FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My girlfriend said something that's really bothering me (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My girlfriend said something that's really bothering me
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
She thinks that pirates would win in a fight against ninjas.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Dinosaurs would eat them both.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I am anti-dinosaur
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Would the fight happen on the seas or on land? That could be the deciding factor.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I guess it's a case of whether honor would win out or dirty fighting . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
robot alien zombies win.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
No they wouldn't.
Ninja would turn pirates into diced pieces.
Even if they were thrown into water from walking the plank as ninja are good swimmers.
Pirates might have guns though. If their powder was wet, ninja might win.
Of course there are ninja death stars to consider and darts. One dart to the hand or barrell of a gun would render the gun useless allowing the ninja to use a ninja jumping technique to quickly destroy the pirate.
*ninja nerd*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shan:
Hmmm. I guess it's a case of whether honor would win out or dirty fighting . . .

Er, which side is supposed to have honor?
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
No they wouldn't.
Ninja would turn pirates into diced pieces.
Even if they were thrown into water from walking the plank as ninja are good swimmers.
Pirates might have guns though. If their powder was wet, ninja might win.
Of course there are ninja death stars to consider and darts. One dart to the hand or barrell of a gun would render the gun useless allowing the ninja to use a ninja jumping technique to quickly destroy the pirate.
*ninja nerd*

That would be cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Chuck Norris?
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:
Would the fight happen on the seas or on land? That could be the deciding factor.

They fight in midair. Neutral ground.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Only Ninjas can fly, so they don't have to worry about walking the plank. Plus, they're the ultimate contradiction, because they are very focused and skilled, but at the same time they don't care.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by calaban:
Um, Chuck Norris?

Only if he has his jeans.
brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by brojack17:

They fight in midair. Neutral ground.
I would think a midair fight would be an advantage to the ninja.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Not if the pirates had any handy rigging around.

I make no bones about my allegiance; I fall firmly on the "pirate" side of this debate. Ninjas might be able to defeat zombie monkeys, but that's about it.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassv746
Member # 11173

- posted      Profile for cassv746   Email cassv746         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
She thinks that pirates would win in a fight against ninjas.

[Dont Know]

I like pirates better because of the Pirates movies. However, the ninja's would win that hands down.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm most definitely in the Ninja Category. I mean, seriously, I'd like to see Pirates have a parade and not be seen.

But just for a serious look at the issues: Linky

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

ad,
I loved the linky. I might have peed a little... yep.

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Which side would have honor . . . ?

Hmmm. Good question.

*ponders*

Dunno.

It'll be fun to find out though, neh?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to side with the Ninjas on this one. Ninjas are far more stealthy than Pirates, who gimp about on peg legs. The Ninjas would overcome the Pirates before they even knew that their pirate ship had been boarded.

You can't sneak up on a Ninja. Especially with a peg leg and rum on your breath.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Brojack already knows all about this site, but the issue was settled long ago.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninjas would win in a fight, but Pirates are cooler.

Or, It would be an Indiana Jones moment. The ninja would be showing off their mad sword skills, then the pirate would shoot them.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
Brojack already knows all about this site, but the issue was settled long ago.

I thought this website had been referenced here before, I should have linked awhile back.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates would win.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course pirates would win. Gun beats sword. I think swords are cooler, but that doesn't change the facts.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Our family has recently become addicted to Ninja Warrior. I don't think Pirates have motivated many people to compete in grueling physical competitions.

Ninjas would win hands down.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cr1spy
Member # 8407

- posted      Profile for Cr1spy   Email Cr1spy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninja Warrior obviously shows falling into water is the end of the Ninja. Therefore, Pirates must win.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Pirates also have swords.

And guns.

And ships.

And cannons.

And gold.

I can't understand why the question was even asked.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ninja Warrior obviously shows falling into water is the end of the Ninja. Therefore, Pirates must win.
[ROFL] You win.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
And gold.

Or rather they don't, or at least not enough of it.

