FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Something I've put on my Xmas list for years and never recieved ...

Author Topic: Something I've put on my Xmas list for years and never recieved ...
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
is a cloak. I want a cloak. I'm thinking something along the lines of the cloaks the fellowship got from Lothlorien, but I'd settle for something more high class. It needs to have a hood and be able to cover me completely.

And I'm not just spouting off here. Does anyone know where I could conceivably find one (for cheap)? Or where I could find a sewing pattern for one?

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you get any more high class than a cloak from Galadriel herself?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Really!

My best advice is make one or have it made. Good ones are very, very expensive for good reason. It takes a lot of material to make a cloak, and if you want one that will hold up after repeated washings then you'll need good fabric and good fabric normally does not come cheap.

Best idea is scout out fabric stores, find a fabric you love, (hopefully on sale) and then buy the yardage. If you can't sew, find a local seamstress.

I've been meaning to make myself one too, but have never found a fabric I love enough.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:

Very true. When I said high class I meant instead of the rustic, woodland look more of a Count Dracula type look. But I'd prefer the rustic one.

How hard would it be to make one? I'm not completely inept at sewing, though I'm very out of practice and don't have a machine or anything.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be insane done by hand. We're talking seams that are nearly six feet long (knowing your height) on stiff thick fabric.

I'd help you if I lived close.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, you need to look at fabric prices. I'm thinking you'd probably need at least 4 yards of fabric (this site says 4-5 yards)

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Things/FCloak/FCloak_pattern.htm

It depends on the kind of fabric but good quality fabric can easily cost 7-10/yard, so you are looking at probably at least $30-$40 in fabric alone (and quite likely more)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember the name of that creepy catalogue that I get once a year with cloaks and sundry items that don't fit real well with my lifestyle. But I'm pretty sure that if you can buy a cloak for under $150.00, you will be ahead of hiring it done.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a cloak at a renaissance faire. The business card says "Cloaked in Time" with e-mail address janus and then has cwo.com after it. I think it was $190, but very nice. Ask for Patti. Also tell her to get a website already. Send her to iselect.net for that.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in high school, my friends and I had a cloak-making party. We had very simple patterns and I bought really cheap black fabric (and it still cost $25 or so). You can probably find patterns online if you google for them. Here's one: http://www.halloweenonlinemagazine.com/makeup/cloak1-1.html
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Did I get to see your cloak, Shigosei? I think I did, and it was fabulous.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a full-length black velvet cloak lined in satin, with a hood.

That is all.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Cloaks were the most massively useful item of clothing ever, at one time. I have something similar to that from the modern day, I have a real woolen poncho from Guatemala. It's got little sticks and stuff woven into it in places so you can tell it was woven outdoors. It's got a Quetzal bird on the front and back. It's very warm. Also rather itchy so I have to be careful to wear something soft underneath that protects my skin from it. And when it gets damp it smells funky like some unknown animal. I love it!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Cloaks can be a huge range of prices, depending on the fabric. My husband didn't want lined, and wanted a bit coarser material. I got some black rayon canvas (I think) and then to make it seem a bit wealthier some gold ribbon. I think total it will cost me maybe $25, plus my time to sew it. Sewing is pretty simple and I am not a seamstress. I started sewing less than a year ago.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Something like this?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Or these?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've made two from free online patterns/directions (with some tweaking) and they've turned out great. Now is a great time to hit sales at the fabric store, I have found washable wool 75% off this time of year in myriad cloak-appropriate colors.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love the red-satin-lined Dracula cloak I had as part of my Halloween costume when I was little. I used to put it on and...think I was awesome. For years I wanted to wear it in public for fun. However...there's not much chance for a boy in the rural South, small for his age, to survive getting caught doing that.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

If you do buy a pattern, you should be able to get it for around $2, ideally $1. Patterns go on sale all the time at most fabric stores. I had some one try to convince me that I should come buy patterns cause they were on sale for 40% off. Ifyou are looking at one for $10, 40% is still $6, which is still more than I pay. My sister in law pays full price for her patterns (and the crazy thing is she doesn't even sew and hasn't used it so it wasn't one of those emergency, can't wait for the pattern sale in 2 weeks).
For what might be a cape (though I am thinking a peasant skirt might be nice too), I am using fabric that was intended for curtains, so check all the sections in the fabric store. Also, I hate to do this, but Walmart has cheap fabric. Also, check in the red tag section of fabric store. Near holidays, the red tag at Joann's is an additional 50% off, so you can get some great deals there.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I do love Wal-Mart for notions and such, I do NOT buy fabric there. Their fabric is of noticeably poorer quality. If you want a costume cloak, sure. But if you want to wear it everyday, got a quality fabric.

kq, how has the washable wool help up for you? I've thought of getting some, but been hesitant. Is shrinkage really bad?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out The Pyramid Collection.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

I would mostly agree about the Walmart quality fabric, but every once in a while, they have somehing nice. Of course, my husband's cloak fabric was not purchased there, or 90% of the baby clothes fabric, but still, every once in a while, it happens. It also depends on your Walmart. My mom cannot believe it when I show her the fabrics I have gotten for under $2. We went to her walmart and there was nothing useful at all.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I made it for someone else with that (cloak, skirt, and hood that time.) I washed it on warm (it said to use cold) and put it in the dryer on high and I still only lost half a yard of 10 yards (I had bought extra to account for shrinkage.) The friend I made it for said that she didn't have any more shrinkage after that. So it didn't seem to have a problem once prewashing was done, and it's nearly waterproof.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.