FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me, Hatrack

Author Topic: Help me, Hatrack
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a music major, more specifically, voice performance. I have been looking for some sort of summer program that will give me more performance experience, instead of wasting my summer doing something worthless.

The problem is, however, there doesn't seem to nbe any middle ground, or anything that corresponds with what I'm actually looking for. I would like to participate in a performance (preferably an opera), not for too long, and without taking thousands of language and diction classes in between, as I have alreeady completed those in my college curriculum. I also am not looking for a high school program, obviously, nor do I want something terribly professional that my chances of getting into are very slim.

I have already looked at a list of about 20 different programs, and none of them seem to fit... and those that DO fit are >$5000, which, sadly, is not a feasible option for me (especially since I'm going to China in two weeks on a choir tour, and must pay for that as well).

Does anyone know of a way to find performance opportunities, or of any programs that fit this criteria? I'm getting really discouraged, not to mention terribly fatigued by the researching/applying/auditioning process. Even if there's an opera put on somewhere over the summer that I could simply audition for, or something like that, that would be nice. I don't really know why I'm posting this thread but in searching I'm not only getting discouraged but starting to convince myself that singing is maybe not what I want, something that I KNOW is not true. So please, help!

Thanks. [Angst]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of anything, but I want to extend encouragement and best wishes. Keep looking and don't lose heart. The search will be worthwhile.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How about advertising yourself as live wedding/christening/etc. song singer person? You'd get more performance experience *and* you'd get paid for singing one or two songs that wouldn't be too hard. You could make a demonstration CD of a few really popular/common choices, and take out a few advertisements in the newspaper or on local listings or whatever.

I had a singing teacher who told me I should do this and that she had, although I never tried it. If I ever get really short of cash and I am no longer living at hime I have the idea on the back burner since it would be a fun and undemanding way of making a few weekend bucks.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Ooh! What a good idea!

Let me look into that...

Thanks Teshi! (((Teshi))) for the great idea. [Big Grin]

I KNEW Hatrack would be a good place to look. Thanks in advance for keeping the ideas coming! [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You could do funerals, too, if you don't find them too depressing. And if there are any elementary schools nearby on the year-round schedule they might be interested in having you come and give a short (like 5 minute) presentation and then singing a few pieces. It probably wouldn't pay much if anything, and it's not semi-pro or college, all of it would be on you, but it would give you experience singing in front of a possibly hostile audience and self-promoting.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Heh, that's true. Thanks. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.