Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Dad

Author Topic: My Dad
shathias
Member # 11434

- posted      Profile for shathias           Edit/Delete Post 
died this past Monday morning. I am 31 years old and I don't know how I will get along with out him. Much less my mom. There are no words. My brother and I have been at her house the entire time, but we have to leave tomorrow and go back to work. For those of you who pray, please pray for my family.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
(((shathias)))
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, shathias.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry as well, shathias. I'll be thinking of you and your family.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
shathias, I'm so sorry. Was this unexpected or the result of a long illness? I'll pray for you and wish you all peace.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
((((shathias))))

I'm so sorry.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, shathias.

I lost my dad last summer and I don't know how to get along without him either.

I will pray for you.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry for your loss.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
(((shathias)))
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences to you and your family. I wish for strength and comfort for you and your family.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry! You are in my prayers.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no good age to lose a parent, but 30s is very early.

I'm so sorry your family is dealing with this.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry for your loss, shathias. [Frown]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
My sincere condolences for your loss. You remind me to value my own father all the more, thanks.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I am very sorry. [Frown]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about it. You have our condolences.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences, thoughts, and prayers are with you and your family.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad died over ten years ago. There still isn't a day when I don't think of him. There still are occurances when I start to reach for the telephone to call him, then remember. I also usually remember what he would have told me too. Keep your Dad's memory warm. He still can be a great help to you.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
shathias, I have been keeping you in mind. There were three things I wanted to add here:

1. This site is filled with people who would love to read your memories and stories about your father and family, if that sort of thing is something you are interested in sharing. Only if it is good for you, of course, but you should be aware that this would not only be okay, but welcomed, and for as long as you would like to do so.

2. I do not know what your experience is or will be, but I recall that my overwhelming reaction to the loss of my father was something that Artemisia noted -- it was repeatedly an ache to remember all over again that he was gone. Since he was part of the warp and weft of my world, I kept having to rerealize that loss in different contexts. It felt very much like walking down a set of stairs and reaching for the bannister, only to catch myself from falling because it was gone. That sudden loss of balance, the jerk back, that gasp, that lingering sense of vulnerability. This lasted for over a year.

3. katharina (a.k.a. Javert Hugo) has said that it often takes a year and a change after a major loss for things to really start to heal at a deep level. You go through all the yearly anniversaries without for the first time, and then with a large change (such as a move, new job, marriage, etc.), you have an element of redefining yourself as a new person. I don't know if it will work this way for you, but it is sometimes helpful to know that it can take other people a very long time to get over similar losses.

I hope you have family and friends around for you, and I hope you can manage to treat yourself kindly in the midst of this. That can be so difficult to do.

[ January 14, 2008, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I echo CT. You will not be speaking into a void, should the need/desire to share arise. My prayers are with you and your loved ones.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. Peace to you and your family.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shathias
Member # 11434

- posted      Profile for shathias           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, this is amazing. You all have responded with so much kindness to someone you don't even know. Even more so than some of my off-line friends. Thank you so much. Just reading this has touched my heart. I am not ready to talk about it just yet, but when I am ready, I am thankful for such a caring community to share with.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.