FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Has anyone here tried the P90X system?

Author Topic: Has anyone here tried the P90X system?
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hatrack, it's me, the lurker! [Wave]

Yeah, I read posts here all the time and usually don't post anything - but I have lots of respect for the opinion and idea's of the Hatrack community. Maybe I'm just being selfish and taking all the great advice and humor without sharing, but the truth is I don't feel like I have too much to contribute anyway.

Except when I have the occasional question, then I totally expect everyone to answer it. Duh!

Anyways, I'm an overweight male in my early twenties (6'1 - 205 lbs) and with goals and whatnot of the new year I've been thinking about becoming more fit. I've seen the infomercials for the P90X workout system and they look pretty good, but I don't know anybody who's actually tried it.

I'm not very athletic and have never been considered "fit" (always been kind of soft) although I can run a mile without dying and run/walk several. The catch phrase of P90X is "get ripped in 90 days." Seeing as how I never really have gone to the gym or lifted weights, I wanted to see if a program like this is even possible for me, and to see if anyone here has tried it or known of someone who has.

It costs something like $200 (not including equipment you need to buy for it -resistance bands, dumbells and a pullup bar), so I want to be sure about it before I plop down that kind of money.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You aren't THAT overweight...I weigh close to that and I am 5'6".

THAT is overweight.....

[Frown]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Spam again!?

Why, Hatrack? Can't they find some other place to dump their garbage?

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not likely Spam....not with a date of 2005. [Smile]

Although I did check myself. [Smile]

No offense meant, of course. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
Spam again!?

Why, Hatrack? Can't they find some other place to dump their garbage?

Hey - I'm serious!

I just wanted to hear of a real success story somewhere and was hoping somebody at hatrack might have had experience with the program.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. You're right, Kwea.

My sincere apologies, Sm34rz. I believe you are not a bot. I'm very sorry for my mistake.

To reduce my embarrassment I will say that I thought it was the craftiest spam ever.

I must now go commit hari kari to restore my tainted honor. Farewell, Hatrack.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
Oops. You're right, Kwea.

My sincere apologies, Sm34rz. I believe you are not a bot. I'm very sorry for my mistake.

To reduce my embarrassment I will say that I thought it was the craftiest spam ever.

I must now go commit hari kari to restore my tainted honor. Farewell, Hatrack.

No offense taken. Us lurkers just learn to deal with this kind of stuff from "regulars" all the time! [Wink]

That would be clever spam, though. No links. Just the enticement... [Big Grin]

Oh, and no ritualistic suicide please, that's just... gross.

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't buy the system from the company...since personally, it seems rather overpriced for a set of DVDs...with no actual equipment.

However, I did a google search that brought me to ebay, and people are selling the DVDs for a couple of bucks.

It is quite possible that these are ripped or something (though some of the auctions claim otherwise), but it might give you a chance to see if it is worth buying.

and people on amazon.com seemed to like it...so who knows, maybe it is worth while.

[ January 16, 2008, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I saw a P90 on Stargate
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a P90 with 16 MB of RAM and a 10 gig hard drive. Or was it 1 gig? It may have been. In any case, it was bleeding edge back in 1994.

Sm3, I initially thought you were a spammer as well. My assumption was that you were setting up the first post in the thread as bait, and would be springing the trap with a links to positive reviews of the product, as well as a link to a place where we could buy one of our very own. I've seen that pattern used by spammers before, some of them right here, and your post read (and really, still reads) that way to me. I didn't think that you were a spambot, but I've read about a growing marketing trend in which companies pay people to establish identities in forums like this one expressly so that when they eventually drop product recommendations they'll be seen as coming from a friend or acquaintence rather than a stranger or a company--fewer defenses to cut through to deliver the pitch, that way. I assumed that the fairly old registration date fit into that sort of a plan.

That said, I believe you that you aren't a spammer of either the fleshy or robotic type.

