FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Daily Show and Colbert are back on the air!

Author Topic: Daily Show and Colbert are back on the air!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Or rather they will be on January 7th.

They'll be coming back writerless, unless the strike ends in the next two weeks, but they're coming back.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I've got mixed feelings about that.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to it, for curiosity. It'll be interesting to see the quality of things.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha. I hope they come back without writers... if only to see if things get less funny, more opinionated, or what. hm. Interesting.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
What if it gets funnier?
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Then the writers will really be out of luck.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Colbert and Stewart are both members of the WGA. I'm surprised that they've agreed to go back on the air without the dispute being settled. Even if they're ad-libbing their stuff rather than "writing" it, it seems like toeing a pretty fine line.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They aren't just WGA members. They're also showrunners, and so long as they refuse to do their show, a lot of people other than just writers are out of work, and for circumstances they have no control over. They aren't forcing the writers to do anything, but the writers are screwing over a lot of people that are innocent bystanders. Don't get me wrong, I think the writers have a legitimate beef, but that doesn't remove the fallout.

I wonder if Colbert and Stewart will coordinate more than often to help each other write material, or if they will simply spend more time interviewing guests? Either way, I have faith that they'll do okay.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Why should the writers care about what happens to the so-called 'innocent bystanders'?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Cuz they'll still be working with them. Cuz they don't want to hurt anyone unnecessarily. Cuz they have a lot more in common with the below-the-line workers than they do with the studio heads. Cuz the writers are smart enough to know that the success of a show or movie depends on everyone in the process, most definitely including the BTL workers.

The writers are not screwing anyone over, The strike is causing a lot of hardship, but it could be ended as soon as the two sides come to an agreement. Any blame for people being out of work needs to be applied to both sides, and personally I'd tend to load more blame on the side that keeps walking away from negotiating to end the strike.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Tonight's the night!
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Already got the dvr set to record.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd watch it, but the College Football National Championship game is about to start.

Yay Bucks!

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you insane?! Colbert+Stewart>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Football.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
From the link:
quote:
In a joint statement, Stewart and Colbert said: "We would like to return to work with our writers. If we cannot, we would like to express our ambivalence, but without our writers we are unable to express something as nuanced as ambivalence."
[ROFL]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zhil
Member # 10504

- posted      Profile for Zhil           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Colbert had to physically stand up and go to the audience and force them to sit down so he can start his show. They were clapping and screaming like He was Jesus returned. [Big Grin]

Stewart was okay, but Colbert was on fire!! Yay for them returning.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Colbert did seem to have more fire than Stewart. Were they really riffing most of that with no script? I mean, they can't even write their OWN scripts? Makes Colbert's show even more impressive despite the little clip show to kill time.

Stewart was good, but other than the jocularity over the writer's strike, he totally avoided all the stuff we like best, namely, the political jokes. Doing it without the correspondents is going to hard, but skipping all the stuff we love the best is going to be harder.

And I KNEW Colbert would go right for the Huckabee thing.

Maybe I didn't realize quite how hard it'd be without the writers, but to be honest, I'm not going to watch Stewart every night if it's all like how last night was. Maybe not Stephen either. I'll watch this week to see.

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
He should try to get himself a spot as Huckabee's running mate. :-D.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well Huckabee offered it. Maybe in more than jest? [Wink]

A smart, devoted Christian from a southern state and lots of youth support. I don't know, he might just have something.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Entertainment Weekly pretty much summed up my feelings on the shows last night.

I hate to say it, because I feel like I'm betraying Jon, but Stephen was a lot better last night. Might've just been the circumstances, we'll see this week.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very confused, it seems like I did not see the same episode you are all talking about, I'm trying to figure out if I saw just a rerun.

Last night's episode that I saw had interviews X 2, Mike Huckabee and an author of some book about how the internet is destroying culture.

And he talked extensively about the Iowa Straw Poll and Huckabees political attack ad that he didn't air but played for journalists.

[ January 08, 2008, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Huckabee wasn't a guest last night that I remember. But the attack ad that he didn't air (actually he DID air it four times) but showed to journalists was during the dead air time when they were off the air...

I don't know.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Jon was a bit annoyed that the attempts for a Daily Show/Colbert Report/WGA deal a la Letterman's didn't go through, despite the fact that Letterman owns his company and can make deals like that.

I foresee lots of clips -- the guys finding and editing clips aren't WGA -- with Jon and Stephen improvising about them, and lots of long interviews.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.