FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cloverfield is a blast. *spoilers* (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cloverfield is a blast. *spoilers*
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
My family agreed that if there were to be a sequel, we wouldn't want to see another monster, or even the same monster, from a camcorder point of view. We'd actually like to see the same movie over again, but from a traditional point of view in some sort of command and control center. I don't even care if they end up beating it or not, I just want a much wider focus than what the movie presented.

I liked it, all in all, and I was surprised because I really thought I wouldn't. Um, some comments based on what I've seen said so far. Yeah Cloverfield was named after the street and they were intending to change the name, but once it got out and people latched onto it, they sort of retconned it.

The helicopter flying over the creature that ended up getting them killed was the stupidest part of the movie. Other than the choice to rescue Beth, which I guess in the context of the movie actually didn't seem that ridiculous, few of the things they did made me go "Why would you do that?" It was great in that regard, I appreciated them not being utterly stupid. Why in God's name would you fly TOWARDS IT!? There were things in the air all over the place, they didn't need to use the chopper with civilians in it to to a visual check, that's dumb. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lily survived right? I got the impression she was the only survivor. I loved the comedy bits, they were very well timed.

I saw nothing during the Coney Island scene, and I was sort of looking. As far as the not gloating thing, that's like the plot formula for those Final Destination movies. Every time it looked like someone SHOULD have died, you count to 15 and then they actually die from something totally out of left field.

And they already made a second Blair Witch, it sucked. Oh man, as soon as I saw the rats I was like RUN! Run!!!! How many movies and what not do you have to see to know that the rats are the best friend you can have in a situation like that. They're like a danger radar, always follow them. And I knew it'd be bad when they turned on the night vision, that whole fight, man, I can only imagine what that must have been like in the DARK without night vision.

And I definitely think Marlana exploded. If the visuals didn't do it, the oooey gushy sound should have clenched it.

Overall I enjoyed it, and I'd like to know what happened, and some of the other details from what else was going on, but the way it was done certainly kept my attention fixed on the screen for an hour and a half. I don't want to see a slew of these movies, but this was a great one time shot.

As an aside, when they were walking down the street and the military came up behind them, I was utterly BLOWN AWAY by the amount of firepower they brought to bear on that thing. Seriously, the rifles, the MLRS rockets, the tank, what I imagine was a .50 cal, I mean Jesus, that stunned me and dropped my jaw. I was impressed in general with how fast the military responded to the situation. My brother, Dad and I all looked at each other and went "woo" when they announced planes were being dispatched from Selfridge AFB. Go Michigan!

Good stuff.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it more than I thought I would have. At the same time, I felt kind of disappointed at the end. The shaky-cam was completely unnecessary. Modern camcorders have steady shot.

I get that the shaky motion is supposed to make it feel more realistic, or draw us in or let us feel the characters blah blah, whatever - don't do it. It's just annoying.

The other thing I had a problem with is the suspension of disbelief. If you give me some info about the monster and the victims, I'm willing to believe what you tell me. Explain it a little bit, and I'll allow that what you say is part of the movie and go with it.

In the absence of any information, I'm forced to come up with all of it myself, so I start looking for holes. Where did the monster live prior to attacking NY? What method of bite causes people to explode half an hour later? What sort of creature can withstand the type of ordinance the US military can put down?

Fun movie, but ultimately it left me with too many questions which I couldn't come up with satisfactory answers for. In other words, I liked it, but it could have been a lot better.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The only time I just couldn't buy it was when it didn't have a scratch on it in Central Park. With what was being dropped on it, especially the tank hits, I refuse to believe that it has armor more powerful than pretty much anything in the modern first world military arsenal.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed on that point, it was getting hit pretty heavily, to the point where if it wasn't blinded and crippled or killed, it should have at least retreated back to the ocean. The only counter argument that I could come up with is that if it's living a few miles underwater than there may be an evolutionary impetus for armour against the pressures involved. However even then I can't see something biological in origin withstanding direct hits from heavy arial ordinance.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zhil
Member # 10504

- posted      Profile for Zhil           Edit/Delete Post 
Since its part of the giant monster genre, shouldn't we respect some logical leaps that come with the monster genre? I'm okay with it not having a scratch, it might be indestructable like Godzilla.

