FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What did you GIVE for Christmas (or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or . . .)?

Author Topic: What did you GIVE for Christmas (or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or . . .)?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not the best gift-giver in the world, but I had fun this year on a limited budget.

My brother (the history buff, esp. Civil War): I gave him a book I found it at BJs called A Team of Rivals, The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. And a framed photo of both of us taken a year ago. Both were hits.

My SIL: a wooden nativity set that I really liked, and a set of marinade/BBQ sauces with an Asian flare.

My mom: An electric massage mat that can be used on a bed or recliner (it's kinda bizarre--not what I was expecting. As my brother put it when he tried it out, "It feels like I'm on a plane." And when mom upped the massage vibrations, "That's about to crash.") But Mom likes it, or else is doing a great job of acting like an appreciative mom! ;-) I also got her a certificate for suet at the local bird-watching store; sounds like an odd gift, I know, but she used to put it out every winter for the birds on our deck, but feels that she can't afford it anymore. And some other little stocking-stuffers.

My friend/business partner: A certificate to spa for a massage.

And they all treated me very well, indeed. My favorite present? Probably the two gift certificates to Barnes and Noble I received from two different friends.

[ December 26, 2007, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Uprooted ]

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad, my step-mom, my sister, my brother-in-law, my niece and nephew: CHOCOLATE!

my uncle, my other uncle, my grandma: cashews and peanuts

my mom: a book of poetry and drawings by me

everyone else: hugs [Smile]

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
A digital frame for my mother-in-law. It was a hit.

One of those room dividers with the multiple picture frames in them for my mother. Another hit.

Trampoline for the kids. Big hit.

Blown up photo of grandmother-in-law and all the family at her 75th birthday party. Big hit.

It was a great Christmas.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Tara: Chocolate=good. [Wink]

brojack: What's a digital frame? I'm imagining the kids bouncing on the trampoline. How fun!!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I got my dad a fully-loaded digital photo frame, which was an idea I stole from Icarus.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Tara: Chocolate=good. [Wink]

brojack: What's a digital frame? I'm imagining the kids bouncing on the trampoline. How fun!!

Up

Here are some examples. We got an 8" frame the day after Thanksgiving for $50. Before that, they were around $100 for an 8" one. Now you can get them for about $65 every day. They are a great way to display digital pictures.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
My younger sister and I were in cahoots for a couple of gifts; A cell phone for our mother, and a snowboard set up for our oldest niece consisting of used bindings and board, new boots and goggles.

My older sister, her husband and my younger niece received Harry Potter: Oder le Phoenix, Rata.. er Rato... whatever that Pixar movie is, and Robin Hood: Most wanted edition.

For my younger sister and her boyfriend it was some Bad Donkey [Wink] Kona Beans and Lego Star Wars for the Wii.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We gave everyone tote bags decorated with iron-on transfers made from scans of drawings Emma did for each person individually (with the picture inside and a description on the back so they know what the picture is of and that it was made specifically for each person.) We were going to do something else, but at the last minute it didn't work out in time, so we're saving that one for next year.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I gave scarves, a series of cute buttons and notepads, a Blue Planet & Planet Earth combo box set, two iPod Nanos, two copies of FFXII: Revenant Wings, a copy of Halo 3, and several food gift baskets.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by calaban:

My older sister, her husband and my younger niece received Harry Potter: Oder le Phoenix, Rata.. er Rato... whatever that Pixar movie is, and Robin Hood: Most wanted edition.
\

RATATOUILLE!
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! that one.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave Sophie lots of stuff. Too much to list. Because I'm a bad parent.

One family grab-bag got Season 2 of Futurama; the other got a 3D puzzle and puzzle mat. My sister-in-law received a doggie frisbee, some model rockets, and a card game. My brother got a collection of about ten of my favorite genre novels, all purchased from used book stores but in good shape. And I bought Christy a glass teapot, two matching Bodum glasses, about fifteen flowering teas, and The Thirteenth Tale, which I haven't read myself but which should be up her alley.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I gave my dad a coffee mug (that broke in the mail [Frown] ), photo prints for my mom from my cruise, a portable air hockey set for my nephew, a book called How to Win a Fight with a Conservative for one of my friends, a deep fryer and candy cane shot glasses for my boyfriend, a necklace and a bath bomb for one of my good friends [Smile] , CDs for another friend, and a book and DVD about Japanese graffiti for my boyfriend's roommate.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I gave my sister a nice, non stick cast iron skillet, my mom got a set of new cookie tins. My dad... I'm opening a certain type of bank account that takes out $50 every month from my regular checking account and deposits it into an account I can't access until it's saved up $500.

