FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question for Wii owners

Author Topic: A question for Wii owners
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm in the market to buy some Wii stuff, and I'm torn over what I should get.

I recently (finally) took a huge bucket of loose change to the CoinStar machine near my house. The options were to either give them 8.9 cents off of every dollar, or to convert the money into an eCertificate good at a number of online stores. I chose Amazon.com as my eCertificate vendor, and let the coinage fly.

The machine stopped churning at just over $156. (Yes, I know, that's a lot of loose change).

So now I've got over $150 to spend at amazon.com, and I'm looking at Wii stuff.

What I have currently:
- 2 wiimotes and 2 nunchuks
- Wii Play
- Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Trauma Center: Second Opinion

What I'm looking at possibly buying:
- Super Mario Galaxy (definite)
- Metroid Prime 3
- Super Paper Mario
- Wii Zapper
- Maro Party 8
- Zack and Wiki
- Charging station
- NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
- Some GameCube controllers/Wavebirds

Anyone have any ideas/input? The only limitation is that it works on the Wii and can be bought at amazon.com.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Rayman Ravin' Rabbids - If you want something multiplayer and silly. It's minigames, so I'd recommend it over Mario Party 8. (Unless you're already a fan of the Mario Party series, I suppose.) There's a 2nd one too, but I haven't played that yet.

Excite Truck - Ridiculously fun racing game. The only real problem with it is the multiplayer is only 2-player and doesn't include cpu trucks. But launching your truck a few hundred feet in the air is great, and it's one of those games where even doing badly at it is fun.

Are you likely to have more than 2 people wanting to play Wii? If you get Rayman Ravin' Rabbids or Mario Party, you might want more controllers and nunchucks.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd put Mario at the very top of your list. It's been the first game in a LONG time (since N64 days) to get almost all perfect scores from everybody.

And if you have old GC games, and are lacking in controllers there, then I'd do the wavebirds. That's one for the greatest things that the Wii does, IMO, letting you play Gamecube games, even thought it's a very different system.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Super Paper Mario made me want to bludgeon the writers with an original Xbox "Fatty" controller. And the designers. It's frustrating and the story hurts to read.

Then again, I've heard that many people also enjoy it. I recommend that you rent it before you buy.

I would recommend Wii Play, but only for Tank Battle. It's brilliant fun. And if you're going to be needing more controllers, one comes with the game for free. Or the game's free, however you want to look at it.

I would also give a hearty second for Excite Truck. The controls take some adjusting to, but once you're over that it's the most fun I've had on the system.

Buy some points cards, too. There is (sadly) very little that interests me on the Wii right now. I only own Mario Galaxy. But I could spent a mint at the Virtual Console store.

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
If you like Trauma Center: Second Opinion, then you should probably get Trauma Center: New Blood, the new sequel that recently came out.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I never owned a GameCube (or N64, for that matter), so I don't have existing GC games to play. However, with Virtual Console, I'd need to get additional controllers to play anything but the original NES games - so two Wavebirds/GC Controllers are a distinct possibility.

For the most part, I play the Wii on my own - I'd say 60% of the time. The remaining 40% has been with two players. Even if I had more wiimotes, I don't think I'd use more than two very often.

So far I've been loving Wii Sports (tennis, especially) and Wii Play (tanks, racing cows, and ping pong, especially). I've enjoyed Zelda, too, but I've just been more drawn to the Wii Sports/Play games lately.

I knew I forgot one on that list - Rayman Raving Rabbids was another I was looking at.

So, right now, I think my list stands at:

Definite:
- Super Mario Galaxy

Recommended:
- Rayman Raving Rabbids
- Excite Truck
- 2 Wavebirds

Also interested:
- Metroid Prime 3
- Zack and Wiki
- NiGHTS
- Wii Zapper
- Charging Station

Less interested at the moment (or rent first):
- Mario Party 8
- Super Paper Mario

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to update my Wii news and reviews thread.

Zak and Wiki is great if you like the point and click adventure games.

I just got the Lego Star Wars game. I haven't really made it that far, but I've had a blast just in the menu screens. Also, I got into a lightsaber fight with my brother (although waving the wii-mote only triggers the built in lightsaber attacks/blocks, it has little to do with the form they take.

Super Paper Mario...we rented it. My girlfriend loved it. I was bored. It is a very, very easy game and I found the (unskippable) cut scenes boring.

I'm looking at getting a couple of the Nyko perfect shot gun pistols and Ghost Squad for a light gun game. I'm really excited about that - I used to love playing Area 51 in the arcade.

