FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Could an atheist go to heaven? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Could an atheist go to heaven?
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
So. If I were a God, and I had a heaven for the good kids and a hell for the bad ones, I would need to decide whether those kiddies went to heaven or to hell. It would seem to me that this deciding would be done on a case by case study of each person's qualities and such. I can imagine allowing someone who claimed that there was a different god than me into Heaven if he lived a good life, was kind and upheld virtues that I felt significant. In short, I don't think whether each particular person did exactly what I told them to do would be what gets them into heaven, but living a good life and being a positive force in society would get them in.

So. Couldn't an atheist like myself, upon my death, be judged to have been a pretty upstanding fellow, and so ushered into Heaven alongside the good religious guys?

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
What if the religious aren't good? What if it's not our "goodness" as to why a person would get into heaven.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Starsnuffer:
So. Couldn't an atheist like myself, upon my death, be judged to have been a pretty upstanding fellow, and so ushered into Heaven alongside the good religious guys?

I see no reason why not. It's God's judgment that matters in the end, not mine. If He wanted you in Heaven, you'd be there.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope so. It's hard for me to fit the idea of a "Good God" with a being who could condemn virtuous people for doing the best they could with the information they had available and their own reason.

I tend to hope that salvation is available to everyone.

("So. Still an atheist?"

"Uh..." (looks around) "No."

"Glad we got that settled. Come have a look around.")

I'm wouldn't be surprised if such a view didn't seem frivilous, if not downright blasphemous, to some.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an interesting question, and not one faced by theists. Afterall, if there is nothing after death you won't be disappointed, you just won't *be*.

But don't worry, if you're a Jatraquero, I'll save a horn of mead, a haunch of venison and a bench by the fire in Valhalla.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, my fellow atheist, you can't have it both ways. If you don't accept deity X as your saviour, you can't join X in His/Her heaven. You’ll send yourself automatically to the respective Hell.

By many definitions, Hell is not a “place” per se, it’s actually a state of being as related to some deity. Namely, your wilful separation from the deity. If you’re rejecting one deity, that deity won’t incorporate you, against your wish, in His/Her Heaven. Most of the deities do respect your free will, or so they say.

So, your question does come with some prejudice, that is, that there is ONE Heaven and ONE Hell, and that maybe different deities try to lure you in one place or the other, but the Heaven is still the same. It’s not the case, as far as I had the pleasure to learn from my theist friends.

The conclusion is simple: whatever you do, theist or atheist, you’ll go to some “hell” as defined by each of the deities you don’t believe in.

As an atheist you should at least be happy that you don’t believe in none of those “hells”. [Big Grin]

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of atheists have a better chance at a positive afterlife then a lot of religious people I have met.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't really know anything, so it is possible. If we knew, faith wouldn't matter. [Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Sterling, your phrasing is somewhat whimsical, but, at the core, I tend to agree with your scenario.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
[over-generalized metaphor begins]

So as I grew up I was told stories about my missing dad, and given a book of things he was said to have done and said. Many of the stories are excellent, instructive, and beautiful. Many of the stories are odd, or dated with old prejudices and inaccurate facts, or even contradictory. My brother and I are raised by several different people in succession, all of whom have different interpretations of what the book means and what our missing dad wanted us to do. All of them agree that we have to adhere to their teachings of dad's book or he won't be happy with us when he comes back.

My brother follows the book devoutly in the hopes of future reward and out of fear of future rejection. I decide the heck with the book, since I don't know if my missing dad even wrote it and some of those teachers are whack jobs. So I take the lessons I learned, venture out into the world and try to do good anyway, assuming my possibly-mythical dad is gone for good.

If dad ever did come back, would he be more impressed by the son who followed his a specific interpretation of his teachings from fear, or the son who finds his own meaning from those teachings and from others and becomes a good person for the sake of doing good?

[end overly-general metaphor]

It's unfair, I know. I don't think all Christians are Christians out of fear or hope of reward.

