FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eat Food. Not too much -- mostly plants. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Eat Food. Not too much -- mostly plants.
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana, our favorite easy low-carb entree is to get a fish rub for salmon, then cook it in a skillet. Wegman's has some delicious ones, although surely they're available elsewhere, too. Add a salad and a frozen veggie and you're done.

If you want to get more adventurous with the veggies, chop up some squash, red peppers, and purple onions, drizzle on a few tablespoons of olive oil, and bake until everything is yummy and soft. (or sautee, but cut the pieces smaller if you do that). As long as you don't mind MSG, McCormick's steak seasoning is GREAT on them. mmmmmmmm

We noticed how much better we felt (and how much weight we lost!) when we started shopping the edges of the supermarket, where the dairy, meats, and produce are...e.g., the whole foods.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, that recipe does call for putting the whole frozen breasts in, so it's "big hunks of ice." The one site said if you put cold food in a cold crockpot (but who preheats a crockpot?) you should be okay damage-wise. I'll have to think about this.

Liz B., I'd never thought of it that way before--shopping the edges of the supermarket! Great concept, and definitely where everything truly tasty is found.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

OK, this from the crock-pot.com "Hints and Tips" section:

quote:
Cooking with Frozen Foods
You can cook frozen meats in your Crock-Pot® slow cooker, however it is best to use the following guidelines:

• Add at least 1 cup of warm liquid to the stoneware before placing meat in the stoneware.

• Do not preheat the slow cooker.

• Cook recipes containing frozen meats for an additional 4 to 6 hours on Low, or an additional
2 hours on High.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. They changed that.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Returning from my lengthy crockery tangent and back to the theme of the OP, is anyone else here a devotee of Heidi Swanson's 101 Cookbooks blog? I love her writing, photography, recipes, and cooking philosophy. She does amazing things with fresh, whole foods, often with an Eastern flair.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Hmm, that recipe does call for putting the whole frozen breasts in, so it's "big hunks of ice."

You and I have different definitions of "big." [Wink]

I meant more like an entire frozen chicken, or a whole package of frozen chicken parts that are frozen into one unbreakable mass. With those I'd be slightly concerned about "warm spots" developing -- places that stay at the good-for-bacteria-bad-for-human-health temperature range. Unless they were thoroughly stirred after the food had been cooking for a couple hours.

One of the reasons I like using frozen chicken is so it won't be overcooked at the end of the day.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I like my crockpot that turns itself to "warm" after a pre-programmed time-- I can just set it to half an hour to an hour less on low (depending on how long I will be gone after it should have been done) and it will turn the heat down so it just finishes as I get home. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
So I am cooking a chicken in a dutch oven, and the lid won't close all the way, and is sitting on the chicken, with about a half an inch away from closing.

Think it will stick to the chicken?

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That just doesn't sound good to me.

I'd make a tent (not touching the chicken, but leaving room over it) of aluminum foil, double layers, heavy duty if you've got it, tightly sealed.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Or, you know, find a bigger pot. Or cut up the chicken more.)
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought more vegetables than ever at the grocery store today. Being a 23-year old male with no experience in cooking, I've always gotten easy stuff--sandwich making materials, box and frozen food. So this is a big step for me. I got peppers, onions, carrots, cucumbers, spring mix, and romaine lettuce. The plan is to make my own salad using all the ingredients, and to perhaps cook the peppers and onions for fajitas or something. I've never cooked anything before unless it went in the microwave, so this is a big step too.

I'm really hoping I can just find a nice girl who loves to cook before I invest too much more time in this. (hopefully that's not too sexist)

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:

I'm really hoping I can just find a nice girl who loves to cook before I invest too much more time in this. (hopefully that's not too sexist)

Not at all. I totally plan on marrying some hot chef.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
It's especially non-sexist if you divide the labor such that she cooks and you do the dishes.

