FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bobby Fischer has died

Author Topic: Bobby Fischer has died
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Cold War icon Fischer passes away

quote:
REYKJAVIK, Iceland (AP) -- Bobby Fischer, the reclusive chess master who became a Cold War icon when he dethroned the Soviet Union's Boris Spassky as world champion in 1972, has died aged 64.

Bobby Fischer became an increasingly anti-establishment figure after ending his chess career.

Spokesman Gardar Sverrisson said Fischer passed away in a Reykjavik hospital on Thursday. There was no immediate word on cause of death.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard this this morning. It made me very sad. He was pretty crazy near the end, but still.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
He was a vicious anti-semite, and I'm glad he's gone.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh.
I'm sad to live in a world where my first reaction to the headline was "Huh. I wonder if the US took him down covertly" before having to go "Man, thats *too* paranoid."

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I always felt sad for Bobby Fischer because of how deranged he became, or contempt if he brought his derangement on himself.

His version of shuffle chess looks interesting, though.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

So you don't know whether you felt sadness or contempt?

Though I guess I have known people who were crazier than they needed to be. But I don't think I ever felt contempt because of it. I tend to think "There but for the grace of God go I."

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone - anyone - can go crazy with the right readjustment of body chemistry. I feel piteous contempt for Fischer as well as sadness, and it's a shame he died with his delusions, never seeing past them.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* So much for a chess 960 match between him and Karpov. Sixty-four seems an appropriate age, at least.

Chessbase says that he has had a serious illness for some time.

Edit: Susan Polgar made a list of what she felt were his ten greatest accomplishments.

- Youngest ever Grandmaster
- Youngest US Champion. He won every US Championship he played in, 8 total
- Defeated Spassky in 1972 to become the 11th World Champion
- Youngest ever master in the United States and youngest ever US Junior Champion
- Youngest ever to qualify and participate in the Interzonal
- Won the 1962 Stockholm Interzonal by 2.5 points
- Scored 11-0 in the 1963-1964 US Championship
- Scored 6-0 against Larsen and 6-0 against Taimanov
- Created Fischer Random and Fischer clock

[ January 18, 2008, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of things about Bobby Fisher that make me wonder if he was suffering from some form of autism or related disorder. I noticed from an internet search that I am not the first person to have suggested this.

People who exhibit extraordinary genius, as did Bobby Fisher, seem unusually prone to mental illness. Perhaps someday science will uncover enough of the mechanisms that lead to mental illness to understand why this link exists.

In the mean time, it seems that brains are similar to many other instruments. It is just difficult to get both very high performance and reliability in the same package.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Yeah, hearing he was 64 really caught me by surprise. Kind of the reverse of the Edmund Hillary thing, I guess.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

A vicious Jewish anti-semite. Apparently his mother raised him to be that way, I wonder what her deal was.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
So you don't know whether you felt sadness or contempt?

Though I guess I have known people who were crazier than they needed to be. But I don't think I ever felt contempt because of it. I tend to think "There but for the grace of God go I."

I meant, If he was of sound mind and just being a jerk or worse when he said and did some of his infamous things, I'd feel contempt for that aspect of him. I'd feel sad for him if he was legitimately ill, of course.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

A vicious Jewish anti-semite. Apparently his mother raised him to be that way, I wonder what her deal was.
Eww... born in the same hospital as me, too.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
He was a talented man and I don't think enough can be said about his extraordinary skill.

That skill being, of course, to have his mind expand when confronted by the challenges of a black and white grid, and contract to a degenerate raisin in the face of everything else.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

First Paul Morphy, then Bobby Fischer. Who will be the next American chess genius to go crazy?

Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Nakamura and Seirawan passed with a clean bill of health. My money is on Naroditzky, when he grows up.

[ January 19, 2008, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.