Then again, it's supposed to be a "realistic" monster movie... its very premise is silly.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We'd actually like to see the same movie over again, but from a traditional point of view in some sort of command and control center.
That, if done right, would beawesome. The curiosity I had about the entire situation was killing me.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zhil:
Then again, it's supposed to be a "realistic" monster movie... its very premise is silly.

I've heard it's supposed to be a monster movie from a non-traditional point of view, or a monster movie from the YouTube era of self-conscious video-making.

I have not found any statement by the film makers that they intended the monster itself to be "realistic". [Smile]

Would

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Anybody else hear the static at the veeeeery end of the credits, saying something like... "It's still alive!"

***SPOILER!!!***
(Is it really necessary to mention that by now?)

The sound at the end of the movie, although some people claim says "help us", actually whispers "it's still alive", clear as day, if played backwards. Matt Reeves himself provided the voice for it.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would someone say "it's still alive" backwards?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

I don't know, but it's there.

***SPOILER!!!*** [Smile]

End Credits Audio
http://visuallyimplied.com/clover/cloverfield_endcredits_audio.mp3

End Credits Audio Reversed
http://visuallyimplied.com/clover/cloverfield_endcredits_audio_reversed.mp3

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I believe you. I'm just trying to imagine why I'd take the time to whisper "It's still alive" backwards in that situation.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it's meant to be something someone encoded onto the military tape, and not straight captured audio?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Oh, I believe you. I'm just trying to imagine why I'd take the time to whisper "It's still alive" backwards in that situation.

The same person that would add end credits to a home movie? [Wink]

***SPOILER #2***

At the beginning of the movie, when they have the on screen grid and the DoD case designation, you can see a Dharma logo from Lost on the bottom right (the hexagon).

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I KNEW I SAW SOME DHARMA INITIATIVE $#!& IN THERE! I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but...
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this last night...

Really enjoyed it. The shaky camera didn't bother me, because it made sense in the context of the what was happening.

Something definitely hits the water to the left of the boat in the final scene. I was eyeing the boat expecting something, so I spotted it. It isn't big (not big enough to be the monster). It could have had a 'monstor egg' in it, but not the big daddy.

Question: Did you think the things falling off the monster were offspring? fellow creatures from the black lagoon? parasites (ticks?) that decided to eat some of the little guys?

Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dem:

Question: Did you think the things falling off the monster were offspring? fellow creatures from the black lagoon? parasites (ticks?) that decided to eat some of the little guys?

Unless there is any other information to the contrary, I'm going to go with some sort of parasite or symbiotic lifeform.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

The helicopter flying over the creature that ended up getting them killed was the stupidest part of the movie. Other than the choice to rescue Beth, which I guess in the context of the movie actually didn't seem that ridiculous, few of the things they did made me go "Why would you do that?" It was great in that regard, I appreciated them not being utterly stupid. Why in God's name would you fly TOWARDS IT!? There were things in the air all over the place, they didn't need to use the chopper with civilians in it to to a visual check, that's dumb.

I'm going to agree with mackillian's answer that the helicopter must have been ordered to get in close to get a visual on the monster. I don't really remember what else was in the area at the moment. I can't recall seeing any helicopters, and it may have just been that the one they were in was going to be in roughly the right area anyways, so they just had it go in a bit closer to get a look. Still a bit contrived, but not horribly so in my opinion.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
I KNEW I SAW SOME DHARMA INITIATIVE $#!& IN THERE! I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but...

Want even wilder speculation?

***SPOILER!!!*** [Wink]

Beth's (Rob's girlfriend) full name, as was revealed through her "alternate reality game" MySpace page, is Beth McIntyre.

