FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Kidney You Not. (Now With Completed Donation!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I Kidney You Not. (Now With Completed Donation!)
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I will remember you in my prayers.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry that things have been rough so far. I hope the donor works out this time.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
You will definitely be in my prayers BlackBlade. I lost my fiancee to kidney disease, it's much more widespread than most people think. I wish you and your family the very best in this trying time man. [Frown]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
You are most definately in my prayers. The emotional ups and downs of transplant can be quite awful. Hang on to your faith and the collective faith of those praying for you.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally some good news! As I mentioned before my cousin tested to see if he could donate one of his kidneys to Rebecca, but upon review by the hospital board it was decided that since his kidneys hookup differently than Rebecca's it would be too risky to take one. We forwarded their findings to Stanford's hospital on a tip from a friend. Their staff contacted us and they feel confident that they can work around the problem, so they've agreed to pen Rebecca into their schedule!

Rebecca and my cousin should be heading to San Fransisco sometime in May, probably the first week.

On a tangent I was worried that Stanford would not be in network for my parent's insurance, turns out that it is, and that the University of Utah is NOT. It's seems kinda warped that I am grateful that my parent's insurance is performing the function for which it advertises.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Great news, Blackblade, both about Stanford being able to work around the incompatibility and about the insurance covering it! [Smile]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Great news! I'm happy that things have turned around for the better for you! [Smile] Good luck with everything! Stanford was the hospital my fiancee received her care for the most part, and I was very impressed. I hope the surgery is a complete success.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for keeping us in the loop -- excellent news!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
That's excellent news! Yay!
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool] I hope all goes well.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! I'm so happy for you and your family.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeay!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great Blackblade! I hope the surgery goes well.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Continued healing thoughts and good wishes. I hope you post the date when it becomes available so we can all go into overdrive focus mode [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well last night, the family fragments that are here all went out to dinner for my birthday as it seemed they would be leaving just before my real birthday next week. We got back and were enjoying the wonderful feeling of Indian food digesting while watching Romeo and Juliet. We barely got by Mercutio's monologue about Queen Mab when the phone rang, it was the University of Utah. Turns out a young person had died and their kidney checked out as a very good match for Rebecca and that they were flying it here that night. My mom freaked out not knowing what to do and after talking to Rebecca's physician she decided to go for it, down the road at least we know my cousin's kidney is there.

I barely had enough time to give Rebecca a priesthood blessing and then, like a whirlwind, my mom and Rebecca were out the door, heading off into the night.

I haven't been called since then, but the hospital said they would be done prepping Rebecca and testing the kidney by 5am today, and so Rebecca is likely under the knife right now. I can't believe I have to go to my math final today when I am so gittery; both about the surgery and my test.

I just want this all to be over, but at the same time I am so surprised things turned out this way. I was getting ready to see my sister off to San Fransisco and expecting to not see her for about 5 weeks, and now THIS!

I'm going to the hospital today after work/finals, fingers need to be in the upright and crossed positions folks.

[Smile]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
All the good vibes I can spare will be directed towards you and your family.
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great that a donor organ suddenly became available (although sad for the family of the donor, of course). Keep us posted on how it goes (and good luck with the test).

So what's involved in giving a priesthood blessing, and who can give it?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*hopeful*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Do well on your final!! I hope everything will go well with the surgery!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Update. Rebecca has JUST completed surgery and so far it looks good, let's hope the kidney turns on. As far as we were permitted to know by the hospital, the kidney comes from a teenager about Rebecca's age, and has 6 of 6 matching antigens, so you couldn't ask for a better match.

I'm picking my father up from the airport tonight as he dropped everything he was doing in Japan and took the first flight here.

On a math related request, I am mad that I can't solve a problem when I know it's very easy once I get started. I just can't visualize how the problem looks on paper. If one person takes 4.5 hours to complete a task and another takes 6 hours, how long will that same task take if they work together?

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
That's great that a donor organ suddenly became available (although sad for the family of the donor, of course). Keep us posted on how it goes (and good luck with the test).

So what's involved in giving a priesthood blessing, and who can give it?

Briefly it is more or less the same affair as described by James in the New Testament.

The officiator lays their hands on the head of the recipient, offers the blessing in the name of Christ and by the authority of the priesthood, pronounces whatever guidance and blessings they feel moved upon to state, closes and that's that.

It was a wonderful experience.

As for who can give them, for me it's not totally fleshed out. All men ordained to the priesthood can give priesthood blessings so long as they are worthy, (keep specific commandments that ensure communion with God) If there are none around, women have been known give blessings by the laying on of hands as well.

rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck to Rebecca!

The math problem is a combined labor problem.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Thank you so much for link Rivka!

And to all you hatrackers who kept Rebecca in your prayers and thoughts, as well as those who offered encouragement and support, thanks so much.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
This is awesome news!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade, I'm so glad things for you and Rebecca. Its sad that a teenager died, but quite wonderful that your sisters healing could come out of the tragedy.

Also, Go talk to your Math instructor right now about the final. Don't wait until the scores come back. Tell him/her your sister was having emergency kidney replacement surgery right when you were taking the final and that as a result you don't think you were able to perform to your ability.

Most professors would be willing to grant you an accommodation under such circumstances such as allowing you to retake the final or even agreeing to base your grade on the pre-final material. Like I said, make sure you go to him now. Then when he is compiling grades s/he will look to see whether or not your final grade is significantly lower than your previous work. Don't wait on this.

You may want to do the same thing with your other classes that have finals this week. Like I said most professors are reasonable people who want their students to do well. If you communicate with the about what's going on it will help.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

The Rabbit: Thanks for the suggestion, the teacher gave me an additional 1.5 hours to take the final, which was definitely better than nothing. I was still jittery the whole time, but I think I got as good a grade as I could have possible received.

Well I'm off to the airport, and then the hospital.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad it went well. Your family and that of the donor are in my prayers. I think it's wonderful when people donate organs under such tragic, difficult circumstances, to strangers, it's just a beautiful thing.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.