FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Crock Pot cooking

Author Topic: Crock Pot cooking
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a 6 qt crock pot for Christmas, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for cooking in one? My mom use to use crock pots for cooking when I was younger, but all I really remember were soups and chili, and a great beef stew.

I think we had a thread for this a few years back, but I am not sure.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Im addition to the soup-type things you mentioned, we've had some great pork roasts. And pot roast too, of course.

(I'm not the cook in the family, but could probably come up with the recipe if you were interested.)

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
What can't you do with a crock pot? First thing: go buy a cook book with crock pot/slow cooker theme. There are dozens. I think it is KQ who uses hers a ton, I know she'll have some hints.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I still have the link to Dags web page too. IIRC there were some things there as well.

I bought a decent one, and it came with a decent cookbook as well, but I was just looking for people's favorites. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite crock pot recipes:

quote:
2 lb pork tenderloin
1 envelope Dry Onion Soup Mix
1 cup water
3/4 cup red wine
3 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp soy sauce
a few garlic cloves (optional)
black pepper

Instructions

If you are using the garlic cloves, put them into the pork by cutting a slit for each and shoving in a clove or half of clove. Feel free to use however many you'd like or none at all. I used 4 and it turned out great.

Sit the tenderloin in the slow cooker and add the onion soup mix, water, wine, soy sauce, minced garlic, and some black pepper.

Cook on low setting for 4 hours. Try to keep as much as possible of the juice, onions, and garlic on the top of the meat while cooking.

Be sure to serve with the juice for dipping!

quote:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into 1 inch cubes)
1 pound cooked, frozen, shrimp peeled & deviened, preferably tail off and a decent size
1 pound andouille sausage (sliced)
28 oz can diced tomatoes WITH juice
1 cup chicken broth
1 large onion chopped
1 large green bell pepper chopped
1 cup celery diced
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp cajun seasoning
1 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp dried thyme

Instructions

Throw everything in the slow-cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours, stirring occasionally.

Serve over rice.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Sounds great...I will be breaking in the CP this weekend probably, so I will post what I made and how it turned out. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Kwea! *jumps up and down in glee and waves arm wildly* I know I know I know! Pick me!

I taught a class on crockpot cooking for my Relief Society earlier in the year. I think I still have my outline if you want me to send it to you.

Some of my favorite things to do in the crockpot are chicken (my favorite recipe is on the Jatraquero recipe site), corned beef (ditto), scalloped potatoes (I even use a bag of frozen hash browns, defrosted, instead of peeling the potatoes sometimes, also on the site), and a crockpot apple pie that kind of ends up more like a cobbler but is absolutely delicious. I also like spinach spoon bread and upside down chocolate pudding cake which is like a chocolate volcano thing with hot fudge on the bottom and cake on the top, divine with ice cream. As well, of course, as soups, chilis, stews, etc., etc.

I have 4 crockpots if you count the little one I use for sauces, dips, and drinks, which came as a bonus, and I borrowed my relatives' and made most of my husband's graduation party meal in the crockpots. It was awesome.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I still have the link to Dags web page too. IIRC there were some things there as well.

My favorite is there. Many of the things I make in the crockpot are variations on that Fiesta Chicken theme.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I was just at the site, and I noticed you had a few there. [Smile]

Apple pie is out, as JenniK is allergic to malic acid. Too bad, too, as she LOVES apples. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is malic acid in all fruits? 'Cause I bet you could do it with peaches, too.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Peaches are an option.

My wife gets drunk on apples. Not a good drunk, either....a pass out drunk. It hyper-excites her metabolism and she passes out after about 10 min of babbling

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the thread you want.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooh, Kwea, not good at all! I'd be willing to bet that recipe would work well with fresh peaches, or nectarines, with minimal tweaking.
Kwea
Member # 2199

I think it will be a dinner tomorrow, but desert might happen laster next week.

I am leaning towards chili myself...when I am this sick spicy food is all I can taste. [Frown]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the way the turkey comes out in the crockpot. I put rice or stuffing or something like that in the bottom, mixed with plenty of chopped up vegetables, then put the turkey pieces on top, and let 'er rip.

My family thinks the dark meat turkey comes out much better than the breast, but we have a strong dark meat bias anyway.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Triple Threat Turkey

Buy a turkey. Cut off the spine and the wings (and neck if there is one) and put them in a pot. Cover with water, add a couple of whole onions, and like 6 garlic cloves, a bay leaf, and some carrots if you feel like it, and cook for a day. Let it cool off (even put it in the fridge) and then skim whatever fat there is off the top, and pull out whatever skin has floated to the surface. Then cook it again for another 4-6 hours. If you make matza balls, I recommend putting some oregano or basil in them.

This is the first of three dishes that you get from the turkey. You've heard stories about chicken soup as the "Jewish penicillin"? This turkey soup makes chicken soup cry. It comes out dark -- almost opaque -- and a few bowls of this will stop a cold dead in its tracks.

Part two. Cut off the thighs and legs and put them in a crockpot with a pound of sliced up mushrooms and a few cloves of garlic, and a quartered onion. Shake oregano all over it, and some black pepper, if you want. You can add some water, if you want, but you don't really need to, because the mushrooms contain loads of water that will come out. Cover the crockpot and cook overnight. Take the bones out and serve it. It's amazing.

What's left is just the turkey breast. You can roast this the way you would a turkey, or you can take the meat off, pound it flat with a tenderizer, and roll it up with any sort of filling in it (kishke is good, but you can use veggies, or stuffing, or mix up some bread crumbs and onion soup mix and a strawberry and apricot jam into a paste if you like) and toothpick it closed before baking it.

I know only the middle one uses the crockpot, but I thought I'd give the whole thing. Note that I didn't mention salt anywhere. That's because we use kosher turkeys, and they're generally pre-salted. So we don't usually add salt while we're cooking. I wind up salting it at the table, though. So salt to your hearts' content.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me the first part would work perfectly well in a crockpot too.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Provided it is large enough.....
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
For Christmas dinner, my wife slow cooked a garlic-marinated pork loin in a jar of adobo sauce (diluted with a bit of water). Very, very good. We had tacos, but I'm thinking that it'd be fantastic over polenta. Sort of a lazy tamale.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I love the way the turkey comes out in the crockpot. I put rice or stuffing or something like that in the bottom, mixed with plenty of chopped up vegetables, then put the turkey pieces on top, and let 'er rip.

My family thinks the dark meat turkey comes out much better than the breast, but we have a strong dark meat bias anyway.

I've got one going right now!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
We've never actually made soup in a crockpot. We use a big 6 or 8 quart soup pot.

Also, since we usually make the darkmeat and the soup at the same time, we can't use the crockpot for both. But rivka is probably right that it'd work.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
<------ also has a dark meat bias
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I would do every single part of that recipe in the crockpot.

But that's just me. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

My wife loves her dark meat turkey. I like both, so it's all good for me. [Wink]
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I read this thread title I read "Crack pot cooking" and get confused for a moment. Feel free to get back to being on topic now...
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.