FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Summer time, and the terminating is easy

Author Topic: New column: Summer time, and the terminating is easy
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Summer time, and the terminating is easy

Hey kids! Look! It’s another great new show that brings back a beloved pop culture icon from years past and revitalizes it into something new and cool and wow!

So far we seem to be batting about .250 on beloved pop culture remakes. Planet of the Apes should have stuck with the first 30 movies and avoided the recent version. The first two Addams Family movies worked, the third was just sad. The King Kong remake in 1976 was a joke* but Peter Jackson’s 2005 remake was pretty good. Almost every movie based on a classic TV show -- Bewitched, Starsky and Hutch, I Spy -- has been, and I’m being kind, vomitous. In comics, the remake of Spider-Man as a kid again in the alternate universe “Ultimate Spider-Man” comic was a huge success, while last week’s revamp of his main book so that he’s younger, carefree, and somehow never married despite 22 years of continuity has angry fans ready to storm Manhattan and web Spidey editor Joe Quesada’s head to a lamp post. Battlestar Galactica totally worked. And this year The Bionic Woman burst on the scene and dynamically failed to catch on, just in time for this Sunday’s premiere of a new TV show based on the Terminator franchise, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Should we bother watching?

Yes.

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
after T3, im not sure iw ant to give Terminators another chance. ill wait and see what ppl say after the first 5 or 6 eps.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
There won't be many episodes, thanks to the strike.

(And yeah. I saw the weird 80s King Kong sequel as some local channel's weekend movie years ago. As I recall, it was very bloody.)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
krynn, that's the beauty of the new series: They're ignoring T3 completely! You know, just like all the fans did. That movie just never happened. Oh sure, the producers say something about it being an alternate timeline from the series that got split off by all the people and terminators travelling back to change things, but I think we all know that's code for "That movie sucked so we're ignoring it."

Good column as always, Chris!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Alas, the movie franchise is not ignoring T3.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't even seen all of T3. Just a small handful of scenes that seemed rather... well, silly.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
". . . only to see if explained moments later."

I still don't want to see it, but you came a lot closer to getting me interested than all the ads did! [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Premiere was last night, 2nd ep is tonight. What did you guys think?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. Summer was wonderful, as expected. Just hope that they don't try a romance between her and John.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I liked it. It was trash, but it was fun trash.

The explanation for how they can set it in the present day and still have John as a teenager was predictable but nifty.

The Sarah Conner Chronicles doesn't really fit as the sub-title. She has yet to seem like the main character of the show.

I think it's too late to avoid the inevitable romance. The chip-sharing scene was obvious short-hand for establishing their nascent attraction.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I think tonight's will help a lot. The first one set up the situation, the second one sets up the direction. And it has a great deadpan line from Summer I love.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I hope Sarah's fiance doesn't turn up much. He seemed to be the only performer not getting into the spirit of things.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed T3. Of course, I went into it with low expectations. It was a simple, mindless action flick, and I had fun watching it.

Saw the show last night, and I did enjoy it. My only real issue was Summer's delivery of "come with me if you want to live".

But that's just me being nit-picky.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
I "actually enjoyed T3" too. Claire Danes came across strong and dependable. The eeriness of their fate at the end felt right. Terminator Salvation in 2009?
Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been in this thread five times, know what it's about, and still, every time I come to Hatrack, I do a double-take at the title, thinking, "why doesn't an abortion thread have more posts?"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.