FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "It's just tacky."

Author Topic: "It's just tacky."
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
"The decorations were for people to enjoy, but I guess it didn't happen like we had hoped."

Lots of homes in my neighborhood have elaborate, eye-popping holiday displays. And yet, we haven't had much trouble. I wonder if it's a regional thing?

Edit: Not saying that I consider elaborate decorations innately tacky. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I never cared to decorate for Christmas. I'm kind of the fuddy-duddy of the family. I agree that the huge displays seem like an awful waste of money.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell what that little red smilie guy means. Is he singing Christmas carols? [ROFL]
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, Christmas decorations are one of my favorite things about this time of year. I can see why some of the side effects would be a pain for the neighbors, but the decorations themselves are something I really like.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I just read the article. That can't be real.

People stabbing blow-up Santas? A woman comparing fallen Joseph and Mary figurines to drive-by shooting victims? Somebody named "Mr. McDilda" worrying about people seeing him while he's changing clothes? Come on. [ROFL]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
The video is awesome,though.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was a reference to the Buffy episode "Fear, Itself."

"Who's a little Fear Demon? Come on, who's a little Fear Demon?"

"Xander, don't taunt the Fear Demon?"

*Xander steps back* "Why, can he hurt me?"

"No, it's just, tacky."

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I always get a kick out of seeing neighborhood nativity scenes with all the characters knocked over; I always refer to them as a "Jonestown nativity scene".

On a semi-related note: two weeks ago, on a Saturday, I put up the Christmas lights on my house. Next Sunday morning I got a notice from my neighborhood association that they were going to pressure clean and paint the buildings, and I had to take all of them down. [Mad]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

That is one clueless person that planned that for December. Did you complain? Surely you weren't the only one in the holiday spirit this year.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one who likes the Christmas lights, and the tackier the better. I'm like a kid at Christmastime (really all the time) and I see wondrous beauty, not tackiness. But loud music would be bad, I agree.

http://tackychristmasyards.com/ Many of those do look ugly but a few of them I really like. Why do pplz gotta h8 @ Christmastime? [Big Grin]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, I thought the exact same thing.

That was my first episode of Buffy, and that was the line that made me love it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
My boss's brother has a pretty amazing light display. Matter of fact, they won the KFC Festive Fanatic award.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
That is awesome!
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really have a problem with elaborately decorated homes, although I do agree that they can be tacky sometimes. Even traffic problems I would deal with as long as the displays were up for a reasonable period of time, say from Black Friday to New Year's. Loud music would really annoy me, though. I keep the volume down when I'm playing weird stuff at 3 AM all year, and that's inside my apartment, so have the common courtesy to not play inane Christmas music loud enough that I can hear it through my (quite thin) walls. One should be able to escape the Christmas music in one's own home. I like traditional Christmas carols with a choir and orchestra, but the easy-listening crap every f-ing retail store plays from October to January drives me crazy.

My own family doesn't really decorate the outside much, but my mom gets more stuff for the inside every year. I like it that way; less work to put up and take down and you can see it more often.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.