So, welcome to Hatrack (a few years late)!

quote:
the truth is I don't feel like I have too much to contribute anyway.
Naah, that almost certainly isn't the case (I mean, I believe that you feel that way, but I don't think you're right); everybody has their own perspective and range of opinions and experiences, and they're worthwhile. You're clearly articulate, so relating them won't be a problem from a mechanical standpoint. Tell us a bit more about yourself! How did you come to find Hatrack? Did you lurk long before creating your account? Who are some of your favorite authors? What sorts of things do you enjoy doing when you're not lurking here?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Not likely Spam....not with a date of 2005. [Smile]

Although I did check myself. [Smile]

No offense meant, of course. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Sm3, I initially thought you were a spammer as well. My assumption was that you were setting up the first post in the thread as bait, and would be springing the trap with a links to positive reviews of the product, as well as a link to a place where we could buy one of our very own. I've seen that pattern used by spammers before, some of them right here, and your post read (and really, still reads) that way to me. I didn't think that you were a spambot, but I've read about a growing marketing trend in which companies pay people to establish identities in forums like this one expressly so that when they eventually drop product recommendations they'll be seen as coming from a friend or acquaintence rather than a stranger or a company--fewer defenses to cut through to deliver the pitch, that way. I assumed that the fairly old registration date fit into that sort of a plan.

Of course, he could have been sent back in time to 2005 to setup an accound and skipped through time to make a few posts.

Be careful Sm, you could send us all down an alternate path into the future. [Smile]

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
SM3rZ
Yes it does work but there is time commitment you will need to make, about an hour or two everyday. IF you can spend the time and commit yourself to the workout you will see results. It is very hard though so keep that in mind

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you need to spend the money, at least initially. I believe my boyfriend checked the P90x DVDs out from either Netflix or Blockbuster.

He's been doing them pretty faithfully and it is working for him. The announcer guy drives me bonkers and I'll sit on the couch and make fun of the announcer guy while Steve's working out.

But they really do use more ordinary people, and show several levels of the same activity, including a guy that has an artifical leg.

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, you can use very light weights like say 0.5 L water bottles to begin with, and not have to buy anything at all initially either. I think some of the exercises I'd want to do without weights or only very light weights for several days before you add weights.

In other words by the time you really would need the weights you'd know if the system was going to work for you or not.

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

Thanks the replies, everybody. I've decided to hold off on buying the DVD's though. Googling P90X led me to some reviews, which basically say that if you aren't it good athletic shape already, this system wont do too much for you. It's meant for those who had an "athletic base" and wish to return to it. I also found out that there's a fitness test that you should be able to pass. Which I don't, so I'll have to work up to it I guess.

quote:
... Tell us a bit more about yourself! How did you come to find Hatrack? Did you lurk long before creating your account?
Well, I think I was googling Ender's Game or Orson Scott Card, geez, I must have been around 14 or 15. We had just gotten AOL at home and the internet was still cool. I think I lurked for about 2-3 years before creating an account before I went on my mission in 2003 (Yeah, I'm LDS). I don't even remember the name of that account, probably because I didn't post too much.

When I got back in 2005, I made another account, but still mostly lurked except for a few occasional posts. I'm pretty well versed in hatrack, um... -isms. Hatrackisms. So I already know what a Dobie, Mayfly and being "real" are. [Smile]

quote:
Who are some of your favorite authors?
Some of my favorite authors are Orson Scott Card (of course!), JRR Tolkien, JK Rowlings, Lloyd Alexander, Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, CS Lewis and Charles Dickens. My favorite genres are Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

I was around 12 when I read Ender's Game. My dad enjoys reading and would always be buying new books for the bookshelf. It caught my eye one morning and I started to read it. I started at 6:00am and was so into it that I didn't stop till 6:00pm that night! It was the first book I had ever read in one day. My second favorite Orson Scott Card book is The Worthing Saga.

quote:
What sorts of things do you enjoy doing when you're not lurking here?
Oh... I just lurk. [Wink]

I probably do spend too much time here (and on the internet in general) but I like to read, draw, play video games/board games (both which are much more fun with other people - especially board games [Big Grin] ). I love family reunions and get togethers.

That's about it I guess. Yup.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I used an RCP90 in Goldeneye.

Now, the p90x thingy is kind of like any other do-it-yourself workout: it's only really as effective as you are motivated. Usually the key is to stick to a 'no exceptions' rule since skipping one day sets a precedent for .. well, you know.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.