FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » One dream fulfilled...

Author Topic: One dream fulfilled...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased a bass guitar and an amp from one of my friends. I bought The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass Guitar. And I am slowly teaching myself how to play the bass guitar.

I've wanted to learn how to play bass for quite some time now. And I'm really excited that I have this opportunity. Besides, I didn't spend a whole lot of money on it. So, if I can't play it after all, I won't be out a whole lot of cash.

Maybe I'll form a band. [Wink]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go! Beat on that thing. Check out Youtube as a great tool for learning as well.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
Maybe I'll form a band. [Wink]

May I suggest a band name?

'Avengers Assemble'

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I like that. I've actually got a ton of band names and album covers that I've designed but haven't used.

Now's my chance. Plus, I've got a bunch of lyrics I've written too.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started playing bass too. It was my New Years Resolution!

Its alittle tricky because I can't afford to buy my own right now so I only get to practice on the weekends with my boyfriend's bass and slightly damaged amp (it buzzes alot.)

Mostly I've just been getting used to strumming and moving my hand up and down the strings. I have tiny hands so I've been doing alot of repetitive scales to get my pinkie used to reaching for some of the frets. I just ordered a book called "Bass Fitness" which should have some good exercises to improve my speed and dexterity.

Let me know if you like the "Complete Idiot's Guide." I was looking at it for awhile but wasn't sure if it was what I wanted.

I did buy a Barenaked Ladies songbook which will hopefully include the bass tabs so that I can play something I love and not get too bored practicing scales.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you're taking my advice, Shanna. And good for you Steve. Not to sound elitist, but non-musicians are missing out on a whole world of reasons for living... I guess everyone from wine enthusiasts to mountain climbers would say the same. What kind of music are you looking to learn, Steve?
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I don't exactly have huge hands either, so my pinky getting challenged.

As for the kind of music I'd like to learn? Just about anything as long as it is considered rock and roll music. I figured I'd start easy on some rock songs while I was teaching myself the basics out of the book.

Right now, I can kind of play the intro to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. The bass tabs are pretty easy.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.