FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone ever -bought- DDR?

Author Topic: Anyone ever -bought- DDR?
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really love to buy this game and I've been looking around the internet...But I've gotten really confused.

Circuit City says it sells the "DDR DVD game" for about $30. I guess that doesn't include the mats.
But most other websites seem to say it needs a Nintendo/Play station/whatever, which I don't have.

I was surprised and suspicious when I saw it for only $30...So is that legit? And can I seriously just play it in my DVD player?

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
We bought the playstation version and bought a playstation solely to use with DDR. I don't know about the DVD game though.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

How much was that?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure I've bought DDR. Oh, that DDR. Never mind. [Razz]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Playstation 2 solely for DDR too. You can get them used/refurbished at almost any EB Games store for about $100. (If you have EB Games there, I guess). The game was about $60 on top of that with the mats and everything. It's been completely worth it for the number of hours I've spent playing it with people.

I looked up the one on Circuit City's website though, and it says it does come with 2 mats. If you don't want to spend a lot, it looks like a good deal to me. They're a reputable company you can return things to easily, I presume? I had a friend who bought a cheap DDR DVD game from an online company, and it didn't work, and it was a nightmare to return. She wound up losing $70 and not getting a game.

The only downside to this version would be that you only get 30 songs, which you'll tire of if you know you're going to play it a whole lot. The Playstation DDR comes with about 70 or so you can 'unlock' as you play.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep reading this as PDR.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I just read the reviews on the Circuit City page, and one review says that the mats they give you don't plug in and are not connected to the game. So, basically, you're dancing on a mat in front of the TV, and there's no interaction whatsoever between your feet and the TV.

If that's true, it takes away most of the fun of it, in my opinion. You might as well put on a CD you like and dance in the living room to that instead.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

quote:
Originally posted by Astaril:
Hmm. I just read the reviews on the Circuit City page, and one review says that the mats they give you don't plug in and are not connected to the game. So, basically, you're dancing on a mat in front of the TV, and there's no interaction whatsoever between your feet and the TV.

If that's true, it takes away most of the fun of it, in my opinion. You might as well put on a CD you like and dance in the living room to that instead.

Yeah I read that review too but I didn't know what they were talking about...Thanks for clarifying. I knew there was a catch...
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, a subject on which I can actually qualify as something of an expert!...

There are a *lot* of options out there for playing DDR.

There used to be a PC version of the game, believe it or not. We got our copy from Fry's website; unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available there anymore. That said, there's at least a three PC DDR-alikes out there, including the freeware Stepmania, the Veggie Tales-based Dance, Dance, Dance, and (eugh) Britney's Dance Beat. Some of these games come with controllers packed in (notably the Veggie Tales one); the Stepmania site has links to places to acquire dance controllers for a PC, and depending on the route you want to go you can either get a converter to make a Playstation dancepad controller talk to a PC or a USB-native dancepad like the one I found at Best Buy.

If playing in front of a PC is unattractive for whatever reason (space in front of the computer, room size, etc.) there are several other options.

Target, Amazon, and other places have begun to sell DDR-specific units; dance pads you simply plug directly into a television. While an inexpensive choice (I've seen them on sale for under $20), they're aimed at the under-10 set, and neither the graphics nor the sound is likely to impress anyone else. The music is kind've on the level of what one heard coming out of cell phones five years ago, to give an idea. I've seen Stawberry Shortcake, Disney, and "My First" variations of this set. There are also unauthorized, mostly Chinese-made pads along the same lines; from what I've seen, the same caveats apply.

There's the DVD version you mention, but I should warn that my understanding is that there's no actual connection between the DVD player and the pad; in other words, you're just bouncing around on a piece of cloth to steps indicated on the DVD player, with no one but yourself to know if you're actually keeping time. On the other hand, the music and visuals are bound to be a lot better than the plug-in sets I mentioned previously.

That said, as mentioned, one can get a PS2 quite cheaply these days. If DDR is the only game one wishes to play, a Playstation 1 is also an option. One can pick up the PS1 and a PS1 version of the game on Amazon right now for a total of about $46.

Hope that's some help!

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

Thanks a lot, that's really helpful. Grrr, so complicated!
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
There's the DVD version you mention, but I should warn that my understanding is that there's no actual connection between the DVD player and the pad; in other words, you're just bouncing around on a piece of cloth to steps indicated on the DVD player, with no one but yourself to know if you're actually keeping time.

I doubt that. I bought my kids a DDR-type game that doesn't need a PS2 or a TV. (I'm not recommending it to you, just pointing out that it exists.) At the end of a song, it tells you your score by means of a console with lights connected to the mat. I haven't examined the DVD game, but I would bet that, if it doesn't give feedback to the DVD player, it probably does something similar.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:
There's the DVD version you mention, but I should warn that my understanding is that there's no actual connection between the DVD player and the pad; in other words, you're just bouncing around on a piece of cloth to steps indicated on the DVD player, with no one but yourself to know if you're actually keeping time.

I doubt that. I bought my kids a DDR-type game that doesn't need a PS2 or a TV. (I'm not recommending it to you, just pointing out that it exists.) At the end of a song, it tells you your score by means of a console with lights connected to the mat. I haven't examined the DVD game, but I would bet that, if it doesn't give feedback to the DVD player, it probably does something similar.
Ah, no.

From the first review at Amazon of "Dance Dance Revolution DVD Game":

quote:
The 2 mats that go with this game do NOT attach to anything that scores you - they just go on the floor by themselves.
I've seen products like the one you got for your kids in stores, but not demoed. How's the music quality?
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There used to be a PC version of the game, believe it or not. We got our copy from Fry's website; unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available there anymore. That said, there's at least a three PC DDR-alikes out there, including the freeware Stepmania, the Veggie Tales-based Dance, Dance, Dance, and (eugh) Britney's Dance Beat. Some of these games come with controllers packed in (notably the Veggie Tales one); the Stepmania site has links to places to acquire dance controllers for a PC, and depending on the route you want to go you can either get a converter to make a Playstation dancepad controller talk to a PC or a USB-native dancepad like the one I found at Best Buy.

There's also FlashFlashRevolution. However, you use your fingers instead of your legs so it kind of defeats the purpose.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
AoD recommends StepMania, as seen on Sterling's post!
Now you too can dance to over 500 songs available from the different StepMania packages online made by people all over the world.
Once you tire of them, no worries! You can just create your own dance sequences to music from YOUR library!
There's USB dance mats available everywhere at a decent price too. Out of all the options, this is probably the most versatile, economic and overall best.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
StepMania sounds cool.
I need exercise, so I was thinking of getting DDR or something similar.

Then I saw this while googling Stepmania: FPGameRunner
http://www.everythingusb.com/news/index/5445.htm

It's a treadmill with handlebars and buttons to play FPS and other video games. It would be sweeeet! :drools:

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I stand corrected, then.

quote:
I've seen products like the one you got for your kids in stores, but not demoed. How's the music quality?

No idea. They haven't unwrapped it yet. It's probably crap, but it has High School Musical on it, and they're not too discerning beyond that. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
On Amazon, I got the DDR bundled package for the Wii, with the dance pad, for $70. Here's the link.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*blink*

You can't hook up a DVD player to your TV, but you have a Wii?!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.