But this question spoke directly to that issue, and a god who treats eternal reward as some sort of VIP room, exclusive to the members of a special club who all know the right code words to get in, is not a god I would willingly follow anyway.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
God does his best to accomodate atheists in heaven.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, kmb.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure an atheist could go TO heaven, but would have to abandon that aspect of their belief system in order to enter.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
yea, I don't think that you could be an atheist and go to heaven. By that time I don't think you would be an atheist anymore.

Then again, I come from a religion where Heaven and Hell have problematic definitions. They might go to a Heaven, but that doesn't mean they would have Exaltation. If that last statement makes you scratch your head, maybe someone else will explain the concept.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the heaven too.
We may have a polytheist heaven, in which case a monotheist may have to abandon that part of their belief system to enter.
We may have a reincarnation system in which case it might not even matter what one believes.
We may even have a heaven which exists totally independently from any god.
There is even a small chance that we all don't get to enter heaven because it turns out we all didn't eat enough pasta or whatever is required for the Spagetti Flying Monster.

In short, it all depends [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this should be in it's own thread, but:

Why would God make atheists in the first place? I mean, according to Ecclesiastes, there is a time and a purpose for everything. What is the purpose for non-belief?

(I have my own answer, but I'll hold it in abeyance for now.)

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I wouldn't still claim to be an atheist if after dieing god came over to me, or one of his secretaries/underlings, and told me that he thought I'd done such a super job in life that he's offering me to go to heaven. I would obviously say sure, god, thanks for accepting me, I guess it was pretty silly for me to not believe in you all this time, but I guess I turned out alright even without saying thanks all the time.

It just seems like the only fundamental difference between me and a religious person is that I don't believe in god,and they do. I behave in a similar way and I'm a good person.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
Maybe this should be in it's own thread, but:

Why would God make atheists in the first place? I mean, according to Ecclesiastes, there is a time and a purpose for everything. What is the purpose for non-belief?

(I have my own answer, but I'll hold it in abeyance for now.)

If God put belief in every person, it would pretty much toss that whole "free will" thing out the window. My belief is that every culture was given a religion to suit their needs. If someone can live a moral life without belief in God, well I'm pretty sure He has many other people he is worried about.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen:

Don't assume we do have free will. At best we have partial control, and vastly less even of that of our less conscious but still equally relevent aspects.

Not to rain on the rest of your post, of course. Just one of those fun quibbles, you know?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:

Most people look at this passage in Ecclesiastes as to mean that God creates everything for a purpose. "There is a time to live and a time to die" and they take it to mean that God has a set time period when you are going to die.

It's really kind of a cynical piece of the Bible. It's talking about the futility of life without God- you'll live, you'll die, you'll experience a few different situations in life and that's it. And when you die that's it- everything is futile.

The writer is being somewhat sarcastic and cynical- it's saying that without God everything is futile.

God doesn't make "atheists" per se. He simply creates humans in imago dei (in the image of God- which I believe means that we are sentient and have free will) and with that free will we can believe what we want.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Stephen:

Don't assume we do have free will. At best we have partial control, and vastly less even of that of our less conscious but still equally relevent aspects.

Not to rain on the rest of your post, of course. Just one of those fun quibbles, you know?

I think I would like to see you expand on that a little. There is way too much evil in this world for God to have any control in our actions.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:

If someone can live a moral life without belief in God, well I'm pretty sure He has many other people he is worried about.

I don't think God judges our morality in the way that we do. If He is a perfectly holy God then any act of disobedience towards His will is immoral and by its very nature evil. Since God is incapable of sinning and cannot be tempted compared to us is infinitely better. It's not really based on a curve. 50% get into hell and the better half get into heaven.

It's more based on the idea that we have a personal relationship with God and using that relationship we try and do God's will in our lives.

Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
quote:

If someone can live a moral life without belief in God, well I'm pretty sure He has many other people he is worried about.

