FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best films of 2007

Author Topic: Best films of 2007
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
This would be my personal top ten of 2007.

1. The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
2. Zodiac
3. Darjeeling Limited
4. I'm Not There

5. 3:10 To Yuma
6. The Mist
7. No Country For Old Men

8. Once
9. Juno
10. Superbad

That top 4, those are the films, I guess, that I considered to be high art, the ones where I left the theater feeling kind of amazed at the experience. I felt that way throughout 'Once' but the ending aggravated me so it fell down a bit.

I missed (but wanted to see, and still will) these movies:

There Will Be Blood
Atonement
Ratatouille
Lars And The Real Girl
Into The Wild
Sunshine
Charlie Wilson's War
Walk Hard

Last year, when I made my best of 2006 list I still hadn't seen Stranger Than Fiction, so I had to amend the list later on. This might be similar... In particular I am SO excited about 'There Will Be Blood' but it hasn't come to my city yet.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap, I usually do a top 10 too. I don't remember everything I saw last year, but Atonement would have easily been in the top three. It was utterly amazing. Great visuals, fantastic acting, music that matched perfectly, a tracking shot that blew me away, and a story that is utterly heart wrenching and torturous.

I might try and compile a list tomorrow.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Please do, I really enjoy these. I kept waiting for someone to start a thread but no one did this year...
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
My top 10:

1. Once
2. Juno
3. Perfume: the Story of a Murderer (it was in 2007 when it came to Rochester)
4. Lars and the Real Girl
5. Paris, je t'aime (again, 2007 when I saw it)
6. Wind that Shakes the Barley
7. Day Watch
8. Black Snake Moan
9. Sweeney Todd
10. Hot Fuzz

(more or less)

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
In no particular order:

Bridge to Terabithia

Amazing Grace

Meet the Robinsons

Hot Fuzz

Waitress

Surf's Up

Ratatouille

Hairspray

3:10 to Yuma

Dan in Real Life

Martian Child

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Enchanted

The Orphanage

A special "Best Gun-Toting Werewolf Grannie" award goes to Skinwalkers.

And a best use of "Cool Beans!" award goes to Hot Rod.

Finally, a thank you to TMNT for actually featuring the title characters first and foremost instead of a bunch of insanely unimportant new characters. [Wink]

I have not yet had to chance to see Once, Atonement, Persepolis, Juno, or There Will Be Blood.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
The Kite Runner

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scorpio
Member # 9502

- posted      Profile for Scorpio   Email Scorpio         Edit/Delete Post 
I might get around to making a list sometime, but I'm not sure what the point would be. Nothing I've yet seen comes close to Juno. It is among the most loveable movies I have ever seen.

This was a crappy summer to work at a movie theatre. [Frown]

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Alright! I have it. I saw 45 movies this year, and this is what I culled from them as the best, or at least as the ones I enjoyed the most.

Now, I'll list the movies I wanted to see but missed at the end of the post, and I think several of them could have made my top ten list had I seen them.

But having not seen them:

1. Atonement - Easily the best movie of the year. You read my short summation above, the soundtrack was amazing, the visuals stunning, the acting and writing top notch, and a story that will last decades and never get old.

2. 3:10 to Yuma

3. Pan's Labyrinth Might not be 2007 for everyone, but it didn't hit theaters near me until mid-January of 2007.

4. National Treasure 2 - It's a fun romp. And the perfect movie for a history geek like me (who as I sit here is wearing an "I Heart History" t-shirt).

5. Elizabeth the Golden Age - Great acting, Cate Blanchett is amazing, and gave me actual chills at several points. Nice effects during the battle, amazing costumes that really made the period come alive. And just a great story to boot.

6. Hot Fuzz

7. Enchanted - Fun, good acting, musical, and with a lead actress I have a huge crush on.

8. Bridge to Terebithia - Another movie with a lead actress I have a huge crush on, and in this case an even bigger crush, as Zooey Deschanel is my future wife. It's a great story, which of course the book was, and the kids are great actors. And I came very close to crying, it was done so well.

9. 1408 - Now generally I hate horror movies, or at least, I don't respect them enough to ever put them on any kind of best of the year list, but 1408 really freaked me out. I think it was a great psychological thriller, it wasn't one dimensional slasher like most of them are these days. It might be that the Saw movies have lowered the bar, but I loved this one.

