FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ridiculous... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ridiculous...
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

quote:
Jamie Lynn Spears, Britney's sister, is pregnant, the 16-year-old told OK! magazine. The father is her longtime boyfriend, Casey Aldridge, she said. "It was a shock for both of us, so unexpected," Jamie Lynn Spears, who is 12 weeks along in her pregnancy, told the magazine for its new issue, which hits stands this week.
What's going on with this family?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Teen pregnancy is not exactly an uncommon occurrence. It was bound to happen to someone famous(ish) eventually.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
True, I'm not trying to bash her decision. It's just that it happened in this particular family, after all the controversy surrounding Britney and her children. They don't have a good track record for parenting so far.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about this last night. Then this morning in our newspaper there was an interview with her from the AP, obviously printed before this story broke. She said she has a lot of "guy" friends but no serious boyfriend, and plans to attend LSU, didn't know what she wanted to major in.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Her mom is supposed to write a parenting book.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The Spears' mother was about to put out a book on parenting. It's been postponed, indefinitely.

Heh.

(Edit: or what brojack said.)

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's silly. It'll sell millions -- they just need to retitle it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Better: it was supposed to be a book on parenting from a Christian publisher.

So... what are the California laws on statutory rape, anyway? I haven't seen that brought up yet.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
True, I'm not trying to bash her decision.
I'm glad that this announcement evidently means she's not having an abortion, but I hope for her sake, just starting her life out, that she'll let the baby be adopted.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.moraloutrage.net/staticpages/index.php?page=California

If he's within three years, he's committed a misdemeanor. If he's under 18, she's committed a misdemeanor. If he's over 18, he's also liable for some civil penalties.

If he's over 3 years older than her, the crime gets worse.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
If Jamie Lynn got pregnant while only 16, in most states that would mean whoever did it to her is automatically guilty of statutory rape. It may not have been wise for her to name the father. He may wind up having to spend the rest of his life in Europe, where the laws are more lenient, and he wouldn't be thrown in jail as a sex offender.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm glad that this announcement evidently means she's not having an abortion, but I hope for her sake, just starting her life out, that she'll let the baby be adopted.
I'm not confident enough that giving it up for adoption would be the best thing for her and her child to hope for that. Presumably she and her family are aware of that option and will only do that if they feel like it's the right choice for them.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
He's nineteen.
I had a link but it didn't paste.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a good book out there explaining why role models like these shouldn't be in our media 24/7? I'd much rather read that [Razz]
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we sure it's the California laws he's subject to? She's from Louisiana, which, since she says she's been dating him since high school, I presume means he is to.

Although I suppose she could've gone to high school on the West Coast. I know Britney went to high school in Kentwood (before dropping out and making a pile of money and a truckload of bad decisions).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the location it occurred is what matters. And it looks like he would be in trouble in Louisiana, too: http://www.moraloutrage.net/staticpages/index.php?page=Louisiana
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, if he's 19 he's definitely violated the statutory statutes in Louisiana, too.

You'd think someone would have brought that up to them before they went public with the whole thing.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

After looking a little, I'm curious about 4 things:

1) What the exact age difference between the two of them is,
2) Whether or not the guy was 18 when she got pregnant,
3) What state conception took place in, and
4) Whether that state has the rules (law, statute, guideline?) that the family has to press charges in a situation like this?

Dags?

(also, would the thread starter mind changing the thread title to give some indication of what it's about?)

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
3) The state in which each sex act occurred will determine which state's law apply. It does not have to be the sex act that led to conception that is prosecuted, although evidence of the other acts will be hard to come by.

4) Technically, a prosecutor can bring a charge without the family pressing charges. Some people have to report suspected child abuse of which they are aware - teachers, doctors, etc.

Here, though, it's not immediately obvious that abuse has occurred based only on the fact of pregnancy if the state does not consider teen-teen sex to be abuse. I don't know if her announcing the father or age of the father would then trigger the duty to report.

I no little about the duty to report except that it exists. Lawyers have reporting obligations of a very different kind. Any teacher or medical professional will know more of the details.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I should state, having brought it up, that I'm not calling for the father to be prosecuted. But in any story like this where the people involved were not famous, the words "underage" and "statutory rape" would be in the first few paragraphs.

Apparently underage girls are allowed to legally consent, given sufficient fame.

Edited to add: I also don't know how old the father was at the time. If he was 18, he'd be within the 2-year spread most states have.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can tell you that in CA, unless the minor or a parent complains, that law is almost never enforced. I don't know about LA.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Do I feel bad for laughing? Well, maybe. A bit.

Naaaah.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if the Virgin Mary, er... immaculately concieved, today, God would be up on charges of statutory rape.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
0Megabyte, that would make a good short story. You should write it. I would read it.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

"Immaculate conception" does not refer to the conception of Jesus.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Dag - who cares? You obviously know exactly what I meant.