Expecting her to cook and then do all the clean-up while you watch TV in the living room smoking a pipe and wearing your bedroom slippers (which she brought you when you walked in the door) might be a problem.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
It's especially non-sexist if you divide the labor such that she cooks and you do the dishes.
Yep.

And also maybe let her teach you how to make a few simple things so if she needs a break or is sick now and then, you know how to do it.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
And sexism aside, guys who do dishes are very, very attractive to women who love to cook.

I suspect this is also true with the genders reversed.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Indeed. [Big Grin]
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

Guys who do dishes are also very, very attractive to women that just can't stand doing the dishes regardless of their feelings about cooking. [Blushing]
I just HATE them. I hate most domestic chores, actually.

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
My ex truly hates doing the dishes. My own personal dish theory is "rinse it out and/or submerge it in water right after you use it". If you rinse it out thoroughly, you can re-use without serious washing. If you submerge it and keep it submerged, you can wait until later to wash it, and it won't have gotten dry/crusty/uncleanable. The big mistake is letting dishes sit for several hours before addressing them. Then a very simple job has become a not-simple job.

Men and women should have to go to cleaning/dishwashing/vacuuming/household budgeting camp or classes before getting married and/or living together, IMO.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

I definitely always rinse my dishes after using them. In my own apartment, it is the unloading that I hate the most. I've always hated putting things away, especially into places much taller than I am.
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband does all of the cooking and I do most of the dishes. It's a good division of labor.

The other part of my job is just as important: ALWAYS appreciate his cooking, and always, every single time he makes me something, even as simple as a sandwich, saying "thank you" and telling him how yummy it is. Always. Without fail.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I've avoided handling raw meat for the last 10 years.

*bows*

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
My husband made a beautiful veggie curry last night while the son and I tidied the house up a bit, and then he helped with all the clean-up to boot. Is it newly wedded bliss, do you suppose? *twinkles*

The eggplant recipes look scrumptious. I can't wait to try them out.

I am going to tailor my next teen nutrition class to "Living on the Edge" when we talk about slow foods vs. fast foods . . . that oughtta snag 'em a bit. *grin*

I luvs Hatrack -- eveyone is such a fabulous wealth of ideas!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
A little off-topic from where this thread has gone, but has anyone read this? It's not necessarily about eating healthy or losing weight (though those topics are touched on), but it does remind me of how this conversation started. I found it an absolutely fascinating approach to what we eat and where it comes from.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
The other part of my job is just as important: ALWAYS appreciate his cooking, and always, every single time he makes me something, even as simple as a sandwich, saying "thank you" and telling him how yummy it is. Always. Without fail.

That's part of my husband's job, too. And I do the same when I'm pregnant and he takes over some of the cooking. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by katdog42:
A little off-topic from where this thread has gone, but has anyone read this? It's not necessarily about eating healthy or losing weight (though those topics are touched on), but it does remind me of how this conversation started. I found it an absolutely fascinating approach to what we eat and where it comes from.

No, I haven't but I should.

I love Kingsolver (mostly.)

Have you read Hungry Planet? My mom has it and I find it amazing. And humbling.

katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hungry Planet" is on my short list of books that I need to read, has been for awhile, I just never seem to get there. I'm glad to hear that it's a good one.

*hurries off to order from library while thinking about it*

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I made that black beans and chicken crockpot recipe I linked to on the previous page. It is delicious, but the brown rice stayed crunchy even though I cooked it forever. I think there needs to be liquid added to that recipe for the rice to absorb. But I repeat: delicious.

And for a meatless legume recipe, the latest 101 Cookbooks has a wonderful looking and sounding lentil soup posted. (Although I don't think I'll be buying saffron threads anytime soon--but I think it would be yummy and beautiful with plain yogurt)

[ January 06, 2008, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Uprooted ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm making veggie soup (actually it's "whatever's in the fridge and cupboards" soup with veggies, rice, and some chicken stock.)
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
We turned that delightful curry my husband made into an even more delightful curry chicken vege rice soup last night. I love reasonable ways to use leftovers.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.