10. American Gangster - The only thing I didn't like is that Denzel Washington only seems to know how to play one role, sort of like Hugh Grant, only not funny. He plays the role well, but man, I'd love to see him break out and try something new.

Now a little list, the worst three movies of the year:

1. Lions for Lambs - Ugh! it was a 90 minutes lecture that I had to PAY for! And it wasn't even good as a guilt trip! If Robert Redford wanted to try to guilt trip me, he should send me an email, not make money off it.

2. 28 Weeks Later - I liked the original, but the sequel, well, first off isn't it cliched that they always make a decision or two that in real life we'd NEVER make but always seem to get the ball rolling on THE DESTRUCTION OF MANKIND? Stupid. Other than that, it takes the first movie and devolves it into average, run of the mill slasher fair.

3. Seraphim Falls

The list of movies that I missed but wanted to see:

Zodiac
The Wind that Shakes the Barley
In the Land of Women
Snowcake
Jindabyne
Waitress
Paris, je t’aime
Ratatouille
Hairspray
Becoming Jane
Eastern Promises
Across the Universe
The Darjeeling Limited
Juno
There Will Be Blood
Persepolis

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Eastern Promises
Into The Wild
Knocked Up

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw hardly any movies this year. Even if I'd seen dozens, I know Juno would still be my favorite. It's just my kind of movie.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Puffy has listed several that I also loved in Waitress, Surf's Up, and Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. They would probably be 11-13 if I extended my list.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved MMWE and was annoyed that it got such poor press. It was a sweet film.

Seriously, guys? Nobody else liked The Kite Runner?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam_S
Member # 9695

- posted      Profile for Adam_S   Email Adam_S         Edit/Delete Post 
1. The Lives of Others
2. Atonement
3. Juno
4. Bridge to Terabithia
5. Assassination of Jesse James
6. Eastern Promises
7. Ratatouille
8. Knocked Up
9. Waitress
10. Bourne Ultimatum

Posts: 128 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Finally saw Into the Wild.

It was interesting. I'm not sure how I felt about the end. It was sad that, after all the people he met told him that you needed other people to really enjoy life, he didn't believe them until it was too late.

Good acting though, even if it was a bit minimalist in the dialogue.

Personally I was always struck by how much he seemed to hurt the people he encountered much more than he himself was hurt by them. Everyone he met up with he touched, and I think they all loved him when he left, and they were all hurt but despite his fondness for them, at the time he thought he could do without them, and thought solitary adventure was better. Everyone knew but him, and when he learned the thing they'd been telling him throughout the entire movie, it was over before he could get back to them to enjoy it. And by such a narrow margin.

It's ironic, and tragic, and compelling.

kanelock
Member # 10982

- posted      Profile for kanelock           Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed Cloverfield. I thought it was a great concept, and it was pulled off rather well.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I can never remember what movies I've seen in a given year, making lists like this impossible for me to compile properly.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I make a list throughout the year, and usually write down my thoughts on them as I go.

I'm way behind on movies this year so far though.

It used to be easier, when my best friend worked at a movie theater and we saw them all for free. Paying is sooooo overrated.

Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I posted, I hadn't seen Atonement... that's the best movie of the year. [Smile]
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see too many movies last year, but I liked "Rocket Science."
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
After the Wedding - Rolf Lassgard's scenes push the story along and are believable, his trajectory of intimidation and vulnerability have my concern. Susanne Bier's Brothers and Open Hearts were awkward to accept and am asking myself to push past my hesitancy for Things We Lost in the Fire.

Lars and the Real Girl - I envision this without a Margo character despite all the charming scenes of Ryan and Kelli moving toward one another.

Ratatouille - repairing the soup and that first bite of ratatouille; this is the best repeat viewing film.

Gone Baby Gone - Patrick Kenzie's determined choice at the end was a reward.

Hott Fuzz - loved the film and the montage of his perfect cop routine in the city and disinterested to see Run Fat Boy, Run...

Meet The Robinsons - "Ring my bell." This film is all-over fun except Bowler Hat Guy commentary.

Rocket Science - I was pleased with the comeback trope.

American Gangster - would you rate Tom Hank's character in Big as something new for Denzel? He has been in many "I'm solving this!" roles, but seen his characters laugh and surprised and fearful too. Crowe's custody battle is a good distraction from Glory and Tumble of Drug Lord.

