to work for quite a few students who suddenly got serious and wanted to transfer to a top-California State University or lower-level University of California school.

However, it takes a lot of hard work, gumption and discipline. It's real easy to get off track.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I am certain my brother-in-law somehow managed to detach himself from his parents for purposes of studen aid applications. What if you are emancipated?

I would not do that, personally, particularly not for financial gain, but to each his disown.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Huh. I am certain my brother-in-law somehow managed to detach himself from his parents for purposes of studen aid applications. What if you are emancipated?

Nope. (Though that will change in July 2009, and it used to be the case quite some time ago.)
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.