FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » INANE and ABSURD -- Look only if you want to laugh!

Author Topic: INANE and ABSURD -- Look only if you want to laugh!
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
My SIL sent this to me today. It made me chuckle , so I thought I'd share, for anyone who wants a laugh going into the new year.

Not intended for serious discussion, really. Just inanities. [Wink]

Thought #5
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day, teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Thought #4
All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Thought #3
Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200.00 and a substantial tax cut save you $30.00?

Thought #2
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

And . . . Thought #1
We know exactly where one cow with Mad-cow-disease is located among millions and millions of cows in America but we haven't got a clue as to where millions of illegal immigrants and terrorists are located. Maybe we should put the Department of Agriculture in charge of Immigration and Homeland Security.

[ January 02, 2008, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

We know exactly where one cow with Mad-cow-disease is located among millions and millions of cows in America

You hope.
I wouldn't put any money on that though.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's supposed to be funny, but, I do have some comments:

quote:
Thought #5
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day, teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

I used this a couple of weeks ago to demonstrate the importance of people teaching people to use google instead of giving them the answer by googling it themselves. I think it's very applicable to the internet era. This was mine:

Give a person an answer, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to google for themselves, and you feed them for a lifetime.

quote:
And . . . Thought #1
We know exactly where one cow with Mad-cow-disease is located among millions and millions of cows in America but we haven't got a clue as to where millions of illegal immigrants and terrorists are located. Maybe we should put the Department of Agriculture in charge of Immigration and Homeland Security.

The difference is that the terrorists and immigrants don't want to be found. The cows don't care either way (although if they could, I'm sure they wouldn't.)

quote:
Thought #4
All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

I'm not sure this a positive attribute.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, maybe the cow would go, "Well, they're still gonna kill me but at least they won't EAT ME!"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

*giggles at KQ*

I like your take on the feeding/teaching one, Teshi. Much better that way.

As for the rest, I assumed they were meant to be absurd and therefore funny when they were sent to me -- just laugh at 'em. [Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I lost my sense of humour over the break :\
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus when they find they cow, they slaughter the entire herd that goes with it. Somehow I don't see the Ag Department getting a greenlight to kill and burn large groups of immigrants.

And I think there's a disturbing amount of truth to Mucus' "you hope" comment. They don't test near as much of our food supply as you might like, and they allow a lot more toxins and things you wouldn't want to eat than you'd like to know about.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

All right, grumpies. It's a JOKE! Lighten up, already! [Razz] [Big Grin]
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked them. Quite a bit did I enjoy them!
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Plus when they find they cow, they slaughter the entire herd that goes with it. Somehow I don't see the Ag Department getting a greenlight to kill and burn large groups of immigrants.

Hey, if people can be burned at the stake for being witches, why not illegal immigrants?

"What do you burn apart from witches?"

"More witches!"

"Burrrrrrn! Burrrrrrrrrrrrrn!"

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You're no fun anymore.

quote:

Thought #3
Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200.00 and a substantial tax cut save you $30.00?

QFT
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
QFT?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Quantum field theory?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Quoted For Truth
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Quoted For Truth

I wonder if that is a WOW thing, wouldn't surprise me if it is, but then again forum acronyms and terminology spread pretty quickly amongst the various online communities.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Dept of Ag solution to Illegal Immigration and Homeland Security.

"There's a terrorist attempting to pass a bomb through JFK airport. Burn the airport to the ground."

"There's illegal aliens living in LA. Nuke LA"

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

BlackBlade: I think I got it from Fark.com. I love those witty misanthropes.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.