FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Me - 2008

Author Topic: New Me - 2008
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I’d joined Spark People a couple weeks ago. I liked the idea of the site. I liked the information they’ve made available for their users. I just don’t like the site itself. The forum format drives me crazy and the quest for spark points is being abused, by me. I find myself making it into a game. I’ve skimmed over important health related articles, just for the points. That type of encouragement doesn’t work for me on the level that I need it to.

I recently received a bad report from my family doctor. I’ve been taking Yaz for hormonal reasons. He’s recommended I go off them because my bad cholesterol (242/183) has gone up, again. My good cholesterol is really good, so at least I have that. I don’t relish the idea of getting off of Yaz, even though I realize it’s the right thing for me to do. He’s also recommended for the past few visits that I lose weight. It has crept up on me, and haunted me for the last 10 (15 if I’m being honest, which is hard) years. I’m a few steps away from being diabetic. I’ve had issues with kidney stones and gallstones, and have even had my Gallbladder removed. I’ve felt like crap and have had no energy for years.

I’m sick and tired of my family complaining that they’re sick and tired of me being sick and tired.

My diet for the past couple of years has been just plain junky. I crave dairy products and red meat. My favorite meal is a steak salad, medium-rare, loaded with cheese, sour cream, salsa, and all kinds of fat-loaded products on top. Now, I realize that this type of salad can be made heart-friendly, but that’s not the way I like to eat it. I love Stella Artois, anything mixed with vodka or tequila and red wine. I drink coffee like a crazy person. I’ve not been a friend to myself because of the over indulgence of the above.

I went off Yaz two days ago. I’ve been eating raw and steamed veggies, dried and fresh fruits, macadamia nuts and almonds. I’ve only had fish and chicken as far as meat goes. I’ve been eating cheerios and oatmeal. I’ve been drinking sodium free seltzer water with lemon and coffee with fat-free milk. I’ve not had any red meat, dairy products or alcohol at all for the past two days.

I bought some Apple Pectin, which is reportedly good for binding the fats in your food, so that you don’t absorb as much. I purchased a pretty high culture count acidophilus supplement to take three times a day.

I’ve walked on the tread mill for 15 minutes at a time for the last two days. It’s not much, but I figure I’m going to work my way up, physically and mentally.

Would you believe that I already feel an amazing difference? It’s been a powerful mental boost for me. I can only imagine how much better I’ll feel in one week, one month, or one year, if I stick to this radical, yet not so bad, change of thinking and behaving.

My body’s been telling me that it needs more, needs better. I’m going to try to listen to it, one day at a time. I realize that I’ll have my downs, I always do. I just have to get through them and keep staying in awe of the way it’s helping me in the long run.

If I can do it, anyone can!

*changed title & deleted the green posting stuff*

[ January 27, 2008, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Sounds awesome, Tammy. Good luck.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Thank you, ElJay!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be rooting for you, both here and on the Spark group! [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Thanks Goody.

I'm not sure I'll be keeping up on the Spark group. I can't seem to get into it.

Is it really working for you? What are you using the most of on that site? Maybe I'm just not using it properly.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What great things you are doing!! I also had problems with oral contraceptives raising my cholesterol (though I did fine with NuvaRing). I joined Spark People a while ago. Though I don't play around with it much, I like reading the articles and recipes (they have some I really like). I hope this new beginning will be the start of all kinds of great things for you!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with your "new you" plan! I was a bit shocked at my precipitious weight gain the month before last. I made little changes-- just little ones, here and there, opting for a salad over fries, the lo-cal dressing instead of ranch, etc., etc.-- and gained NOTHING this month, according to my doctor's scale! Hooray! (Baby is still growing normally, I just burned some of that excess fat I put on!) So while I know how hard that initial leap is to make (I did NOT want to give up the cookies-and-milk-for-lunch idea), you may be surprised how fast you start to feel better. Hopefully things will go well for you!

And I think you should mark this post a landmark so it gets archived when we're done with it. It has that kind of feel. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

ludosti - Thanks! As far as oral contraceptives go, I only needed them for the hormonal balance they were supposed to be providing me. I do believe they helped, a lot! I had a tubal ligation over a 100 years ago, so I don't need them for birth control. I was just experiencing some heavy duty hormonal ups and downs, mostly downs. The doctor wants me to keep track of how I'm feeling during the next couple of months, and we'll go from there. My goal is to not have to start up any other kind of medication. My parents are 58 & 63, and they are not on any medications at all. That's my goal.

I need to check out the recipes at Spark People!

kq - I thank you! [Smile] The little changes add up quickly, that's what I'm finding out! I need to keep that in mind and not get a head of myself. I jumped on the treadmill a little bit ago, with a book. I ended up walking for an hour, over two miles and burned around 320 calories, or so the machine said. When I stepped off the treadmill I was wobbly and dizzy. I need to remember to be balanced. You're carrying a baby around, so normal weight gain is good! I understand about the fat burn, but a little of the right kind of fat is definitely necessary!

Hmmmm, I suppose that would be a big committment jump, turning this into a landmark post. We'll see. [Smile]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be great to not need any medications!! Hopefully the positive changes in your lifestyle will be reflected in your hormones as well!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.