Which is of course only one of a myriad number of ways in which pirates are easily to distract, which is a fatal flaw when fighting an opponent which relies on stealth [Wink]

Of course ninjas *are* overrated Japanese pansies, but pirates? Bah.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
But ninjas have silent killing projectiles like throwing stars and bows and arrows. And don't forget ninjas' mad rope climbing skills!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

If Mu Bai Li and Conan the Barbarian got in a fight, who would Jack Sparrow make the most fun of?
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the Internet polls reading

_ Pirates!
_ Ninjas!

were asking which one you thought was cooler, not which one would beat the other. But I can't believe anyone would think pirates would beat ninjas; I would think that the ninjas could sneak up on pirates and kill them before they had a chance.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

You're wrong.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just going to note for the record: while Conan is obviously not a pirate, Mu Bai Li of Crouching Tiger fame is also not a ninja.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
How To Kill A Mockingbird answers some of these hard questions.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
Ninjas win, obviously.

But the real question of our era is...cavemen vs. astronauts!

Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that in most cases Ninja's are far more deadly than Pirates, while Pirates are much more destructive. While a pirate ship would level a Ninja fortress, one Ninja, a bottle of poison, and a stack of gold would see the stealthy end of the Pirate armada.

The only exception to this rule is "The Dread Pirate Roberts." I mean, no Ninja alive could even begin to harm Wesley.

While Captain Jack could be killed with a bad bottle of rum, or the Ninja created Pirate killer known as "The Pox", only the zombie Pirates from the movies would stand a chance against Ninja's.

And then they'd bring out the zombie Ninja's and it would really get interesting.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
How often do ninjas work in groups? I have never seen a group larger than a dozen. Pirates often convene by the hundreds. I have no doubt that ninjas have superior killing ability, but pirates are not afraid to gang up on anyone. And their sword skills are always underrated. Even the idiot drunkard Sparrow was an excellent fighter.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Remember Jack Sparrow was killed by the Kracken. That was much slower moving than a ninja.

The Dread Pirate Robers is a good example of a possible shift in the possibility of a pirate victory, but he was caught because of his love for Buttercup. He could have easily been killed then, but Prince Humperdink decided to torture him instead. Bad guys can be so dumb.

The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
The Kracken was a huge, merciless monster that could easily kill a ninja as well as a pirate. That isn't even a fair comparison!

I'll concede that The Dread Pirate Roberts is probably the only pirate capable of outwitting a ninja. There is something good to be said for brute force, and pirates can bring that.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
mph wins, for posting that link before I did.

I also think there's an important question being missed here: How many ninjas are we talking about in this match-up? The Law of Diminishing Ninjas states that a large group of ninjas is essentially cannon-fodder, 2-3 ninjas is a significant challenge, but a single ninja is utterly unstoppable.
Pirates, meanwhile, are all about a horde of pirates.
One pirate vs one ninja = Ninja victory
20+ pirates vs 20+ ninjas = splattered ninja guts all over.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ninja's spend decades training in the martial arts, are highly skilled at assasination and intelligence gathering. The above question is best simplified as being whether a Samurai can defeat a Fencer.

I'ld consider that the ferocity and ruthlessness of a Samurai swordsman and ability to withstand pain would be sufficient enough to ge within range to deliver the killing blow. It would not be an easy fight as fencing or piratish dirty fighting would make them inheritenly hard to kill as agility to 'get out of the way' would delay the fight, but then again the Samurai/Ninja only need to get within range then its over, while the cutlass/fencing blade used by Pirates/Fencers does not nessasarily do the same amount of damage.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
-5 to 0

A definitive win for the pirates. And alas for the kittens!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kittens?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by calaban:
Um, Chuck Norris?

[ROFL]

Now, let's not get THAT started.

Because, you know, Richard Dean Anderson would kick his butt.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Kittens?

It only seems fair.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

Shawshank,
You never said. Did you dump her? [Smile]

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Ninjas have the Wu-Tang Clan; 'nuff said.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod*

They lose.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.