Bridge to Terabithia - I felt the wonder and joy he provides for his younger sister; his clueless parents disturbed me: throw away torn and taped shoes for sister's old pinks, cheap racing track instead of running shoes for his birthday.

Dan in Real Life writes a column but creates chaos with life decisions. So, the story bothered me and the actors still provided interest. I didn't view Dane Cook by persona but as the young brother and felt the same with his character in Mr Brooks: aware that he is a comedian but never watched/avoided his perfomance discs and dvds, unlike Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy and Jim Carrey.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Personally I was always struck by how much he seemed to hurt the people he encountered much more than he himself was hurt by them. Everyone he met up with he touched, and I think they all loved him when he left, and they were all hurt but despite his fondness for them, at the time he thought he could do without them, and thought solitary adventure was better. Everyone knew but him, and when he learned the thing they'd been telling him throughout the entire movie, it was over before he could get back to them to enjoy it. And by such a narrow margin.

I read the book, haven't seen the movie so far. I'm a bit ambivalent on the guy, as the novel is. Mccandless seemed to be, to me, a rather severe narcissist, who compensated for his self-involvement by shaming the people around him, and making them care for him in the way that he cared for himself. There was nothing in Krakouer's narrative to suggest that he gave very much thought, beyond what formalities were necessary, to anyone else he met, other than to impress upon them his superiority and his supposed lack of interest in their approval. I just didn't buy that he was so great an individual, despite the pretty incredible things he managed to do.

What bothered me about the novel was that it, perhaps in keeping with Mccandless himself, was never able to pin down its feelings on anything. That made it strangely affecting, but the novel does not attempt to paint him in a particularly favorable light. It points out much of the criticism its subject garnered, and itself criticizes the idea of Mccandless as uniquely superior, or even as particularly important.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I've yet to see Atonement, Once, Into the Wild and many others, but from what I've seen I've liked best:

1. Juno - maybe not the deepest story but Page was an excellent choice for the lead role and the whole movie was one of the most lovable I've ever seen

2. 3:10 to Yuma - a great new-old western (it's a remake after all)

3. American Gangster - Denzel was magnificent, paranoia included. [Smile] And Crowe was an almost equal match for him.

4. There Will Be Blood - just an awesome performance from Daniel Day-Lewis

5. Michael Clayton - liked it better than Clooney's previous "serious" role I've seen in Syriana. Very interesting conscience raiser.

6. Music and Lyrics - great comedy/drama, and I even liked Drew Barrymore in it. [Smile]

Were ok:

- Bourne Ultimatum - same ol', same ol'
- Gone Baby Gone - I don't like Casey Affleck's acting, otherwise I thought it was pretty good.
- I Am Legend - good, but not great; nothing that stood out in it
- National Treasure - ok for a popcorn movie
- No Country for Old Men - nice cinematography, not much of a story...
- Ocean's Thirteen - popcorn again...

I didn't like:

- The Assassination of Jesse James - the style was just too weird... Agonizing pacing too.
- Boarding Gate - that was one really bad movie. Don't see it, it's boring, stupid crap.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Orincoro -

I don't really disagree. I think if I would have met him in real life I would have thought he was a bit of a dick who was way too self involved and far too critical of other people's lives. He chose to go wild and live off the land, and criticized a lot of people around him for not doing the same when it seems like most of them didn't even want to, so I guess he was criticizing their lack of desire as well.

But that's the tragedy in my mind. These people all found something compelling either in his personality or his entusiasm, or whatever, but he was far too self involved to return their feelings, and not only didn't return them, he shunted them aside as unimportant and that they were somehow inferior for being so tied to human to human connections.

SPOILER

It wasn't until at the very end, where he was alone and with no hope of surviving the situation he'd gotten himself into that he realized the value of human connections, and by then it was far too late. I don't think he himself understood how much he got out of his relationships with the people he met along the way.

UNSPOILER

But yeah, I agree. His life is interesting, and maybe in a way we can all be envious of the fact that he went after and lived his dream, even if his dream isn't what we'd pick for ourselves, but that doesn't mean I'd want to have a beer with him.

BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think one of the best movies out there was the poorly promoted but stellarly acted

"The Lookout"

with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jeff Daniels.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0427470/

It's in video stores now and WELL WORTH a look.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.