Many speculate that it is possible that she may be the daughter of, or at least related to, Hugh McIntyre, the Communications Director of the Hanso Foundation, which was part of The Lost Experience.

Considering the apartment they're in in the beginning - a penthouse apartment overlooking Central Park - it's safe to assume that her family is loaded, so it's not too far fetched in that regard.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
I'm going to agree with mackillian's answer that the helicopter must have been ordered to get in close to get a visual on the monster. I don't really remember what else was in the area at the moment. I can't recall seeing any helicopters, and it may have just been that the one they were in was going to be in roughly the right area anyways, so they just had it go in a bit closer to get a look. Still a bit contrived, but not horribly so in my opinion.
If it was alive, you'd know 30 seconds later when it got back up and beat the crap out of the surrounding buildings. You don't send a helicopter with civilians in it to do a job that really doesn't much need to be done, and that could be done by the planes flying around dropping bombs. Just struck me as extra silly.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
If it was alive, you'd know 30 seconds later when it got back up and beat the crap out of the surrounding buildings. You don't send a helicopter with civilians in it to do a job that really doesn't much need to be done, and that could be done by the planes flying around dropping bombs. Just struck me as extra silly.

Yeah, it was a little silly, but what really got me was the way that no matter how many buildings were knocked down and the power went off, it always popped back on within a few seconds.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well that makes sense. Isn't most of the power grid in NYC underground? It never took out an actual power station, and there aren't really any poles for it to knock down, so the shakes and shimmies are going to knock it out for a bit, but it won't take it out entirely. I actually bought that one.

Besides, if the city plunged into total darkness, there'd be no movie. [Smile]

akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
JJ Abrams said that the monster itself was actually a baby, and was in "freakout mode" because it was scared without it's mommy. Don't remember where I saw that though...
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
***SPOILERS***

The "Dharma logo" is actually a Bagua symbol, and is in the shape of an octagon.

I had a feeling that there were actually more than one of the huge monsters, the military never really established that there was only one.

I heard about the splash thing and looked it up on youtube, there is indeed a splash, and an object falling from the sky, but it's extremely difficult to see.

***SPOILERS***

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the movie, but someone I know (not very well) made the comment that she was actually happy when all the people were dying (the characters with dialogue, who you get to know). Is there something wrong with her?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I was happy about that too because I have been waiting for a movie where everyone just dies at the end.
Now, if she was happy that they were dying because she likes to see people die then there is something wrong with her.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Behold... Cloverfield monster, the ACTION FIGURE:

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=863&ID=21030

quote:
Cloverfield Monster Features:

* 70 points of articulation and incredible life-like detail
* Authentic sound
* 14” tall
* 10 parasites
* Two interchangeable heads
* Statue of Liberty head accessory
* Special Cloverfield collector’s edition packaging

Aw, ain't he adorable? Is $100 a bit steep for these things?
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, $100 is the sort of low price you only get on decent figures that will have a long run.

Shopping for high quality figures that have smaller runs is much more expensive.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree with the idea that the movie would be good enough without the handheld-shaky-cam. That's specifically what makes this movie NOT just another monster movie. There were people walking out of the theatre complaining that that was no plot and no "explanation" for anything. Don't they get the whole point of making a movie like this one? It's not meant to be "figured out", but experienced, and I loved it.

Also, according to imdb, the sequel has been announced.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I could have gone with out the experience of motion sickness, requiring me to close my eyes for an accumulated 20 minutes.

There may be no explanation during the movie, but if you read about the hints and clues that have been left by those involved about what really happened, it is clear that it was though out, and at some level explained.

If there was nothing to gain in understanding, it's just a bunch of idiots running around with really neat looking special effects, which does not make a movie. Alright, it was a bunch of idiots running around with neat looking special effects, with just enough information to keep me in a suspension of my disbelief.

I did enjoy it, don't get me wrong. There was just potential for characters that I might have cared about. As is, I couldn't care less which of the characters gets hurt or dies.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.