You may want to consider Gamecube games as well. There are some really great ones out there. The Zelda compilation is a must have in my opinion. Mario Power Tennis is hella fun. If you're old enough, the Midway arcade compilations have some old school games that are huge hits with a lot of my friends. Zelda Windwaker is, in my opinion, more fun than Twilight Princess. There's a variety of other ones that are pretty great.

If you're willing to wait a bit, there are some excellent games on the horizon. No More Heroes, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and the absolutely amazing looking Ghostbusters game are on my list.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Bok, I haven't played Trauma Center yet - my fiancee just got it for X-Mas from my parents. If we really like it, the sequel will definitely go on the list.

Has anyone played Metroid, Zack and Wiki, or NiGHTS? [Edit: I see that Squick has played Z&W - what do you mean exactly by "point and click adventure"?]

I just wish Mario Kart Wii were out right now, because that would be a second definite... but I've got to wait for Q2 of 08 for that one, it seems.

[Edit again! - I'm also interested in Geometry Wars: Galaxies... has anyone taken a look at that?]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Zak and Wiki is as good as everyone says it is. If you like that sort of game, it should be a definite for you. [edit: It's like the old school Sierra games after they got rid of the typing, although it's less of a coherent adventure and more of collection of puzzles loosely connected by the frame story. You move your character around the island you are on, picking up items and using them to overcome obstacles. This used to be done with the mouse where you pointed to and clicked on what you wanted to walk to, fiddle with, or use. Z&W uses the wii-mote for this.]

Amazon's got the $20 Wii Points card for $18 now. If you're going VC, I highly recommend Mario 64 and Waverace. They are two amazing games, but you'll need a gamecube or classic controller to play them.

[edit: I'm interested in Nights and Geometry Wars too. My game budget is kind of tied up though.]

[ December 27, 2007, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to sound boring but I would seriously consider getting the charge station. Though I myself have not used it, in the last year I have probably gone through $30 worth of batteries EASY. That's with two wiimotes and two nunchucks. In the long run it will definitely save you money. Buy it sooner rather then later.

DEFINITELY get Mario Galaxy. If third party developers could make a game ALMOST as awesome as this game, the Wii will probably continue to dominate the next 3 years or so.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The one annoying part of Z&W is not letting you use the nunchuck to move around. Point and click is a pain for movement. Other than that, its an excellent game.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I just got the charge station for Christmas. Prior to that, I was using rechargable batteries. It's more convenient, but not so much that I'd make it a high priority if that's your set up right now.

fugu,
I'd hate to have to use the nunchuck for movement. I've found that the point and click works really well when you go into camera mode.

My main complaint is that DDR-esque music box sequences are not sensitive enough. I can't get it to register reliably, so it takes forever to complete these.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

So, Z&W would be akin to Shadowgate for the NES (if anyone ever played that)? Is it anything like StarTropics was for SNES?

Right now I haven't even been using rechargeable batteries - I got a 30 pack of Rayovac batteries for about 4 bucks, and have been going through them.

(I just reconnected my SNES, so I might be using 8 of those AAs for my SuperScope...hehe)

So, should I go charging station, or rechargeable batteries, do you think? Starting from normal batteries, I think it might make sense to go with the charging station.

krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
are new Wavebirds for the GC still on sale anywhere? i need some for when smash bros comes out?
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

There are some listed as "new and used" on Amazon, and lots of them listed on eBay. The ones on eBay that I've seen have gone for $30-45 ea. or so after shipping.
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
Umbrella Chronicles is a pretty good shooter, although it's slightly short and you don't actually control movement.

NiGHTS is fair, but nowhere near as good as the original (says my son).

Metroid is very good, looks pretty, and plays well. Slightly more linear then the first two, but still well made and well implemented.

I'd also like to recommend Mario Strikers Charged, Resident Evil 4, and the charging station.

Although, this is mostly from watching my son play, as I don't really have the reflexes for video games anymore.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

i have mario strikers charged. its a fun game and even more fun when you have two people on the same team.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I haven't tried Geometry Wars for Wii but I recently bought it for my DS and really like it. The division of the game into planets (separate levels for which you get a set number of lives/bombs) instead of one continous play session with multiple waves makes it a great game to play in small blocks of time, so I like having it on the portable. But the actual analog stick on your nunchuck would be better than the d-pad for longer play sessions.

