FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Pathetic"?

Author Topic: "Pathetic"?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I read this article today. It's rather sweet, I think. Mental illness is a terrible thing. As unlikely a thing as a genre show providing some small measure of comfort and sweetness to a woman and her husband is uplifting. At least slightly.

Then I made the mistake of reading reactions to this article around the blog-o-sphere.

Sarcastic remarks about how "pathetic" this woman is, how this whole thing just proves life is sad and miserable. We should all just sit down and eat a nice big plate of worms, Buffy sucks, etc.

Gee, guys. But how do you really feel?

Anyway, this just reminded me on why I tend to avoid the comics blogs that allow comments to be posted. The self-loathing bitterness of the average modern comics fan seems to have no limit. They'll mock, bash, and deride anything.

Which I find truly pathetic.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I don't really understand what schizophrenia is. I've heard it's extreme instability.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
The irony of you complaining about bitter comic fans is crushing.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Because I fill my posts with comments about how no one should be allowed to complain but me?

Because saying I don't like what they said is the exact same thing as saying they shouldn't say it?

Because I hate all comics, everywhere?

Because getting ironic amusement out of For Better or For Worse makes me innately a hypocrite?

Or is it because I think Spider-Man and his wife making a deal with the Devil "because divorce is BAD!" is kinda a strange tactic for Marvel to take? [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fallen Rain
Member # 11083

- posted      Profile for Fallen Rain   Email Fallen Rain         Edit/Delete Post 
Schizophrenia is a branch of psychosis, usually characterised by extreme hallucinations and delusions, for instance hearing voices and seeing things and thinking they are people plotting to kill you.

I am right with you, I suffer from mental illness and when I was in hospital for it my nurse and I used Buffy to help me cope with what I was seeing, because she is able to cope with all the terrible things that she sees and it gave me strength when I was afraid. Sorry if I sound pathetic. Anyway this is a terrible story, and I really relate to the women. I haven't read the comments to it that you mention because I think I'll get too angry, but I wanted to say I agree.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
You do NOT sound pathetic. And I love how Buffy is so relatable.

I don't think there is any need to read those worthless comments.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
he married couple quickly discovered “Angel” and “Firefly,” and Jerrod said his wife found role models in characters like Drusilla and River, both of whom suffer from mental disorders.
This paragraph almost made me cry...Just the idea of somebody identifying with River.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Fallen Rain! I love your name. Is it an allusion to anything in particular?

It reminds me of the Radiohead song Paranoid Android in the middle part when he sings "Rain down, rain down, come on rain down on me .... from a great height..."

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, How is that pathetic?
I thought it was wonderful, them putting her into the story or was I reading it wrong?
I shouldn't read and watch tee vee at the same time.
How does that prove that life is miserable? It's difficult, you do your best and don't go on about how miserable it is. That's really a bit more pathetic than this story...
Urg.

Red Rain comes to mind

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.