FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *So, what are the issues differences between Obama and Clinton?

Author Topic: *So, what are the issues differences between Obama and Clinton?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering. I made some remark about this on a political thread the other day, that I didn't really know if there is any difference between them on issues, I just find them to be at opposite ends of the personableness spectrum.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
>_< Are we still doing the So* thing? Must we?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton is in favor of the using So*, Obama opposes it. [Big Grin]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I think "So" in this case serves a purpose, in that this question isn't overly important to me, but I am curious. Without the "So," it might seem snarkier.

The asterisk is for tradition.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the real difference - other than personality and possible integrity/experience issues - is one of how we elect people.

For me Obama represents more of a grassroots, lots of small donors, kind of campaign. Clinton represents a well-oiled political machine with bigger donors who owe her (or her husband) favours.

Obama - or Edwards - seem to be to be about changing the political system. Clinton seems to be about playing the game very well.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Various political groups rank representatives on their voting records -- how much they like the rep's positions, basically. Many of them are clearly identifiable as left or right (NRA, NOW, ACLU, etc.).

H Clinton, Obama, and Edwards tend to rate around 0-5% pleasing to conservative orgnizations and 95-100% pleasing to liberal organizations. So although they may have specific issue differences, they're broadly similar. (By comparison, McCain, the most conservative of the early-2007 big 3 GOP, was I think something like 20-25% pleasing to liberals and 80% or so pleasing to conservatives.)

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the main difference between Hillary and Obama is that Hillary is white and Obama is black.

Just joking.

The main difference is that she's a woman.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more interested in the difference between "*So" and "So*". We need a Hatrack glossary.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

A few years ago there was about a dozen threads on the front page that started with "So" or "Well". Then we had a thread asking whether all those so's and wells were necessary, and that's where the asterisk was born.

I wouldn't say my "So" is necessary, but I was hoping it would convey a tone of casual interest.

But I guess it is a bit slangy, to the degree that slang passes here.

rivka
Member # 4859

I could not care less if the word "So" appears in a thread title. The asterisk was cute initially, but now it's just freaking annoying.

(And if you MUST do it, it was originally "So*" not "*So". [Razz] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
How do I feel about the choice between Clinton and Obama?

**So-so**

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
There asterix was usually there because the poster had some sort of postscript or footnote at the bottom of the OP to explain why they put the So* (Hopefully humorously) or to crack a joke at someon
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe pooka was the first to put an asterisk after "So," and it led to a note commenting on the fact that a lot of threads start with "So." Then people thought it was cute, and now it's some sort of zombie meme that won't die, now matter how many times you blast it with a shotgun.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather see the forum peppered with "So*"s than with Dobies.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't understand is the opposition to Hatrack having it's own memes and traditions. I like it when I use a meme from another forum and someone recognizes it. Someone once pegged me as an old timey usenetter because I used the term "Cow-orker." I thought that was cool.

Back to the original question, I'm curious for some policy answers. How ARE Obama and Hillary different? What policies would they impliment differently?

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
When I see/hear cow-orker, I think of Scott Adams and the Dilbert Newsletter. I thought he coined that and would have assumed you got it from him.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. did he use it prior to 1990? That's when I first saw it on Usenet.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
What I don't understand is the opposition to Hatrack having it's own memes and traditions.

I've never seen someone oppose memes and traditions in general.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I dunno. did he use it prior to 1990? That's when I first saw it on Usenet.

Probably not. I think I first saw/heard it in the late '90's.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
I believe pooka was the first to put an asterisk after "So," and it led to a note commenting on the fact that a lot of threads start with "So." Then people thought it was cute, and now it's some sort of zombie meme that won't die, now matter how many times you blast it with a shotgun.

Exactly.

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I'd rather see the forum peppered with "So*"s than with Dobies.

Not me. The occasional Dobie is funny.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the big ones, to my mind, is that Obama has been consistent on his feelings regarding Iraq, whereas Clinton seems to be hedging her bets in the hope of not alienating a few swing voters.

(Just admit it was a mistake, already!)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.