FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » On the Nature of Science

Author Topic: On the Nature of Science
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen this YouTube video?

How It All Ends: Nature of Science (pt 1 of 3)

What do you think about it?

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty neat. He seems like a good physics teacher.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
nice hat
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I've read "On the Nature of Things"
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
From the video:
quote:
If we’re talking abut the meaning of life then science can be informative but it is just one tool of many, equally valid ones like faith, love and direct experience, but when we’re talking about trying to predict and manipulate the physical world, I think that science is our best bet. It certainly has got by far the best success rate. […Carl Sagan quote…] So I’m not worshiping at the altar of science, I’m just saying, that it has got by far the best track record for figuring out what happened, what is happening and what is going to happen in the physical world.
Do you agree with this? Is science good enough at revealing the physical world, the way it was, is, and will be, or do we need, for that activity in particular, to use more tools? If so, which ones?

quote:
It’s a well established psychological phenomenon, and it’s in fact entirely human, to start out with your beliefs and then go looking for the evidence to support them. The problem is, we tend to forget we’re simply not going to hear the evidence that contradicts our beliefs. I mean, who wants to be shown that they’re wrong? Formally that phenomenon is called Confirmation Bias.
How much do you think that scientific activity is affected by this “entirely human” bias? What do you do when you think that some scientific conclusion was affected by it? Is there a feasible way to eliminate that effect entirely (in science)? Do the mechanisms already in place in the scientific community do a reliable job of it, or do we have to just partially trust them and always question the scientific results?

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.