FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Christmas is an anti-christian holiday (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Christmas is an anti-christian holiday
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sala:
ElJay, my family fondues too! I have never heard of another family that does that. It's our yearly tradition, the only time the fondue pots come out.
~Sala

Fondue is more of a new years eve dinner tradition in my family.

But then again, why limit that wonderful meal to once a year?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
"Fondue" is a verb?! What exactly are you talking about anyway?
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
For us, its pots of oil with little forks of meat stuck in to cook, and five different sauces to dip the cooked meat in to. Plus a baked potato to eat while you wait, and various other salads if desired. It's a nice, slow meal that encourages interaction among the participants because you have to wait for the meat to cook. No just "eat and go", which tends to happen with the younger folk in the family.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't posted much, but I've lurked and read this forum for what seems to be forever, at least since 2000, if not before.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Aha, got it. It's usually done with melted cheese here but the concept is the same. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Both are fairly common in the US, I think (to the degree that it's a common practice; in my head I tend to associate it with the 70s). Molten chocolate is also sometimes used.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! Dag and Alt - I got back on here for the first time in a couple days and checked this thread to see if anyone had responded to my post ... When I saw your quotes, I panicked because thats a phrase I say a lot. For some reason I seem to be attracted to being in the minority. I had to read through the whole thread again to see who you were quoting. [Razz]

Back on topic ... [Wink] Has anyone ever been to The Melting Pot? I assume they have them outside of Florida. A bit pricey, but amazing fondue.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The original Melting Pot location is here in Orlando.

I've been to over a dozen different Melting Pots, in four different states.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just using the Melting Pot in a fondue explanation to a coworker, and another coworker told us they aren't any good anymore. Her bread tasted like cardboard, and the cheese was lousy. Maybe it's just our local one, but it made me very sad.

I like starting with the cheese course, dipping the meat in the oil to cook and finishing it with the Green Goddess sauce, and stuffing myself with chocolate bananas until I'm ready to explode. [Smile] Mmmm, fondue.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been to one, although there is one here in town, and I hear it is a pretty good one.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
I was just using the Melting Pot in a fondue explanation to a coworker, and another coworker told us they aren't any good anymore.

Sounds like s/he had a bad experience. It happens at any restaurant. It has happened to me at Melting Pot, but I would strongly disagree with the characterization that they're no good anymore.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
We went to the Melting Pot on Saturday.

You pay for the experience, not the food. The food is really mediocre. (I've been four times-- twice with just myself and M, and twice with large groups of family)

If you go, I suggest ordering the cheese course and the dessert course only. Have a main course somewhere else.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.