FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Installing ubuntu, Pink screen of DEATH!

Author Topic: Installing ubuntu, Pink screen of DEATH!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Really wierd issue, I am installing Ubuntu on a Pentium III, I got to the desktop but had to reboot because I forgots teh mouse, lame.

But anyways whats wierd is that before it loaded Ubuntu of the cd it gave me this error:

202.544000 Buffer I/O error on defice fd0, logical block 0

And some other number but same text error.

Then after that it gave me this wierd colourful pink/grey/brown screen until I hit excape then it loaded the Ubuntu desktop. Wierd.

Also before it has the pink screen of doom(TM) it has this black screen with blinky cursor until it loads the "etc etc etc... [OK]" kernal stuff.

Wierd. Fedora never gave these troubles at school.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Surely there are linux forums out there where this question would be more likely to get you what you're looking for.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

That involves registration, getting to know new people, giving out personal information such as location and email and edging into a entirely new community etc all steps that I don't think I am ready for yet. I know our relationship has been strained but I think we can work through it without going that far.
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
The number is timing info printed by the kernel on all printk messages. They can be turned off in the kernel configuration.

I assume that you are booting directly from the CD and not actually using your floppy drive, because most modern distros don't support booting from a floppy. The kernel is probably probing the floppy drive to check to see if it is there. I would guess that it either isn't, or it may be mis-configured in the BIOS settings. However, unless you actually want to use the floppy drive, you can probably ignore this message.

The garbled screen most likely shows up because the X server switches video modes before putting anything meaningful in the framebuffer. I highly doubt that your pressing the escape key has anything to do with the screen clearing and showing the desktop; that should happen without intervention within a few seconds.

This doesn't happen on Fedora because, as I recall, Fedora uses a graphical boot program that hides the kernel console output and initializes the graphics card long before it is ready for you to log in. Either way is fine, and the brief garbled screen at boot-up is not a symptom of any serious problem.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

formatting of the hard disk froze so i restarted the computer now it thinks linux is installed but will not let me log in with my user account, and the default account logs in but i get an error message about how i was only logged in for 10 seconds then the system reloads Ubuntu so i cant reformat.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

hurray for xp cds with an inbuilt formating tool.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

[Errno 5] Input/output error

Greaaaaat.

Okay the cd I am certain is fine, and the hd is new, could the problem be the cd-rom drive?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any part of this computer that you're sure actually WORKS?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I've finally managed to install Ubuntu but now no program I try to start up works, when I was installing it at 83 or 85% it gave back the I/O error but managed to still complete the install rather then cancel it.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yay I found a Linux Irc channel!!
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! You've found an IRC channel about the second most popular IRC topic ever! [Big Grin]
(The most popular topic being anything related to sex.)

I had similar inconsistent issues with a recent Ubuntu install, Blayne, and it turned out that I needed to burn my Ubuntu disc image at a slower speed to ensure an error-free copy. Have you checked the integrity of your CD with the CD check option given when you first boot off the disc?

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Ubuntu does a disk check on itself automatically, doesn't it? or was that OpenSUse I was messing with....? I don't quite remember. I installed about 6 different distros within a 2 day period, so they're all kinda mashed together.

either way, Once I finally build a tower I'm for sure doing a(n)(K)Ubuntu partition.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

always exactly 1 file wrong. burner slower didnt help with the cd's, trying dvds now as im out of clean cd's.
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
*cringe* you're putting Ubuntu on a DVD? You might as well just do Debian.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

its the only way I can install it as I am out of cd's.
Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
http://xkcd.com/178/
Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, if nothing works, try Ubuntu alternate cd installer. It sure helped me installing Ubuntu in "troublesome software" before.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.