FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » That's just cruel...

Author Topic: That's just cruel...
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was looking at a friend's MySpace profile, and on it he had posted his results from "A Quick and Dirty IQ Test" - and so I took it. Now, let me say first off that I was far from expecting a perfect assessment of my IQ from an untimed 16 question quiz, but I ended up with a 135, which is actually right about where I've been on nearly every online IQ test I've taken over the past few years. Anyway, normally I would have been just fine with that score and gone on my merry way - until I saw the details of the results:

quote:
Your Logical Intelligence is Below Average
Your Verbal Intelligence is Genius
Your Mathematical Intelligence is Genius
Your General Knowledge is Genius

Weird, right? So I started toying around with the answers and eventually got as high as 140 - but still "Below Average" in Logical Intelligence. I spent another ten minutes at least trying to figure it out, and then it finally dawned on me.

So let's see who else can figure it out. Post your results and comments before looking at anyone else's and before reading the following...

Aside from the dirty little trick they play on those expecting more from the results, it seems to me there are issues with at least two of the questions. The answer to #2 seems to be the trunk full of nickels, but a dime is less than half the size of a nickel, so as far as I can tell the answer should be the half trunk of dimes. And as for #3,while I did choose the correct option ("If Jody doesn't go to jail, she paid her ticket"), I can think of at least one scenario where this wouldn't necessarily be true - if she died before paying her ticket (okay that's a bit of a stretch, but still).

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they didn't write their test correctly.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
If you got one "logical intelligence" question wrong for some random reason, that could probably change it from genius to below average...Since presumably there are only 4 questions in each category...
And your complaint about #3 is not valid...It's obvious what the answer is.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You are in very excellent company. My logical intelligence is also below average. Probably because it isn't all that logical to waste time on a test like this. [Wink]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by Tara:

Well, I was half joking, but I still think it's technically valid. Why do you disagree?

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Probably because it isn't all that logical to waste time on a test like this. [Wink]

Exactly. [Smile]
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
quote:

Well, I was half joking, but I still think it's technically valid. Why do you disagree?

Well, of course she could die before paying her ticket. She could also get abducted by aliens, thrown down a well, locked in a broom closet, or stuck in Narnia. But there are only three choices available, and only one of them makes sense. So you click that one. Honestly. [Smile]
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

And if it said to choose the best answer I'd completely agree. But it says "Which other statement must be true?" Not only that, but one of the things supposedly being judged is logic, so I'm even more convinced now that my complaint is perfectly valid.
Tara
Member # 10030

Well then have fun hacking into their system and typing in your own answers. [Smile]
Mike
Member # 55

Yeah, except that she can't die or get kidnapped by aliens or any such thing, or the first statement wouldn't be true either.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well then have fun hacking into their system and typing in your own answers. [Smile]

But that would prove your logical intelligence is below average-- because the logical thing to do would be to say, "This test is stupid and wrong," and ignore it. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

Her dead body could be put in an alien jail. [Smile]

Tara,
My point was just that the test has flaws. I'm just having fun with it, really, and I thought others might as well.

Personally, I think my loophole is rather amusing.

Tara
Member # 10030

I was having fun too. [Razz]
Mike
Member # 55

quote:

Good point. Then again, in that case the third answer would still be right.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I call shenanigans on this test! I only got 120 on it, but I was tested by a psychologist just six months ago and got 143.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they deduct one standard deviation for being dumb enough to take the test in the first place.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I came up with a 100. Ha!

I have a couple questions about the test. So stop reading if you're going to take it but haven't.
I mean it.
I know Italy started out as an Axis power in WWII but got conquored by the Allies. And I know China got invaded by the Japanese and was certainly not on the Axis side. Which one was officially an Ally?

Also, which language did they want? I think I used the wrong definition of widely spoken. I said Chinese because it is largely spoken in China itself while the other languages stretch across multiple continents each. I'm guessing they actually wanted the number of speakers, in which case it's poorly worded.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
quote:

How so?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If you get upset by an on-line 16 question IQ test results, that in itself means
[quote]Your Logical Intelligence is Below Average[/quote}

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

True...
Mike
Member # 55

quote:
quote:
quote:

How so?
The statements are logically equivalent. At least, they are if you ignore the sloppy use of tense and the usual addition of caveats that we, as English speakers, tend to add to our interpretation of absolute statements.

But if you're going to allow Jody to be jailed after dying or being abducted by aliens in order to make the given statement true, then you're making the answer statement true as well.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
The test claims Hindi is the least "widely spoken" language. I don't know how they can claim that given the population of India unless they mean geographically.

I'm up to 140 but I still haven't figured out the last one.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
(accidental double post)
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your IQ Is 130
Your Logical Intelligence is Below Average
Your Verbal Intelligence is Genius
Your Mathematical Intelligence is Genius
Your General Knowledge is Above Average

That may indeed be a reference to taking a 16 question IQ test online.

Or I am too smart for a mortal quiz to understand my stupendously complex and devilish logic. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Any test that tells me that my mathematical intelligence is Genius has got some serious flaws, I'm sad to say.

quote:
The test claims Hindi is the least "widely spoken" language.
Where did you find the correct answers? (maybe that's where my logical intelligence is lacking!)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:
The test claims Hindi is the least "widely spoken" language.
Where did you find the correct answers? (maybe that's where my logical intelligence is lacking!)
Keep submitting a different answer to the question until you see your IQ level change.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Any test that tells me that my mathematical intelligence is Genius has got some serious flaws, I'm sad to say.

Hehe. Ditto. Honestly, I'm nowhere near "genius" in any of those categories.
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How so?
The statements are logically equivalent. At least, they are if you ignore the sloppy use of tense and the usual addition of caveats that we, as English speakers, tend to add to our interpretation of absolute statements.

But if you're going to allow Jody to be jailed after dying or being abducted by aliens in order to make the given statement true, then you're making the answer statement true as well.

Ehh...

Okay. You win.

This time...

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
English is the least spoken. I believe.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I voted the Hindi, because there are so many variations of it that are spoken, but I am not sure about true Hindi.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How so?

Ehh...

Okay. You win.

This time...

Eh, that's ok, you can win this time if you want. [Wink]
Itsame
Member # 9712

Well, I just took that web tickle test:

Congratulations, Jonathan!
Your IQ score is 140

Your Intellectual Type is Visionary Philosopher. This means you are highly intelligent and have a powerful mix of skills and insight that can be applied in a variety of different ways. Like Plato, your exceptional math and verbal skills make you very adept at explaining things to others — and at anticipating and predicting patterns. And that's just some of what we know about you from your IQ results.

Eh, closer to the official one than before. Of course, I was watching Hot Fuzz while taking it... then again, I was recovering from the flu when I took the official one. Meh.

Anyway, I have always preferred web tickle, if one is to take an online IQ test. How bout that one instead?

Edit: I do like that I got philosopher though. Seems fitting, considering that is my major.

Edit2: Eh, besides which, I am not exactly sure how they would measure IQ with that type of test, past a certain point. Most of the questions seemed rather simple. In fact, all of them. Meh.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.