I don't think God judges our morality in the way that we do. If He is a perfectly holy God then any act of disobedience towards His will is immoral and by its very nature evil. Since God is incapable of sinning and cannot be tempted compared to us is infinitely better. It's not really based on a curve. 50% get into hell and the better half get into heaven.

It's more based on the idea that we have a personal relationship with God and using that relationship we try and do God's will in our lives.

Just to clarify, is it part of your belief system that all sins carry the same amount of weight?
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that this thread is a good place to use one of my facebook quotes.

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." - Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a Christian, I believe that God would do everything in His power to get anyone, atheists included, into heaven. So, either atheists do go to heaven, or God's power is limited in some way that prevents Him from letting them get into heaven.

That could be a logical limitation, of the sort like "God can't create a rock that God can't lift". For instance, if heaven simply is the state of believing in God, then it is logically impossible for someone who doesn't believe in God to be in heaven.

I really don't know what heaven is, or what limitations God faces, so I can't answer those questions. But my belief is that God's intends for all people to go to heaven, as far as possible.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For instance, if heaven simply is the state of believing in God, then it is logically impossible for someone who doesn't believe in God to be in heaven.
That's already been covered. All God has to do is make the atheist believe in God.

quote:
I really don't know what heaven is, or what limitations God faces, so I can't answer those questions.
Nor can anyone truly answer any questions about God at all. That's a problem with the nebulous and ambiguous God of the Bible. If Thor appeared and used his hammer to created thunder, or if Zeus threw a couple of lightning bolts for my amusement, I would have a difficult time disbelieving in either of them.

But (if the bible is true) the God of the Bible has demonstrated that he has the ability to interact with humans directly, yet he refuses to do so for more than one or a few people at a time. The common argument for this is that it creates a need for faith, and that somehow faith is superior to knowledge.

Ok. But this implies that there is a reason why doubt is necessary, because otherwise faith would be meaningless. Atheism provides contrast. But still: Why? Why not simply appear to all of us in some minor way, once in our lives that we can't contest? Or (to steal a line from Jesus Christ Superstar) why doesn't God have access to mass communication, especially in the modern world?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think most atheists would just be rejoiced at getting an afterlife--regardless of what kind!
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
My two cents:
Heaven is being in a place where you are happy with who you are and what you're doing. If you have been a good (righteous) person you will have happiness and joy. If you were a bad (evil) person, you would still have some measure of happiness, though perhaps not to the extent that others would have. Even an athiest would be in heaven, experiencing happiness and joy.

Hell is for those who reject God's grace with a full knowledge of what that grace entails. In other words, the only people who will be in hell will be those who totally understand who and what God is and has done for us, and then rejects that offering, rejects God. In this scenario, an athiest wouldn't be in hell.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

Ok, but let's take what you just said Sala... Who the heck would take some kind of suffering or punishment in a hell of some kind when they could, after finding out about all the grace and goodness of god unambiguously, move into the cushy and lovely heaven? And I feel like being in hell, although among like-minded people, would not be pleasant and would in fact be quite horrible... eternal punishment and suffering? not so fun.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." - Marcus Aurelius

Well, that made my point better and much more elegant than I did. I'll go with this.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*jealously looks at his metaphor in Chris' post and steals it back* [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, thank you. You just proved to me that my educational path is not a complete waste.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Starsnuffer, the person who would take that kind of suffering is the person who doesn't want that grace and goodness of God. He or she is so opposed to God, despite knowing about that "cushy and lovely heaven" that he or she would rather reject it than accept it. I don't think very many people will be in hell. Most everyone else will accept what God has to offer, whether it be a limited amount or a great amount.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

If, after death, some deity comes and gives us the choice between Heaven and Hell, then why all the fuss about faith during this lifetime?

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
For many of us, faith is about how we live, not about what happens after we die.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

Ok, but this is in the context of the “destination” of atheists after death. I’m quite certain that many atheists are more concerned about how they live their life, than about what happens after it. [Big Grin] Then, why have faith? What does faith bring, that an atheist can’t have otherwise?