And yes, White Whale. I should. In fact, I think I'll give that one priority over the naughty stories I'm writing for my friends, and the evolution stuff I'm writing for not-nearly-so-close-or-female friends. xD

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I do. Just because people make a mistake a lot doesn't make it less of a mistake.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Dag - who cares? You obviously know exactly what I meant.
I bet there are quite a few people interested in that little tidbit of information. And, if you want to write a story on it, you might want to be one of those people.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Noemon: I was just getting a point across. It's not a big deal. Besides, I fairly doubt God cares as much about what I call it as you do.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Dag - It's not like I'm going to write it without doing a bit of research first.

It's just a phrase. That's all.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

What point were you getting across, exactly?

Did it hurt you somehow to have additional information about Catholic terminology?

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Noemon: I was just getting a point across. It's not a big deal.

It's not a big deal, but it was an inaccuracy.

quote:
Besides, I fairly doubt God cares as much about what I call it as you do.
Referencing the opinion of a deity neither of us believe in is such a compelling argument.

[Edited to remove some of the snark. Sorry about that--it's been a long day]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag- I found that very interesing. I learned something new today, which is always a good thing. Of course, I did have to go look it up to see why you objected, which took work...
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Sad that this is the main story on CNN.com right now.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
j_k,

Britney didn't flash her goodies or run over a pappo today, so they had to cover something.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish someone had just said "Immaculate conception refers to the conception of the Virgin Mary by her parents through normal sexual intercourse, and not Jesus' conception".
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about saying that, but dangit, if I had to go to wikipedia, so should everyone else. [Smile]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Not any more. I took the bullet for the rest of them.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, Launchywiggin. And note that only Catholics believe in Immaculate Conception. The doctrine arose as an attempt to explain how Jesus could have a sinless human nature, since Catholic theology teaches that Jesus took the human nature of Adam before he sinned, and the question arises how He could have obtained that from Mary. So Catholic theologians had to provide a way for Mary to have a sinless human nature. I am a post-lapsarian myself, which bypasses those difficulties, but it would be too far off topic to go into a discussion of that.

What the Holy Spirit did to Mary, as described in Luke chapter one, would more properly be termed "artificial insemination," or perhaps "genetic engineering." It was done with her consent.

I don't think there are any laws anywhere which address the artificial insemination of an underage girl. And we do not know how old Mary actually was when she became pregnant, though she was old enough to be betrothed (engaged).

[ December 20, 2007, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think there are any laws anywhere which address the artificial insemination of an underage girl.
Yeah there are. Child abuse laws, because it is considered dangerous to get a child pregnant.

But there weren't then. And technically I think "artificial insemination" is the wrong term.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
in most states that would mean whoever did it to her

This wording rubs me the wrong way, as I'm assuming she did have some choice in the matter.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
And yet, legally, it WAS done to her. That's why it's statutory rape. She's not old enough to consent.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
In some states, the age of consent is 16.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think we were talking about one of those states.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am only aware of my own state's laws, and federal laws. It's unclear to me which state's laws would apply in this case, or exactly what age she was when she got pregnant.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

She turned 16 in April. Dunno yet when the father turned 19.
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
In Ohio (my favorite state:D) the age of consent, if I'm reading it right, is 13, as long as the other person is under the age of 18.

Ohio:
quote:
Sexual assault for a person age 18 to engage in sexual conduct with a minor if the actor knows that the minor is between ages 13 and 16
But then the states in question for this case

California:
quote:
Anyone who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a person under age 18 and the actor is not more than three years older or three years younger, is guilty of a misdemeanor

Anyone who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a person under age 18 who is more than three years younger than the actor is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony

Any person 21 years of age or older who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is under 16 years of age is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony

and then Louisiana:
quote:
Felony carnal knowledge of a juvenile is sexual intercourse with consent between (1) someone age 19 or older and someone between age 12 and 17 or (2) someone age 17 or older and someone between age 12 and 15.

Misdemeanor carnal knowledge of a juvenile is sexual intercourse with consent between someone age 17 to 19 and someone age 15 to 17 when the difference in their ages is greater than two years.

and just in case you guys are wondering where I got this. Link.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
And yet, legally, it WAS done to her. That's why it's statutory rape. She's not old enough to consent.

Depending on what state they were in and how old they both were at the time, there's a chance it's not statutory rape. In fact, there's a pretty good chance it's a misdemeanor.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Woody Allen (I think it was him) wouldn't have been avoiding entering the US until the statute of limitations ran out if it were just a misdemeanor.

Anyway, I wonder what we would learn if we compared various states' statutes about unlawful sex with a minor with states that allow people to marry their first cousin. [Smile]

(Cue the dueling banjos.)

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

Just the thought that we could refer to the conception of Jesus Christ as "artificial insemination" tickles my mind. What if Mary's angel was just a human from the future who travels back in time to artificially inseminate her?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.