I got Metroid for christmas but haven't played it yet (because I also got Mario Galaxy). But pretty much all of the reviews I've seen for that have been positive.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

The frontrunners are:
- Super Mario Galaxy $50
- Charging Station $30
- Metroid Prime $48
- Zack and Wiki $40
- Rayman Raving Rabbids $40
- 2000 Wii points card $18

Rotar - I never played the original NiGHTS, I just heard that it was a good game. Could you elaborate? Also, I hadn't thought about Strikers - could you go into more depth on that?

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I got "Cooking Mama: Cook Off" for Christmas, but I note that it isn't on your list of posibilities. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rotar Mode
Member # 9898

- posted      Profile for Rotar Mode   Email Rotar Mode         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Rotar - I never played the original NiGHTS, I just heard that it was a good game. Could you elaborate? Also, I hadn't thought about Strikers - could you go into more depth on that?

I wouldn't know, this is all on my son's recommendation. I could get him to elaborate later today.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I think there's a free demo for Metroid on Virtual Console - I'm going to try to test that out tonight to see if it "makes the cut", as it were.

I think I might end up with Galaxy, Charging Station, Wii Points card, and either Z&W or RRR.

I'm pulled in two directions between those.

On a side note, I was playing Trauma Center last night, and it's actually pretty fun. I'm getting grades of C on the easy level, though, so I'm not sure what the hard level would be like.

Bokonon
Member # 480

There are no demos on the Wii, yet (that may change when they release the WiiWare Channel some time in the next few months). The VC has the old Metroids (which are good, mind you), but you have to pay, and they aren't like the Prime series at all.

There was a Metroid promo channel, which provide some game video and trailers, but no actual gameplay.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Was that what it was, a promo channel? I saw something about Metroid Prime Corruption when I was surfing through VC - that must have been it.

I had assumed it was a promo of some sort, like what XBox does.

So, jury's still out on Metroid. I actually have only ever played the original Metroid on NES - which I really liked. One of my main reasons for looking at Metroid now is because so many people have spoken highly about it, and because it is one of the top rated games for the Wii right now.

The only "definites" I have right now, I think, are Super Mario Galaxy and the Charging Station, which brings me to $80. I've got about $70 left to spend, though I'm not averse to throwing in a little more beyond my eCertificates.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Well, I'm glad I'm a slacker and haven't bought anything yet.

Apparently, the Wii Charging Station by Psyclone melts Wii-motes. The charger never shuts off, and keeps charging even after the batteries are fully charged - and can make them overheat and damage the Wii-motes themselves.

Does anyone know anything about the other third-party charging stations out there? Or know when Nintendo might release one?

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what the official title is, but the kids love to play Wario, and I have to admit it's pretty compelling. It's also good for a large group where you can have a short, fun activity and different people get to try it. The graphics are markedly dysthetic, which I'm not sure how I feel about, but the kids love it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I rented Wario Ware a couple months back, and I could only describe it as a game made by people on acid for people with ADD. It's manic and surreal and a lot of fun.

I had actually forgotten about it - but that would be a great party game for people new to the Wii.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not surprised that you're getting such a good response. The wii is very popular, and probably most every man here has one.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished the first two Prime games on the GameCube and have played an hour or two of Corruption (not the first two hours). I actually bought a GameCube specifically for the original Metroid Prime. I think it's worth considering, even though you'd have to get a GameCube controller and memory card.

I found my limited experience with Corruption to be more shootery and less adventure/explorationy than Prime 1 or Echoes. I loved the exploration and environmental puzzles in Prime 1 and Echoes, looking around in an area, seeing something, and thinking "hmmm, now how can I get over there?" I'm told Corrpution does have that stuff as well, but with the new controls and need to actually aim there's definitely more emphasis on shooting stuff. If you're going to play one game in the Metroid Prime franchise, my pick is still the first one. Then, of course, you can go on to play the other two. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The wii is very popular, and probably most every man here has one.
[Big Grin]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Oh, also, a GameCube controller and memory card would open up a decent library of options.

Pikmin 1 and 2 are IMO the pinnacle of console RTS, a bizarre cross between Lemmings and a zergling rush. However, if you don't want to play an RTS with a dual analog controller, check out Battalion Wars II for the Wii. I played the original Battalion Wars on the GC and thought it was pretty good, but Pikmin controls better; I haven't played BWII but it might have benefited from the Wiimote.

Wind Waker is a thoroughly enjoyable Zelda title on the GC with (again IMO) fabulous art direction.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time was excellent. The Two Thrones is also quite good, but avoid the middle game in the series.

Beyond Good & Evil was one of the best last-gen console games, IMO. It was great to see a game actually trying to make a statement.

