FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Request for help with keyboard weirdness

Author Topic: Request for help with keyboard weirdness
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I often borrow my mother's laptop. There is something about the way I type that keeps triggering some odd keyboard mixup. I'll be typing along and all of a sudden everything is in caps and periods turn into >s and I can't highlight properly and so forth. (Nope, the caps lock key is not on.) This never happens to my mother which is why I say it's my typing.

I have, on occasion, accidentally been able to fix it (for a while I thought alt shift was working as a fix, but not lately). Rebooting doesn't work--at least not by using restart. If I actually shut down and leave it off for a couple of minutes it resets itself and is fine when I turn it back on.

Any ideas about a) what combinations of keys I'm hitting to make this happen or b) what I can do to fix it?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

P.S. I suspect it's something I'm doing with my left pinky and/or nearby finger--seems like that's where my hand position usually is just before things go skewonkers but I haven't been able to figure out just what I'm hitting.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like your shift key is jamming. It's not just a capslock because of the fact that periods are turning into greater-thans. I'm not sure if laptop keyboard keys are designed to pop out for cleaning like a desktop keyboard. Do you have inputs for an external keyboard?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there might be a 'sticky key' feature on the computer, though I really don't know the details of it. I just got a new computer and whenever I would hit the Shift key repeatedly, a message would come up about 'sticky keys' and say that if I hit the Shift five times in rapid succession, it would engage this feature.

In my case, it was because I was holding the Shift Key down until it went into Repeat, at which time it would appear as a rapid succession of Shift key hits.

I suspect if you go the Control Panel -Keyboard there is probably some way to turn this feature off.

You can also do what I did, which is lengthen the delay before 'Repeat' starts, and slow the 'Repeat' speed.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
To deactivate sticky keys you can tap shift five times in rapid succession or tap both shift keys simultaneously.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks, all. I'll look into "sticky keys."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.