My best friend Erin got Aladdin, my friend Shannon gets a nice swarovski crystal set in sterling silver bracelet that I found on sale, Shannon's three year old daughter gets a giant stuffed unicorn, my friend Jen got a penguin toy that waddles and squawks, HER four year old daughter got a $20 gift card to Toys R Us, My friend Desi gets some jewelry she requested, and Ashley gets a Bath and Body Works gift card.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a what I gave my family members:

My mom - A brand new sewing machine (it was a bit expensive, so us kids split the cost between us).

My dad - Two levels (one easily attaches to surfaces and holds it there, the other is designed to help mark lines on walls and drill holes), a $10 Home Depot gift card, and a $10 Barnes and Noble giftcard. This was split among us kids as well (since my dad gets on us if we each spend more than X amount on him).

My brother - Two nice dress shirts (a pink Nautica one and a blue Perry Ellis one). I cheated a bit as it was about a $40 gift, but I got $10 back with a coupon. [Razz]

My sister - Finding Nemo DVD, Finding Nemo game for Gamecube (what can I say, she's a Finding Nemo fan), and a $10 gift card to American Eagle. She was a happy kid.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We gave John a set of rainbow playsilks, which he is having a great time with, and an XO laptop, which he also loves. We got the laptop through the "give one get one" program of the One Laptop Per Child project, so we also gave one to a child in a developing nation.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my wife tickets for the forthcoming Police concert in Bilbao and the Bladerunner super-mega-ultra-definiately-the-last-directors-final-final-yes-that-is-final cut version in the funky briefcase with the origami unidcorn and model police car.

The best thing is I get to play with it too [Wink]

The Toddling_Tornado got a guitar. He's only two and a half, but he goes crazy playing my guitars that we bought him one for his very own. You never know...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
For the Family White Elephant gift, I gave a copy of Firewall and a copy of Care Bears' Holiday Hugs - the idea being that no matter who got it, they would be a little bit happy and a little bit sad. *grin*

For my grandparents, we got them a digital frame with pictures from their children. They didn't care and raved about my cousin's present to them for ten minutes instead. My grandparents don't always have the best family social skills. *sigh*

I can't say the others because I'm not done distributing gifts and at least one recipient might read this.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Mom got a nice brown leather purse.

Dad got a Duke necktie, because he likes showing off his kids, and that's a slightly more tasteful way to do it. [Smile]

My sister got some barrettes, and a couple of Duke shirts, but the highlight of those was a Duke Football shirt, which provoked unceasing laughter. I just hope she wears it. [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Mum - Star Trek TOS season 2 on DVD and the complete Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

Dad - Bath stuff and posh stationary.

Everyone else got chocolate and gloves.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Mom- slipper socks, a Harry Potter Time Turner, a light up "crop circle" pendant

Dad- York Peppermint Patties hommade heart shaped cakes

Brother- pump action long lasting flashlight

Sister in Law- 36 pack of multi-colored sharpy markers

Nephew 10 yr old- clay, paint, brushes

Nephew 7 yr old- plant growing kit

Nephew 2 yr old- quacking plush duck

the cast and crew of A Christmas Carol: Scrooge and Marley- ornaments

My minister- 2 Christmas ties

My son- pajamas, shoes with wheels, lego spaceships, How To Find Flower Fairies (book), Felt Wee Folk (book), The Last Dragon (book), homemade space station and landing pad.

Stormy Cat- stocking full of cat toys

Chloe Cat- bowl of heavy cream

Santa- Cookie and HiC orange lava juice

Reindeer- Carrots and lettuce

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Our cats got piles of shiny paper and open boxes to explore.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.