Check out Resident Evil 4 for the Wii, as well. It was nothing short of incredible on the GameCube and the Wii version is the same game with better controls and more content.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

And if you are old-school and are lucky like me, you can snag Ikaruga for shooter goodness for the GC. Hard-as-nails gameplay, but awesome for those "in the zone" moments. And it rewards you for playing it (giving you more continues), so it gets easier to beat over time.

-Bok

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend has Mario Party 8, and I think it's pretty fun. The best Mario Party in a while. It's not one of those super active Wii game either, so you can play it from your couch and just hang out with friends.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Metriod Prime 3 is an awesome game. I would say get that first. I still think I like Super Metriod on SNES the best, but it's definitely worth the buy. [Smile]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd skip out on the charging station and just pick up rechargeable NiMH batteries and a charger. They last a really long time and you can get 15 minute chargers for them for a pretty decent price.

I don't have many game recommendations since I don't have many Wii games but I think you should listen to twinky and pick up Metroid Prime (the first one) and a gamecube controller. I played through in in the summer and it was a great game.

I also followed his Pikmin recommendation (though I haven't got the second one yet) which was excellent. Another one he recommended to me that I've only played a little is Eternal Darkness. It's a horror themed game that I'm really looking forward to working my way through.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Okay, so this is what I ended up getting:

- Super Mario Galaxy
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
- Sony Quick Battery Charger with 4 AA Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries
- Some other non-Wii stuff

I also, through eBay, have purchased 3 Wavebird controllers (for $31, $31 and $30, respectively) though I only wanted two (won an auction I wasn't expecting to).

I'll likely be picking up Metroid Prime today at GameSpot, where they had a used one on sale for $5 - even though my Wavebirds won't arrive until next week.

What other GameCube games should I be on the lookout for?

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Ghost Squad with two of the Nyko Perfect Shot pistol shells is a heck of a lot of fun. My only complaint is that it is a little short (there's only three missions, although there are several different paths you can take through each mission) and the pistols have a somewhat stiffer trigger than I would like.

Lego Starwars also lots of fun. You play though the movies, unlocking various things as you go along. There's also plenty of bonus unlockables, like the lego city that (among other things) you can go through with an AT-ST, blowing things up. I'm not terribly happy with the flying levels so far, but everything else has been great. And Darth Maul is the coolest character to play as.

The Simpsons I'm more lukewarm on. It's funny and all, but it's not really that much fun of a game and playing two player on a non-huge TV is too confusing.

Gamecube games that I didn't mention above:

I'll third Pikmin as a lot of fun.

Crazy Taxi is a fun, short driving game.

I just got Mario Kart Double Dash for Christmas. That's been a lot of fun, although I'd hold off for the Wii version that is coming out soon.

My girlfriend has good things to say about Luigi's Mansion (I haven't played it).

Soul Calibur II is a pretty decent fighting game, and, also, just like in real life, the female characters' self confidence is directly proportional to their breast sizes.

Simpson's Hit and Run is sort of a toned down version of Grand Theft Auto set in Springfield. Pretty fun, but, to my mind, somewhat overly restrictive.

Also, on the virtual console, Streets of Rage 2 is a great, great game. You are missing out if you've never played it.

krynn
Member # 524

hell yeah. Streets of Rage 2 was one of my fav's growing up.

I definitely need to check online for wavebirds as well. i will need some for Brawl.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I think it should be mentioned that you don't actually need wavebirds to play GC games/Brawl. The normal wired GC controllers work just fine too, although you're probably going to want to get cord extenders for them.
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Wavebirds are more convenient. Once you taste wireless game control, it's not easy to go back.

The replacement of batteries is the only inconvenience with wireless.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

twinky didn't mention Eternal Darkness, so I will. If for no other reason than to see him kicking himself for forgetting it.

Super Monkey Ball. There's a second one and also a Wii version, but I think the first one for GC still has the best overall level design & gameplay.

--Enigmatic

krynn
Member # 524

once they announced that the GC control scheme would work for BRawl, there is no reason to try and play the other way. Sakurai even says he prefers it.
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever played any Fire Emblem games? They're RPGs that require more thought than the standard overhead-view RPGs and that don't have any aimless wandering. I've only played the Game Boy Advance ones, but the Game Cube one (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance) and Wii one (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) are probably similar. GameSpot gave the Wii one a mediocre review, though.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
twinky didn't mention Eternal Darkness, so I will. If for no other reason than to see him kicking himself for forgetting it.

Argh, I remembered this after the fact and then forgot to come back and mention it. Yeah, Eternal Darkness is one of my favourite games.
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:

Hey, I already did that!
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.