FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Caucus!

Author Topic: Caucus!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Except if you're, y'know, a student.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Another reason why I don't like Clinton.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And if the demographic skewed the other way, you don't think who was for and who against would change in a heartbeat?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
2 more days.

I'm about to stop answering the phone or the doorbell, because I'm tired of telling people who I'm caucusing for. Or refusing to commit.

The funny one was a groups of students making the rounds of the neighborhood trying to get people to caucus for Ron Paul. I'm not sure how our house number got on their list, since we're both registered Democrat, but they looked kind of befuddled and took back their literature when I said we'd be at the other caucus.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, excellent article on student voting. I can't say I'm surprised that Clinton or Dodd or anyone who isn't Obama would say that, afterall they want to win, but it's sad that they'd try and disenfranchise perfectly legitimate votes like that.

I think the 'Iowa first' rhetoric is also PRECISELY why Iowa's status as the first voting state needs to go the way of the Dodo. Only Iowa residents get that kind of voice and attention paid to their issues? What about out of state students going to school in Iowa? They have issues too! I hope this story gets onto the major networks so we can shed some light on this.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree that college students should vote where they are from, and not where they are going to school. That is, unless they legally become residents in the college towns and renounce all rights given to citizenship of where they were from. Dual citizenship is too easily a mark for fraud.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Bull. If 90% of your time is spent there, you should have a vote, and the law allows it.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
I have to agree that college students should vote where they are from, and not where they are going to school. That is, unless they legally become residents in the college towns and renounce all rights given to citizenship of where they were from.

Oh, please. If I move to NY for two years, regardless of whether I change over my driver's license or do anything else, I have the right to re-register to vote there (and then re-register in California when I move back two years later).

Besides, the rules for residency in any given state (there's no such animal as "citizenship" of a given state) may vary from that of other states.

You are only allowed to be registered in one state at a time. But that state can be any state in which you currently maintain a legal residence. And college students who choose to register in their college's state meet that criteria.

Moreover, it is only fair that college students be allowed to vote for laws that will almost certainly affect them -- often disproportionately to "locals."

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, for local elections, college students are going to know a lot more about the politicians and issues in the state of their school. Are you saying they should have to research their home state's candidates and turn in absentee ballots for those elections too?
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Rivka on this one. It's ridiculous that they are trying to disenfranchise college students attending school in Iowa.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In 2004, after several students at the College of William & Mary ran for city council in Williamsburg, Virginia, the local register declared four students did not live in town and could not run for office or vote there.
2 of my friends were part of the students at W&M who tried to become more involved with the local politics in Williamsburg. They faced stark opposition, because the only people that live there are hard-nosed old people that resent the college for all its young people.

It turns out that it really was just a stunt for a poly sci class, but when mtv and the national news got a hold of it, they didn't back down.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
I have to agree that college students should vote where they are from, and not where they are going to school. That is, unless they legally become residents in the college towns and renounce all rights given to citizenship of where they were from. Dual citizenship is too easily a mark for fraud.

What, so students should have to fly across country to their hometowns if they want to vote?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

In many states absentee ballots would be an option, but your point stands.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.