A.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread brings up some question I've wondered about--can there be atheists in heaven? Assuming there is an afterlife and a heaven, can you remain there without believing in the god of heaven? Would you want to?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just to clarify, is it part of your belief system that all sins carry the same amount of weight?
Yes
Shawshank
Member # 8453

quote:
Originally posted by: Advice for robots

This thread brings up some question I've wondered about--can there be atheists in heaven? Assuming there is an afterlife and a heaven, can you remain there without believing in the god of heaven? Would you want to?

If heaven is created by some sort of god then I don't think atheists would be logically explain away god.
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
The title of this thread still sounds to me like the first part of a joke, but i have yet to come up with a good punchline
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

If heaven is created by some sort of god then I don't think atheists would be logically explain away god.
I suppose that it depends on what the afterlife is like. Obviously, Atheists would have to do some serious reevaluation of their beliefs. However, unless god himself shows up (or some other such convincing event), then there could be other explanations for an afterlife than God. For example, it could be some different deity than the one described by Christianity. Or it could even be that there really is some physical "soul" that maintains our consciousness somehow. At any rate, while it would definitely be unexpected for an Atheist, an afterlife wouldn't in and of itself imply that God exists.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Hence my caveat "If heaven is created by some sort of god"
suminonA
Member # 8757

quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
Obviously, Atheists would have to do some serious reevaluation of their beliefs.

Or lack, thereof.

For an open minded skeptic, learning new things is possible. [Smile]

A.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Uh..." (looks around) "No."
So, what happens if, even if given the evidence of your deceased senses, you say yes. Does heaven really require the existance of a god of somekind? It could be purely scientific.

*idea for story*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
quote:

I suppose that it depends on what the afterlife is like. Obviously, Atheists would have to do some serious reevaluation of their beliefs. However, unless god himself shows up (or some other such convincing event), then there could be other explanations for an afterlife than God. For example, it could be some different deity than the one described by Christianity. Or it could even be that there really is some physical "soul" that maintains our consciousness somehow. At any rate, while it would definitely be unexpected for an Atheist, an afterlife wouldn't in and of itself imply that God exists.
Right, but in the spirit of this thread, say you wound up in heaven where there was definitely a god. Let's say it was a very nice place to be. Would you give up your atheism and believe in that god? What would it take for you to do so?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

It's all about the proof of that deity that "definitely existed".

It's something like this: If a deity would slap me in the face, I'd take it into consideration. [Smile]

I'm curious how many atheists wouldn't.

A.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reasonably certain that there will be atheists that, upon finding out that there is in fact a God, won't commit obedience to all of His requirements. Some will probably convince themselves that some of the rules are retarded, and that they know better.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

Wait, is total obedience a pre-requisite to going to Heaven (whatever the definition of Heaven you choose) [Confused]
I wonder how many theists qualify for that one…

Compare that with the opinion shown in this thread that “good atheists” could be accepted into some form of Heaven (some definition that I don’t subscribe to).

A.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Here is heaven the way I believe in it: Your belief in God coupled with obedience to his commandments does actually prepare you for a higher degree of heaven. Kind of like your diligent practice prepares you to play or perform at a higher level. Having lived a genuinely good life, having done good for one's fellow beings and for the world, although without believing in God or keeping all of his commandments, will certainly yield many great things but not everything that is possible. You don't enter the afterlife being any different or really knowing any more than you do in this life, but take along with you everything you've done and become in this life, including your beliefs and desires.

As far as total obedience--or being perfect--that's not something we can attain on our own in this life. That's where the grace of God comes into play. If we are striving for it and relying on God to help us, then we will be able to attain much more than we could on our own--both for our own good and for the good of others.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
"Some will probably convince themselves that some of the rules are retarded, and that they know better. "

If you need to convince yourself that something like genocide, or, even worse, eternal torment for finite crimes, or no crime at all except living as we're designed to, is retarded, then there's something gravely wrong with you, BB.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.